Romney wins convincing Michigan victory

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gunny, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It's looking more and more like Romney is the most viable candidate the GOP has.

2. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    its really not of much relevance who has been selected to lose to Hilary
    the fix is in .The Bush dynasty will hand off to their good Friends the Clinton's
    as ordered ,so you will feel the illusion of choice and change

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Dude, loosen the chinstrap ... really ....:rolleyes:

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    You might be right, but the jury is still out and will not return until after the Florida primary, and maybe not then. I do not have a problem with a President being a Mormon. I do not get the sense from Romney that he injects religion into his politics the way that Huckabee does. I do not think that Huckabee will be able to break out of the fact that he is basically the Evangelical candidate of the Religious Right. Here, I use those terms descriptively, and with no pejorative connotation, as on the Left. That he will likely win in South Carolina is good for Huckabee, but hardly decisive. Florida looms large, and there Guiliani makes his move, or he might be out. Should I care about the wreckage present in Guiliani's personal life? Three marriages, kids from whom he is apparently estranged... I think that we probably need a better example of professional success balanced with family success than that offered by Guiliani. Regarding Romney, unless he scores an upset over Guiliani in Florida, it is hard to imagine him winning in New York, California, and Illinois on 5 February. I do not know about Texas. Perhaps Romney will have a reasonable chance there. In terms of the general election, should Romney win the nomination, I think he may turn out to be a much tougher opponent to beat than the Democrats currently realize.

5. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    fine go back to your soap opera if it pleases sorry for spoiling the ending

6. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    He certainly is a handsome devil, isn't he.

7. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    This isn't gonna be the dem party shoo in that Jillian and others think it will. You got two problems that you have to face facts about. Your two leading contenders are a woman and a black man. The fact is when it comes time for voters to walk the walk many people will not vote for them for those very reasons alone.

On the other hand, both sides have the same problem. Unfortunately it seems this part of the process is more of a popularity contest than an issue contest. The dems best chance was Edwards. On the right I really like Thompson. I don't have any faith that many of the other candidates have the cajones to make some desperately needed changes and break from the norm.

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I agree that when it comes down to that closed curtain vote in November that the best Dem shot is with Edwards.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    in that ken doll plastic sort of way, I suppose...

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    The difference is the Dems will come out in droves to vote for their candidate. The religious right is gonna be lukewarm at best about anyone other than Huckabee and will be downright uncomfortable about Romney (which seems bizarre to me, but there ya go). The Paulies are going to follow him to his independent candidacy. The best shot the repubs have is McCain because he gets some independent voters and some cross-over conservative Dems.

Why do you think Edwards has the best chance. I don't know that I disagree with you necessarily. But I kind of think a Clinton/Obama candidacy gets in pretty readily.