From A Father, About His Son

Discussion in 'Military' started by Annie, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    From another site I frequently read and post on now and again. :clap2: :clap2: :

http://www.plnewsforum.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/16351/

2. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    This father should be proud. military service is a noble and honorable calling.

I deeply admire anyone who choses to serve their country in harm's way...

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I wholeheartedly agree. I also agree with his take on the current forces, as far as education, equipment, etc. The mistakes that were made have been made right, it's time to stop the slamming on that front.

4. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    my only argument has been with the wisdom of this mission.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I know, but Hillary just posted a video saying the troops were under supplied. Not true.

6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I am not entirely sure it is untrue... and really... neither are you.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You are right. But I will say, when in 2002 the troops in Afghanistan needed better body armor, then same in Iraq, 2003, I sent $$, when family members said the troops needed it. Same with baby wipes at the time, we did a collection at school, till the troops yelled, "No more..."

I'm quite confident the families would speak out, aren't you?

I read and contribute as do you, from what I've read, the best of those supporting our troops.

8. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    First off I served for 13 years on two of the oldest ships in the Navy at that time. We were better off than the Russians were during the same time frame with regards to quality of life. Our pay was low but I lived off it and had fun in the process. I was in several parts of the world that had issues and we went to support the mission and it wasn't up to us to dispute openly the agenda. We did our jobs everyday even if it meant a few hours of sleep, no milk to drink, no mail from home for weeks at a time and certainly no emails or cell phones. I admire these troops because they are following the steps of our countrymen and we've also come a long way in many of our abilities to do the job at hand.
    Now right now if it were a different President I’m sure we’d be complaining about there agenda or what they got us into this time. Having said that I’d like to see everyone in office and private civilians just support these troops because they aren’t blind and they can feel the resentment over these actions. I’m glad our forces are voluntary because you have better troops with better attitudes doing the job.
    This story was a lot more than politics but more about the sacrifices this individual made so they could continue there career in the armed services many have no clue what that would be like and I can assure you this individual understands it.

9. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    we share similar experiences.... can you honestly say that you were ever personally impacted by political discussions back home? I know that I sure wasn't in the least. I raised my hand at age 18 in 1968 and retired in '93 and throughout it all, I had my own personal opinions about the wisdom of some of the missions the Navy was sent on, but it was all part of the job... and I knew and fully expected that civilians would quibble about the wisdom of those missions too.... it went with being a member of a military that protected a vibrant and participitory democracy....I am sure that the soviet sailors on the ships that we would always encounter never had any such issues concerning dissent at home, but I wouldn't trade places....would you?

10. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Indeed I wouldn't trade spots with the russians although we sent food and smut over to a couple of shadow Russian frigates about 150 miles off of cam rohn bay. They took our goods and were happy to receive whatever we sent. I got out of the service because of the Clinton Administration policies about doing more with less. It became more and more difficult with doing the job. I was a munitions tech and I can tell you it is very hard to have a minimum load team and 12 birds on the go for the flight schedule! I’m glad I had the experience of being in the service and seeing the world at a different time. If I had it to do over I’d make some changes in my educational back ground for starters and also my duty stations.