Romney's Green Energy Lie

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Remember when Romney told this lie "I had a friend who said: 'You don't just pick the winners and losers; you pick the losers.'", during the debate.
Oops, there he goes again

Romney zinger: Obama backs 'green' energy losers. Is he right?CSMonitor.com

At Wednesday night's presidential debate, GOP candidate Romney summarized the difference with this zinger: "You put $90 billion — like 50 years worth of tax breaks — into solar and wind, to Solyndra and Fisker and Tesla and Ener1," he told the president. "I had a friend who said: 'You don't just pick the winners and losers; you pick the losers.' "

✄snip>

Of the $90 billion handed out, less than $1 billion has been lost, even counting two other failures Romney didn't mention: Beacon Power and Abound Solar. That's less than the $2.4 billion Congress has set aside for losses, The New York Times points out. If Romney had that kind of record at Bain Capital, he'd be a proud member of the billionaire's club right now.

✄snip>
V
V
V

During the debate, remember when Romney said: "You [Obama] put $90 billion into green jobs. And I -- look, I'm all in favor of green energy. $90 billion, that would have hired 2 million teachers. $90 billion. And these businesses, many of them have gone out of business, I think about half of them, of the ones have been invested in have gone out of business. A number of them happened to be owned by people who were contributors to your campaigns."

So now Romney wants to hire teachers? -- didn't he get the message of Wisconsin?

But here's what Politifact had to say about Romney's rigmarole: Why does it matter if Romney mischaracterized how the money was used, as long as it went to clean energy? He draws a conclusion about winners and losers, and says, "and these businesses, many of them have gone out of business."

It’s a claim that our colleagues at FactCheck.org addressed this week, pointing out that might be true of companies that got loan guarantees in a single year — a sliver of a sliver of the money that Romney’s talking about. But less than 12 percent of the 26 companies that ultimately benefited from the program filed for bankruptcy, FactCheck.org reported.

And the entire loan guarantee program represented just a few billion of the $90 billion investment outlined by the Council of Economic Advisors.

"A very small percentage of all the companies that benefited from the $90 billion in green job spending have gone out of business," said Grabell, the author of Money Well Spent? "Not half of them. Not even half of the loan guarantees. "

Our ruling
We rate his [Romney] claim False.

Star's ruling
Romney and his minions know they can't win with Republican policy so they just make stuff up.
V
V
V

Forum List

Back