Ron DeSantis Suffers Blow As Court Rejects 'Dystopian' Anti-Woke Law

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Well..it appears that there are still some sane people left in Florida..who knew?

A federal court in Florida has denied an attempt to block an injunction issued against Governor Ron DeSantis' flagship "Stop WOKE Act" which prevents it from being implemented at universities.
On Thursday, a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected a request from the DeSantis administration to overturn a previous ruling which blocked the Individual Freedom Act, also known as the Stop the Wrongs to Our Kids and Employees Act, being used in higher education institutions.

The legislation is a continuation of DeSantis' battle against the "woke agenda" and education, which has also seen the governor introducing the "Don't Say Gay" bill and banning the teaching of critical race theory in K-12 classes. Critics have accused the Act of violating the First Amendment, as well as having the potential to harm race relations.
DeSantis' office said they still expect the policy will be fully passed into law.
"The Court did not rule on the merits of our appeal. The appeal is ongoing, and we remain confident that the law is constitutional," Bryan Griffin, DeSantis' press secretary, told Newsweek.
In his ruling, Walker made a reference to George Orwell's novel 1984 while condemning the legislation as "positively dystopian."
"'It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking 13,' and the powers in charge of Florida's public university system have declared the state has unfettered authority to muzzle its professors in the name of 'freedom,'" Walker wrote.

"Defendants argue that, under this act, professors enjoy 'academic freedom' so long as they express only those viewpoints of which the State approves. This is positively dystopian."

Well..it appears that there are still some sane people left in Florida..who knew?

A federal court in Florida has denied an attempt to block an injunction issued against Governor Ron DeSantis' flagship "Stop WOKE Act" which prevents it from being implemented at universities.
On Thursday, a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected a request from the DeSantis administration to overturn a previous ruling which blocked the Individual Freedom Act, also known as the Stop the Wrongs to Our Kids and Employees Act, being used in higher education institutions.

The legislation is a continuation of DeSantis' battle against the "woke agenda" and education, which has also seen the governor introducing the "Don't Say Gay" bill and banning the teaching of critical race theory in K-12 classes. Critics have accused the Act of violating the First Amendment, as well as having the potential to harm race relations.
DeSantis' office said they still expect the policy will be fully passed into law.
"The Court did not rule on the merits of our appeal. The appeal is ongoing, and we remain confident that the law is constitutional," Bryan Griffin, DeSantis' press secretary, told Newsweek.
In his ruling, Walker made a reference to George Orwell's novel 1984 while condemning the legislation as "positively dystopian."
"'It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking 13,' and the powers in charge of Florida's public university system have declared the state has unfettered authority to muzzle its professors in the name of 'freedom,'" Walker wrote.

"Defendants argue that, under this act, professors enjoy 'academic freedom' so long as they express only those viewpoints of which the State approves. This is positively dystopian."
Well, this just makes him a martyr, only angering the jihadis more.

'I can say that you, the children that you serve, the young people that you serve, their families, and you all have support at the highest levels of the federal government.

'President Biden supports you. I as the Assistant Secretary for Health will support you and I talk about this topic, everywhere I go, to get the word out,' she said.

- Dr. "Rachel" Levine on changing kid's genders

'I can say that you, the children that you serve, the young people that you serve, their families, and you all have support at the highest levels of the federal government.

'President Biden supports you. I as the Assistant Secretary for Health will support you and I talk about this topic, everywhere I go, to get the word out,' she said.

- Dr. "Rachel" Levine on changing kid's genders
Democrats aren't hiding there sexual desires with children anymore.

We have a woke induced banking collapse but trying to free kids from it's propo is bad....very bad......only group think is allowed. Enjoy the ride down

It is against the first amendment to tell people that they have to be limited by the EFFIN GOVERNMENT what to think or to express themselves.

We have a woke induced banking collapse but trying to free kids from it's propo is bad....very bad......only group think is allowed. Enjoy the ride down
This thread is about portions of the bill that effect college students, the vast majority of whom are over 18 and adults.
Thus, the State of Florida was mandating what one adult can teach another. Now how is that even a little Constitutional?

What is your definition of "academic freedom" and do you support it for all viewpoints and at all education institutions?

Ever hear of this thing called an appeal?

This thread is about portions of the bill that effect college students, the vast majority of whom are over 18 and adults.
Thus, the State of Florida was mandating what one adult can teach another. Now how is that even a little Constitutional?
State funds? Otherwise, I agree.

Once more slowly....state universities are govt.........wokeness is lib propo.......

I don't know if Democrats get that. The more they attack DeSantis, the stronger he becomes politically.
Yes, that's the point but only to a limited amount. I doubt he will ever be strong enough to be noticed by people who are owned by Trump. Trump will hold onto them.

And those that aren't Magas won't want anything to do with the Trumpism he trying to make work for himself.

What is your definition of "academic freedom" and do you support it for all viewpoints?
In this case, my definition for academic freedom is total Govt. non-interference in the classroom curricullum, absent criminal activity.
All viewpoints? Sure..although those who take on contentious subjects like White Superiority or conspiracy shyte are subject to the judgement of the students and faculty.
Let the college decide..and let the students decide..if they don't agree..they can work it out.

Yes, I know you can parse this out infinitely---and come up with sorts of things. But Govt. interference in the Universities is a bad thing. Freedom to learn, anything, even those things politically or culturally combustible, keeps us as free..or more so, than the application of the 2nd Amendment.
It is our Right as adults and as US citizens.

Forum List

Back