"Rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated"

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
(my apologies for paraphrasing Mark Twain)

I have seen numerous articles discussing the end of the Alabama Football Dynasty.

I'm rather surprised at the gloomy way they describe the effect of losing a close game to a highly ranked opponent.

I'm also amused at the idea that an 11-1 season is considered the death of anything.

Since 2008, the Crimson Tide has averaged 12 wins a season. We have also not ended the season ranked lower than #10 (AP Poll). And we have won 3 BCS Championships.

For the last 3 seasons we have had only 1 loss. Considering how few teams have only 1 loss in any given season, to say nothing of 3 consecutive seasons, calling this the death of a dynasty is a bit of a stretch.

We currently have a top recruiting class, and have a wealth of talent. The coaching staff appears stable. So why is there an assumption that we will not be in the hunt for the BCS playoff spot next year?

I have seen numerous articles discussing the end of the Alabama Football Dynasty.

I'm rather surprised at the gloomy way they describe the effect of losing a close game to a highly ranked opponent.

I'm also amused at the idea that an 11-1 season is considered the death of anything.

Since 2008, the Crimson Tide has averaged 12 wins a season. We have also not ended the season ranked lower than #10 (AP Poll). And we have won 3 BCS Championships.

For the last 3 seasons we have had only 1 loss. Considering how few teams have only 1 loss in any given season, to say nothing of 3 consecutive seasons, calling this the death of a dynasty is a bit of a stretch.

We currently have a top recruiting class, and have a wealth of talent. The coaching staff appears stable. So why is there an assumption that we will not be in the hunt for the BCS playoff spot next year?

I suspect that Alabama is still a better team than and would be favored over any which may play for the title.

I suspect that Alabama is still a better team than and would be favored over any which may play for the title.

I believe I saw an article that said we would be favored against any college team in the country.

Considering that a missed field goal has never been run back for a TD (or so I have heard), it is a rare enough thing to qualify as a freak occurrence.

You may "live" in Alabama... but you are definitely not "from" Alabama which is why you don't get it. - Jeri

Any game Alabama plays in is top-notch College Ball.. Maybe SOMEDAY -- Alabama will screw up in recruiting or coaching -- but that's not likely for years to come..

Go Gators ---- (hibernating early this year)

You may "live" in Alabama... but you are definitely not "from" Alabama which is why you don't get it. - Jeri

I don't live in Alabama. I have been in Atlanta for about a year.

But not only am I from Alabama, I am from Tuscaloosa. We used to ride our bikes to campus to watch Bear in his tower. I went to the UA. All 3 of my kids went there too. I am as hardcore a fan as you will find.

I am disappointed with any season that does not end in a National Championship.

I assure you that I get why Bama fans are disappointed. What the OP refers to is the discussion by the media as to the demise of the Alabama Football Dynasty.

But I would be happy to hear why you, Jeri, think the dynasty is over.

'Bama should've three-peated this year.
Should've, would've,......could've.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.....

Repeating as National Champs is tough, and takes a bit of luck. A three-peat takes more of everything. We lost one game on a freak play.

Repeating as National Champs is tough, and takes a bit of luck. A three-peat takes more of everything. We lost one game on a freak play.

Still feeling da' burn, eh?........as in Auburn. Well, you should still be feeling it as a potential 3-peat was only .01 sec. away! .01 sec. away from the closest thing to immortality!

Still feeling da' burn, eh?........as in Auburn. Well, you should still be feeling it as a potential 3-peat was only .01 sec. away! .01 sec. away from the closest thing to immortality!

I never like seeing us lose. I didn't like that game. I didn't like the loss to Texas A&M in '12, and I didn't like the loss to LSU in '11 (although we avenged that loss pretty soundly).

Forum List

Back