Rural Values versus Urban Values

antagon

The Man
Dec 6, 2009
The rift in the American political landscape crosses between these two enclaves. Our political parties and our ideologies are polarized along these lines. The demography is dramatically different and the way each group's economies and value systems are constructed pits them naturally against eachother.

This isn't new; our history has been shaped by this fundamental tug of war.

Where do you stand? Does your big-city or small-town identity shape your political ideology?

Where do you stand? Does your big-city or small-town identity shape your political ideology?

I grew up in a pretty small town, but a very progressive small town with a vibrant music and arts scene, the oldest chartered university in the country smack in the middle (the town grew up around it), aggressive historical preservation (Sherman spared my town in his march, so we still had many antebellum buildings), very early, efficient recycling programs and terrific public transit - it was (still is) a wonderful, wonderful little town to live in. Still, you can drive out 5 minutes and be in the middle of nowhere.

Now, I live in NYC and the move was seamless.

I don't think it matters as much where you're from (or what size the town you are from), as to what you're exposed to growing up.

Last edited:
No!
I have the same ideology no matter where I live. I lived in large city's and now I live in a rural area. Where I live has nothing to do with my views.

Rural people tend to be more independent.

Liberals in the big city are dependent on big govt for welfare and such.
Conservatives in the country are dependent on big government farm subsidies and such.

Kidding aside, I love the rural life.
Everytime I went to NYC or Chicago on business I was eager to escape.

here I can take a leak off my back porch, shoot a gun, etc and not go to jail.
I can have animals, grow food, etc.

Green acres is the place for me.
you can keep Park Avenue. Been there.

No!
I have the same ideology no matter where I live. I lived in large city's and now I live in a rural area. Where I live has nothing to do with my views.

US+election+map+by+congressional+district.bmp

the national landscape does not represent the same open-mindedness. how might religious sentiments in the country's decidedly rural bible belt play into the social conservatism in these areas?

There is one issue that may serve as a paradigm between urban and rural values. gun control. Urbanites are directly threatened by gun violence and the country folks seem to think any and all gun control will take away their hunting equipment.

There is one issue that may serve as a paradigm between urban and rural values. gun control. Urbanites are directly threatened by gun violence and the country folks seem to think any and all gun control will take away their hunting equipment.

Both sides have a reasonable perspective, IMO. I've lived in both the sticks and some major cities. In the cities guns are used one way and that's what folks see every day so it's what they base their opinions on. In the rural areas it's a different point of view, but opinions are formed the same way. It's not the only issue with that divide, but it's a good example.

My opinions have changed in some ways over time, it's hard to say if that's just a matter of life and education or if where I've lived has had any influence on that.

I think its the "directly" part that is most threatening in the cities. A misfired shot in close quarters is a little more iffy than where people are a bit more spread out.

I'd rather be rural, some people have never seen a cow or watched a kitten born. New York for instance looks like millions and millions of boxes stacked one upon the other with millions of people stuffed into them, concrete and boxes. When do they get to see the sun? run in the sand, catch a crab or a stumpknocker? Eat watermelon with the juice running down the arms, same with those lucious peaches,, see people who live in concrete and tiny boxes and pay out the nose for it may think art galleries are the bomb,, (and they are) but you just can't beat homemade peach ice cream out by the swimming pool, and grubbing for worms. So, in conclusion, I think you see that the rural folks are much more laid back. as obie wan says "we tend to cling to our bibles and our guns" little rednecks that we are. But his ass came to see us last weekend. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oo there is a prime example of urbanites not have a clue.....i dont hunt....i own guns....why? well the police are not a block away here....i live in a large rural county....it can take the police a minute to get here...i am entitled to protect myself and my home.

unless you really believe that rural areas are just norman rockwell paintings and we have no crime

oo there is a prime example of urbanites not have a clue.....i dont hunt....i own guns....why? well the police are not a block away here....i live in a large rural county....it can take the police a minute to get here...i am entitled to protect myself and my home.

unless you really believe that rural areas are just norman rockwell paintings and we have no crime

Heck, a lot of areas around here there aren't even local police departments. You have to wait for the State Troopers to show up. And they could be 30-40 miles away. Like I said, IMO both sides have a reasonable persepctive from their own experience.

Just wish there were some way to address everybody's needs, but if I had an answer for that I'd be one rich woman.

Fuck the urbanites

You said fuck you to the majority of Americans, I guess you hate democracy huh?

Funny how there are people who say they love America but keep saying they hate the majority of Americans.

the urban culture, attitude, etc, is what I hate... that and the urban elitist attitude

I work in one of the worst urban cesspools around, DC, and you would not catch me living there or wanting to absorb anything from the bullshit culture... hence why I take the train out of that place and live in a more rural area 45 miles away

Forum List

Back