Romney wins convincing Michigan victory

it all depends what you want. I am an independent but i am also a conservative as such I cannot vote Dem and i cannot vote for Mccain because he is NOT a conservative. he has not voted for any tax cuts, he is in bed with the Dems on immigration and amnesty and he co authoed a bill with feinstein that is one of the most egregious attacks on the first amendment i've ever seen. But i am also a huge personal liberties / small government guy so I have to like Paul who is just not electable

that narrows down the most electable candidate that I can vote for to Romney .

Ah ambivalence; the essence of American politics

I'm not a natural Repub voter. All in all I've cast more votes for D's than R's. I have no political allegiances. I'm not a party loyalist.

I mentioned that I'm considering casting my vote for him because I wanted to make it clear that I'm not another neocon Giuliani supporter shitting on RP.

I'm one guy on the internet. I didn't say RP would fail to draw any GOP voters, I said he'd draw over more Hillary/B. Hussein voters. So I'm trying to figure out how I "proved" (emphasis added because proof is a very strong word) your point?

Well, if I misjudged, apologies. My assumption was because your major issue is gun rights, that you would rarely vote dem... kind of like someone pro choice going repub right now.

I still think he takes more R's because of the border issues and the "small government" issues. The guys who want to shrink govt' so much that they can drown it in a bathtub love that stuff.

I still think he takes more R's because of the border issues and the "small government" issues. The guys who want to shrink govt' so much that they can drown it in a bathtub love that stuff.

Why do you want to grow government?

Why do you want to grow government?

I don't. But nor do I think that government shouldn't exist. And, frankly, I don't think people who hate an organization should run that organization. So, government haters shouldn't run government.

I'd also reminded you that Clinton downsized government whereas the current admin grew it.

I don't. But nor do I think that government shouldn't exist. And, frankly, I don't think people who hate an organization should run that organization. So, government haters shouldn't run government.

I'd also reminded you that Clinton downsized government whereas the current admin grew it.

Provide evidence of your claim. Specifically the claim that Clinton shrunk the Government

No republican is makeing the claim government shouldn't exist. They obvioulsy don't hate government or they wouldn't have jobs. What many on the right wants is to eliminate that nanny-state mentality that government has become and return it to a state they more closely follows the constitution.

No republican is makeing the claim government shouldn't exist. They obvioulsy don't hate government or they wouldn't have jobs. What many on the right wants is to eliminate that nanny-state mentality that government has become and return it to a state they more closely follows the constitution.

Non-defense, discretionary spending grew faster under W than it did under Slick Willie.

Slick Willie was more of a true economic conservative than Bush is.

It's looking more and more like Romney is the most viable candidate the GOP has.

Romney won Michigan because he told those voters that he would bring in huge Federal bail outs to the state. But he has been campaigning that he believes in less government involvement in state affairs.

So which is it?

If you think Romney is a viable candidate, check your back for where Romeny is sticking the knife.

He was Gov of MA and I am a Ma resident. I can tell you first hand of many bad things he has done as Gov. He doesn't care about the people he seeks control of, he cares about money and power.

Don't believe me? Let's listen to what he offers the next state if he is elected in that primary.

You might be right, but the jury is still out and will not return until after the Florida primary, and maybe not then. I do not have a problem with a President being a Mormon. I do not get the sense from Romney that he injects religion into his politics the way that Huckabee does. I do not think that Huckabee will be able to break out of the fact that he is basically the Evangelical candidate of the Religious Right. Here, I use those terms descriptively, and with no pejorative connotation, as on the Left. That he will likely win in South Carolina is good for Huckabee, but hardly decisive. Florida looms large, and there Guiliani makes his move, or he might be out. Should I care about the wreckage present in Guiliani's personal life? Three marriages, kids from whom he is apparently estranged... I think that we probably need a better example of professional success balanced with family success than that offered by Guiliani. Regarding Romney, unless he scores an upset over Guiliani in Florida, it is hard to imagine him winning in New York, California, and Illinois on 5 February. I do not know about Texas. Perhaps Romney will have a reasonable chance there. In terms of the general election, should Romney win the nomination, I think he may turn out to be a much tougher opponent to beat than the Democrats currently realize.
Unless people get wind of what he did to MA

Non-defense, discretionary spending grew faster under W than it did under Slick Willie.

Slick Willie was more of a true economic conservative than Bush is.

I don't disagree. As a righty you won't get much argument from me that Bush has screwed up more than he's got right

He is sensible. He is pro-war and I am not, but he is against torture, he is against renditions and last I knew, he is against domestic spying.

But I am not all that impressed with him. He is the only repulican, other than Ron Paul that I would vote for.

McCain is a decent guy, at least given his present company.

Was Clinton expanding domestic spying agencies? Was Clinton expanding government contracts to private militias?

The claim is that he shrunk the government. Not growing it anymore is NOT the same thing. Well except in lala liberal land. The same place where an increase in a budget is a cut if it was not as big an increase as some liberal wanted.

Romney is the only hope for one who is a real conservative. Fred Thompson is my #1 choice, but it is not looking good for him so far.

Was Clinton expanding domestic spying agencies? Was Clinton expanding government contracts to private militias?

Given that the circumstance that brought about both events didn't exist during Clinton's administration, your comparison is dishonest.

When you break your rhetoric down into the actual things they are, yes he would have done both, in a heartbeat.

The claim is that he shrunk the government. Not growing it anymore is NOT the same thing. Well except in lala liberal land. The same place where an increase in a budget is a cut if it was not as big an increase as some liberal wanted.

So basically, according to your logic, Clinton would have done wrong no matter what? But if Bush or another Republican came in and did the same thing, that would be okay?

Romney is the only hope for one who is a real conservative. Fred Thompson is my #1 choice, but it is not looking good for him so far.

Hope?

Romeny passed a law in MA that allowed a security company working for the transit authority to violate MA residents 4th amendment rights. They are allowed to randomly search personal bags. If you refuse you are barred from the transit system and the police notified.

Romney recognized that there were a majority of MA residents who were uninsured. rather than look at the insurance companies rampant greed, he passed a law that requires all MA residents to buy health insurance or face tax penalties.

Romney did not raise taxes all that much. Instead he created regressive taxes, aka fee. If an agency did not charge a fee he added one, if they already had a fee, he raised it. Everything we do costs money out of pocket. Permit to burn leaves...fee. Permit to protest...fee. Lodge official complaint with State agency...fee.

Romney sold out the MA shoreline to oil interests. That may sound fair to some people who do not live in MA, but our fishing and tourist trades are two of our biggest cash cows. That is our livelihood. The money that is to be reaped from oil interests does not go to the people of the state. It goes to companies like Fleet and State Street bank. Both companies threatened capital flight if certain fees, taxes and regulations were not pulled back. He relented.

Romney spent most of his last two years campaigning for president (and doing photo-ops). He wasn't here as a leader. If only Bush would be so kind right? Anyhow, when Romeny's Lt Gov lost the election for Gov Romney punished us by cutting the mental health budget for the state. Many very dangerous people were released because the funding did not allow as many people to be hospitalized in wards. Also, many people who rely on medications suddenly could not take their medicine.

Romney targeted the homosexual community, constantly cutting budgets on programs that helped them against bigotry and publically announcing in a televised event that the state must roll back the same-sex marriage decision...which most people in MA are for. We believe in equal rights and have decided on that in many ways through our state legislation.

Do I need to go on? Check his record as Gov. He will make a bad president and worsen the situation for America globally and domestically.

Forum List

Back