Ronald Reagan had a record EIGHT government shutdowns! LOL

nomadic5

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2022

I didn't know this until recently.

I'll bet millions of other Americans didn't know it either (I myself didn't follow news back then as diligently as I do now)

But I find it interesting... comical even.. that Reagan obviously didn't care about the bloated Behemoth being put to death... I mean put to sleep... for a short period of time.

:)

from this site:

The first shutdown where a large portion of the government actually stopped functioning came in 1981, when Reagan furloughed 241,000 of the government's 2.1 million employees without pay. [YES! :) ]

This shutdown concerned what’s known as “Reaganomics.” Reagan had campaigned on a platform of cutting domestic spending without hurting Cold War defense funding, and that’s exactly what this shutdown was over. On one side, Reagan wanted to cut domestic spending by several billion dollars; and on the other, the Democrat-controlled House wanted more defense cuts and higher wages for members of Congress and senior civil servants. [OMG! Those greedy *&^%$#s!:mad: ]

In the end, Congress and Reagan worked out a temporary bill to give them more time to work out a long-term spending plan. This was technically the seventh government shutdown over a spending bill disagreement, but the first to impact federal workers on a large scale.

comment

That Reagan... a way better president than I thought!

And I had really, really THOUGHT!

Trump needs to do that.. should have done something like that when he was in office... eh?

Last edited:
so why didn't Trump fire a bunch of govt workers?

It is deep state that is the central problem in our nation --crazies getting away with tyrannically running our country, though UNELECTED

you want to think he will do it the next time aroundbut who knows?

I didn't know this until recently.

I'll bet millions of other Americans didn't know it either (I myself didn't follow news back then as diligently as I do now)

But I find it interesting... comical even.. that Reagan obviously didn't care about the bloated Behemoth being put to death... I mean put to sleep... for a short period of time.

:)

from this site:

The first shutdown where a large portion of the government actually stopped functioning came in 1981, when Reagan furloughed 241,000 of the government's 2.1 million employees without pay. [YES! :) ]

This shutdown concerned what’s known as “Reaganomics.” Reagan had campaigned on a platform of cutting domestic spending without hurting Cold War defense funding, and that’s exactly what this shutdown was over. On one side, Reagan wanted to cut domestic spending by several billion dollars; and on the other, the Democrat-controlled House wanted more defense cuts and higher wages for members of Congress and senior civil servants. [OMG! Those greedy *&^%$#s!:mad: ]

In the end, Congress and Reagan worked out a temporary bill to give them more time to work out a long-term spending plan. This was technically the seventh government shutdown over a spending bill disagreement, but the first to impact federal workers on a large scale.

comment

That Reagan... a way better president than I thought!

And I had really, really THOUGHT!

Trump needs to do that.. should have done something like that when he was in office... eh?
That's one for every year of his time in office! :D

Forum List

Back