Rope-a-Dope

britinusa

Aug 6, 2004
Lewistown, PA
I missed the Lewinsky scandal. It happened the year before I arrived. From what I've learned since, the GOP blew it. They actually lost ground in the mid-term elections. The Republicans - like their sister party in the UK, the Conservative Party - always seemed to be outfought and out-thought by their opponents on the left.
That changed in 2000 with the arrival of the Texas Posse; Bush, Rove, Hughes etc. It was their goal not only to defeat the Democrats, but to destroy them.
In 2002 the Posse ran rings around Tom "Puff" Daschle and Terry "The Punk" McAwful. It was fascinating to watch the GOP give the Dems enough rope to hang themselves, time after time. The GOP regained the US Senate and increased their majority in the House.
I've changed my mind about Karl Rove and the SwiftVets; I think they are coordinating. And do you know something? I don't care!
What they are doing is quite brilliant. Kerry has used his 132 days in Vietnam as a shield to deflect criticism of his pathetic Senate voting record on national security issues.
I'll use a boxing analogy: Your opponent keeps his guard up. You try to get through but your punches are blocked by his gloves and arms. You change tactics and go for the body. His guard comes down. Now you go for head shots. You knock him out.
The SwiftVets have provided the body shots. The Vietnam guard is breeched. So the next time Bush or Cheney attack Kerry's voting record, he can't say "How dare you question my patriotism! I fought in Vietnam! You Didn't! I've got three Purple Hearts! Yadda-yadda-yadda..."
Any time he mentions Vietnam from now on, people will automatically think of the SwiftVets. By the way, I read on one of the blogs that the SwiftVets have an October Surprise already prepared. It will flatten Kerry.
Back to the rope-a-dope theme. Here's a prediction: next month, maybe just before or just after the first presidential debate, the Bush administration will reveal incontrovertible proof that Saddam's WMD are in Syria.

britinusa said:
I missed the Lewinsky scandal. It happened the year before I arrived. From what I've learned since, the GOP blew it. They actually lost ground in the mid-term elections. The Republicans - like their sister party in the UK, the Conservative Party - always seemed to be outfought and out-thought by their opponents on the left.
That changed in 2000 with the arrival of the Texas Posse; Bush, Rove, Hughes etc. It was their goal not only to defeat the Democrats, but to destroy them.
In 2002 the Posse ran rings around Tom "Puff" Daschle and Terry "The Punk" McAwful. It was fascinating to watch the GOP give the Dems enough rope to hang themselves, time after time. The GOP regained the US Senate and increased their majority in the House.
I've changed my mind about Karl Rove and the SwiftVets; I think they are coordinating. And do you know something? I don't care!
What they are doing is quite brilliant. Kerry has used his 132 days in Vietnam as a shield to deflect criticism of his pathetic Senate voting record on national security issues.
I'll use a boxing analogy: Your opponent keeps his guard up. You try to get through but your punches are blocked by his gloves and arms. You change tactics and go for the body. His guard comes down. Now you go for head shots. You knock him out.
The SwiftVets have provided the body shots. The Vietnam guard is breeched. So the next time Bush or Cheney attack Kerry's voting record, he can't say "How dare you question my patriotism! I fought in Vietnam! You Didn't! I've got three Purple Hearts! Yadda-yadda-yadda..."
Any time he mentions Vietnam from now on, people will automatically think of the SwiftVets. By the way, I read on one of the blogs that the SwiftVets have an October Surprise already prepared. It will flatten Kerry.
Back to the rope-a-dope theme. Here's a prediction: next month, maybe just before or just after the first presidential debate, the Bush administration will reveal incontrovertible proof that Saddam's WMD are in Syria.

Nice analogy. I dont doubt at all that the incumbents have something up their sleeve (not just the SBVs) which will have an impact; but I bet the Dems also will have some big announcement as well.

britinusa said:
I missed the Lewinsky scandal. It happened the year before I arrived. From what I've learned since, the GOP blew it.

Well, actually, Monica blew it first, hehe. :69:

They actually lost ground in the mid-term elections. The Republicans - like their sister party in the UK, the Conservative Party - always seemed to be outfought and out-thought by their opponents on the left.

It's actually the media who carries the water for the Dems in this country. But the Republicans are finally out-FOXing the Dems... get it? FOX? Haha, I'm on a roll.

I think the Bush team is very clever, but you got to admit with Clinton and his boldfaced lie to America, who offered up Gore as the next in line, it really wasn't that exciting of a prospect!

And I don't even know how they pulled it off. I guess I was out of it that season. Details?

And get this... the SwiftVets only had 150K of funds to work with. All the anti-Bush 527's have had at least 50 Million in total, and haven't done a damn thing worth talking about. It does go to show how inept their party is these days.

You got it exactly right. Are you sure you're not really an American in Brit clothing? You must really be following the campaign.

Better yet, kick him in the nards!

Yep... he's done for. Now he's back on the trail talking about Jobs again. 1.1 Million jobs "lost" since Bush took office four years ago (in the middle of a recession)... ho-hum.

I heard. They'll show his own testimony to congress in which Kerry accuses the veterans of waging war crimes.

Wow, you really have been following things. Good on ya!

Comrade said:
I think the Bush team is very clever, but you got to admit with Clinton and his boldfaced lie to America, who offered up Gore as the next in line, it really wasn't that exciting of a prospect!

Yeah A few freinds and I were just discussing how the robot candidate always loses (Dole, Gore) and thus this time Kerry will lose based on that method of picking the winner/loser.

Forum List

Back