Romneys Mormanism has receded with Gingrich surge

JFKs Roman Catholic faith was essentialy the same as Episcopalian - little if any diff between the 2.

The main issue with JFK was whether he would kowtow to the Pope.

Romneys Mormanism is an entirely different ball of wax.

Can you please spell it right.

It's MORMONISM. Not "Mormanism".

But your point is right. Mormons have a lot of beliefs that are pretty out there, which the mainstream media will be happy to explain to us - after Romney gets the nomination.

• Magic Underwear
  • Baptism for the Dead
  • Ruling your own planet after you die
  • Women can only get into heaven if bonded to a Mormon Man
  • Dark Skin is a curse from God.
  • Every other religion is an abomination unto the Lord.
  • The Native Americans descended from the Jews and God cursed them for rejecting Jesus.
  • Excluding blacks from membership until 1978.
  • Practicing Polygamy all the way up until 1900. (Romney's Great Grandfather fled to mexico so he could keep his plural wives.)
  • Blood Atonement.

Now before Avatar or Listening get on here and try to spin this craziness into something that sounds more acceptable, the point is, unless you buy up all four major networks, good luck with that.

Who could spin that coming from a reasonable buy like you ?

They were allowed to be members before that. It was in 1978 that black men were given the priesthood.

All Mormon men in good standing are part of the priesthood. So denying it to blacks makes them a second class citizen. That's why it was so unacceptable.

Are you really trying to argue that the Church's position before 1978 WAS acceptable?

Jesus, Strom Thurmond had black staffers by 1978. Strom "Segeration forever" THurmond..

Again, if you think this image of a Candidate whose church that calls dark skin a curse from God and didn't allow blacks full membership until 1978 vs. the "Transformational" first Black President isn't going to be something the MSM is going to have a field day with, I think you are living in a sort of denial.

Obama has to play the race card to win. Romney hands it to him.

I corrected you on a fact. That is all.

If you want to keep stating wrong things, then go for it. Projecting something I never suggested upon me as a defense for your lack of accuracy is bad form.

YOu didn't correct any 'facts'. You tried to create what a lawyer would call "a distinction without a difference".

The level of membership to Black Mormons was different than it was to White Mormons. (not that there were a lot of Black Mormons in 1978.) They couldn't get all the same access within the church. They were not allowed FULL membership. I guess they were allowed some kind of membership, not sure how many would have signed up for that.

But they weren't allowed to be members of the Aaronic Priesthood of the Church, to use the technical parlance. Second class membership. Until 1978, when they figured they couldn't get away with that shit anymore.

Just trying to help you sharpen up your act.

That kind of mistake throws things off. Makes you look careless. Interferes with the rhythm of you bashing Mitt.

But if that's the way you like it, sorry for butting in.

Carry on.

Just trying to help you sharpen up your act.

That kind of mistake throws things off. Makes you look careless. Interferes with the rhythm of you bashing Mitt.

But if that's the way you like it, sorry for butting in.

Carry on.

Wasn't a mistake, snookems.... A mistake is about half of what they've been saying in the Smear Campaign of Newt.

You are trying to slice distinctions that still look awful no matter how you slice them. Mitt belongs to a church with a rather ugly racial history. Usually not a good thing, but especially not a good thing when running against Obama with his place in history.

If the GOP nominates Romney, they will be making a mistake of epic proportions.

All Mormon men in good standing are part of the priesthood. So denying it to blacks makes them a second class citizen. That's why it was so unacceptable.

Are you really trying to argue that the Church's position before 1978 WAS acceptable?

Jesus, Strom Thurmond had black staffers by 1978. Strom "Segeration forever" THurmond..

Again, if you think this image of a Candidate whose church that calls dark skin a curse from God and didn't allow blacks full membership until 1978 vs. the "Transformational" first Black President isn't going to be something the MSM is going to have a field day with, I think you are living in a sort of denial.

Obama has to play the race card to win. Romney hands it to him.

I corrected you on a fact. That is all.

If you want to keep stating wrong things, then go for it. Projecting something I never suggested upon me as a defense for your lack of accuracy is bad form.

YOu didn't correct any 'facts'. You tried to create what a lawyer would call "a distinction without a difference".

The level of membership to Black Mormons was different than it was to White Mormons. (not that there were a lot of Black Mormons in 1978.) They couldn't get all the same access within the church. They were not allowed FULL membership. I guess they were allowed some kind of membership, not sure how many would have signed up for that. But they weren't allowed to be members of the Aaronic Priesthood of the Church, to use the technical parlance. Second class membership. Until 1978, when they figured they couldn't get away with that shit anymore.

You mistake interp for narrative, one of your great weaknesses as a poster on this and any other board.

Every church has a poor history of what we call 'human rights.' Some have come along sooner than others. Harry Byrd, for instance, repented long before he died and did his best to make up for his racist behavior; Strom Thurmond never did and never, in fact, acknowledged his black daughter.

The LDS Church has made solid strides on race relations and is far in advance of several of the more wack right wing Christian denominations in America.

So, hypocritically, you preach against a behavior long corrected and yet project your religious bigotry and hatred.

Last edited:
You mistake interp for narrative, one of your great weaknesses as a poster on this and any other board.

Every church has a poor history of what we call 'human rights.' Some have come along sooner than others. Harry Byrd, for instance, repented long before he died and did his best to make up for his racist behavior; Strom Thurmond never did and never, in fact, acknowledged his black daughter.

The LDS Church has made solid strides on race relations and is far in advance of several of the more wack right wing Christian denominations in America.

So, hypocritically, you preach against a behavior long corrected and yet project your religious bigotry and hatred.

Snarky, there isn't an interpretation where "Dark Skin is a curse from God" ever comes off well.

Now, I'll admit, what you call "great strides", I call a really weird, kind of racist cult trying to whitewash the strangeness. And the Mormons have been at this for years. Emphasize the fake niceness, downplay the weirdness.

What I find amazing about you is that we both probably agree that the "whack" religions have too much influence in the GOP. But the Mormons are even more "Whack" than the Evangelicals. They were the ones, who for instance, spearheaded the Prop 8 movement. LDS made up 70% of the contributors to pro-8 pacs, even though LDS make up only 2% of the population of California. Monson announced that they had to support 8, and people emptied out their children's college funds.

If you look at religious fanaticism as a problem in the GOP, nominating a Mormon is like treating a hangnail by amputating the finger.

Forum List

Back