Rural Values versus Urban Values

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGaJrgi_SpE&feature=related]YouTube - The Bystander Effect: No One Cares[/ame]

The rift in the American political landscape crosses between these two enclaves. Our political parties and our ideologies are polarized along these lines. .......

Where do you stand? Does your big-city or small-town identity shape your political ideology?

I think it's more than just rural vs urban, but in my observation, rural-minded people tend to be more practical and independent in lifestyle. One who is independent and self-sufficient is more likely to vote for smaller government, and urbanites who are more group-minded and rely heavily on others tend to vote for more government intervention. It's not as cut and dried as I'm sure I make it sound, but generally seems to be the case.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sypKcpCMpKE]YouTube - Man Killed by Hit and Run Driver - No One Helps[/ame]

It's really no big mystery.

People who have to live in close proximity to other people tend to selfishly vote in ways to make that more tolerable. Those that don't have to worry about that are more likely to selfishly vote in the other direction because they don't give a shit.

In Oregon we have a distinct division between the west and east sides of the state.

The west side is liberal and has the two main population centers - Portland and Eugene. Eugene has always been one of the most liberal zip codes in the country, with the UO and an eternal hippie population. Portland has attracted libs from all around the country who appreciate the atmosphere, the city itself.

Unfortunately, the people in Eugene and Portland, who greatly outnumber the landowners who populate the other side of the state, are more concerned about protecting their right to enjoy their vacations than they care about individual rights and freedoms. They are continually passing restrictive laws which limit what landowners can do with their land, how development progresses, and sucking money into ridiculous mass transit messes that have absolutely no application anywhere but Portland.

I wish I was a charismatic wordsmith like Jefferson. Thankfully, in this case Jefferson and I are of one mind.

"I view great cities as pestilential to the morals, the health and the liberties of man. True, they nourish some of the elegant arts; but the useful ones can thrive elsewhere; and less perfection in the others, with more health, virtue and freedom, would be my choice."

--Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Rush, 1800. ME 10:173

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries as long as they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large cities as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."

--Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787. Papers 12:442

Jefferson on Politics & Government: Commerce & Agriculture

The rift in the American political landscape crosses between these two enclaves. Our political parties and our ideologies are polarized along these lines. The demography is dramatically different and the way each group's economies and value systems are constructed pits them naturally against eachother.

This isn't new; our history has been shaped by this fundamental tug of war.

Where do you stand? Does your big-city or small-town identity shape your political ideology?

I live in a rural town and work in the Bay Area. My ideologies have always been conservative.

I wish I was a charismatic wordsmith like Jefferson. Thankfully, in this case Jefferson and I are of one mind.

"I view great cities as pestilential to the morals, the health and the liberties of man. True, they nourish some of the elegant arts; but the useful ones can thrive elsewhere; and less perfection in the others, with more health, virtue and freedom, would be my choice."

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries as long as they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large cities as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."

jefferson never did seem like a futurist.

I would wholeheartedly disagree...Jefferson hit a bulls-eye 220 year in his future.

Guns don't kill people, Cities kill people.

Why do the rural communities with twice as many legal gun owners and four times the owned firearms have 25 times less gun crime than urban communities?

Look here for firearm ownership study

Of the 22 Missouri counties with populations between 25K and 50K, having a combined population of 806,764 persons, there were 163 total firearm assaults and 2604 total assaults utilizing weapons of any kind.

MSHP stats for 22 rural Missouri counties

During the same period, in only the city of St. Louis and the city of Kansas City contained within the state of Missouri (half is in Kansas of course), with a combined population of 793,587 persons, there were a total of 4,143 firearm assaults and 8986 total assaults utilizing weapons of any kind.

MSHP stats for St. Louis

MSHP stats for KC, MO

The links above don't work anymore as MO SAC has changed their website. Go to the link below and click 'Submit Query'.

The 2006 stats on Missouri crime came from this website : Missouri State Highway Patrol Statisical Analysis Center, they are the most recent available.

The 2004 rural/urban chart came from this website : Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA 2004 study.

If the links for the MSHP data are broken, you can find the information for 2006 here: MO SAC - Data and Statistics - Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Statistical Query

This blog is entirely my own work and research...reproduce it freely in support of the 2nd amendment.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozmWS6xYEw&feature=related]YouTube - The Case Of Kitty Genovese - The Bystander Effect[/ame]

guns don't kill people.

black people with guns on crack kill people.

I would wholeheartedly disagree...Jefferson hit a bulls-eye 220 year in his future.

you're right, jefferson and his virtuous slave labor agriculture really set the mark. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back