Run-Around For Soldiers At Walter Reed

Discussion in 'Military' started by NATO AIR, Feb 18, 2007.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Congress knows about it, the DOD knows about it, the media knows about it... yet these guys and gals are still getting the shaft. Its up to the citizens now to get movement on this. Perhaps some sort of daily reporting on the plight or condition of soldiers (it could even be anonymous for them, i.e. Soldier #1, etc.) in the post-op phase, along with some regular shaming of the higher-up's stupidity and government snafus that screw folks over.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I came across this and there are links:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OGIwODcxYjlhZjkyMzFlNTRjMjg2NWNhM2UyYjJlYjI=

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I would be happy to see that. I think what's needed is public transparency.

Of course, I don't trust Johah Goldberg that much, I do trust Dana Priest ("The Mission" is still the best book out on the global scope of America's military commands and leaders, and the intricate balance of diplomacy and military action required of the CENTCOM, PACOM, EUCOM commanders) and I think from personal experience dealing with the post-op system, this is damn near 100% true. Its the military way of life unfortunately, piss-poor leadership from the tone-deaf top and a system that is such a cesspool of incompetence that it traps a lot of people in it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I see you are still enjoying your job. ;) I cannot stand Dana Priest, but if there is a problem I'd like to see it addressed too. I think that was what Goldberg was saying.

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Absolutely, its the best job! Where else can a grieving father/husband with the express permission of the Commanding Officer to depart be forced to wait 3 days to fly off the ship because of paperwork snafus?

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    That's horrid. From what I've heard, all my life, the armed services have often had that problem. I'm sorry for the man, and you.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Found this Eddie:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=N2RkYWY4NTRlMmJmZDZiYjg5YmM0ZjIzZmEwYTFkNDE=

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    That e-mail is bogus to me until the "Marine" ID's himself. I'm tired of anonymous e-mails (benefiting either the left or the right) unless they point to information that can be independently authenticated.

The system is at fault here, not the reporters, the Marines or even the staff at Walter Reed (even the incompetent ones). Tone-deaf leadership, countless redundant computer databases and procedures, etc. Geraldo or Bill O'Reilly or anyone else would be great to publicize this and force transparency into the system.

9. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    The good news is that it is nothing new. Troops were still foundering in field hospitals two years after WWII ended.

The bad news is that it is nothing new.

The biggest part of the problem is a cover your six mentality by military medicine. Ever since troops got the right to sue for malpractice, the admin went thru the roof.

As a PFC if I had a sprained ankle, I was told (no shit) to tighten my boot laces and after work to elevate the foot.

By the time I retired a sprained ankle got that PFC all the motrin he could handle THREE DAYS of bedrest, and a followup before I could get my mitts on the malingering sonofa.....

:lol:

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    All that negative attention got something going...