Running for office

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I like to bring this up now and then.

IMO if anyone who is holding an elected position state or federal wants to fun for a different office should they be required to resign their current position?
For example

If a senator wants to run for president why should they be paid their salary if they are not doing their job as a senator?
If a governor wants to run for president why should he be paid when he can't do his job because he's campaigning all over the country?

Can any of you go to your boss and say " I'm going to be applying for a new job and won't be able to come to work for a year but I still want you to pay me and if I don't get the job I still want to keep my old position"?

Is it much different than going to your boss and say " I'm going to be applying for a this job again and won't be able to come to work for a year but I still want you to pay me while I am out there trying to keep this job"

Is it much different than going to your boss and say " I'm going to be applying for a this job again and won't be able to come to work for a year but I still want you to pay me while I am out there trying to keep this job"
I don't see how it is.

Senators do not attend sessions and miss votes while campaigning but they still want to be paid

I don't see how it is.

Senators do not attend sessions and miss votes while campaigning but they still want to be paid

House members are in a constant state of campaigning, and getting paid to do it.

Trump held his first official reelection rally in April of 2017, mere months after being sworn into office.

It was never meant to be this way, but we accept it by putting these people back into office year after year

I don't see how it is.

Congresscritters miss votes and don’t attend sessions all the time.

For a variety of reasons ( most often fund raising to for re-election)

Congresscritters miss votes and don’t attend sessions all the time.

For a variety of reasons ( most often fund raising to for re-election)
Which is why they should not be able to keep their jobs if they want to run for a different office

Why?

Why should they be allowed to ignore their duties in order to try and get a better job?

Would that be allowed where you work?
For the same reason they ignore their duties to get re-elected I suppose. What’s the difference?

Forum List

Back