Romney to Reid: "REVEAL YOU SOURCES!!!"

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Romney calls on Reid to reveal source as fact-check sites challenge tax claim

Mitt Romney called on Harry Reid Tuesday to reveal the source for his claim that the Republican presidential candidate has not paid taxes for 10 years, stepping up pressure as two major fact-check sites ruled Reid had no basis for the "incendiary" allegation.
Romney, in an interview with Fox News, said he doesn't believe Reid has a credible source but urged the Senate Democratic leader to reveal who it is.

"I don't really believe that he's got any kind of a credible source," Romney said. "I don't know who gave him this line of reasoning, whether it came from the White House or the DNC or a staffer, but he ought to say where it came from, and then we can find out whether that person has any credibility. I know they don't."
He said Reid also has "lost a lot of credibility."

Romney's latest comments came as two major fact-check sites knocked down Reid's comments, which the senator amplified by repeating them last week on the Senate floor. Reid has said his source is an investor with Romney's former venture capital company Bain.

But PolitiFact wrote that it is "far-fetched" to believe Romney paid no taxes for 10 years. Further, the article stated the obvious -- "Reid has produced no evidence to back up his claim other than attribution to a shadowy anonymous source."

PolitiFact concluded: "Reid has made an extreme claim with nothing solid to back it up." They gave the accusation a "Pants on Fire!" rating.

The Washington Post's fact-check column, too, gave Reid's remark the equivalent of a "Pants on Fire!" score. The Post gave it "four Pinocchios," which is the newspaper's score for a claim they knock down.

Read more: Romney calls on Reid to reveal source as fact-check sites challenge tax claim | Fox News

Romney's cool and collected demeanor finally gave way to frustration and told Reid to finally back up his acidic accusations. Now let's see what the dishonest politician Reid does now. Does he put up or shut up?

Mitt Romney called on Harry Reid Tuesday to reveal the source for his claim that the Republican presidential candidate has not paid taxes for 10 years, stepping up pressure as two major fact-check sites ruled Reid had no basis for the "incendiary" allegation.
Romney, in an interview with Fox News, said he doesn't believe Reid has a credible source but urged the Senate Democratic leader to reveal who it is.

"I don't really believe that he's got any kind of a credible source," Romney said. "I don't know who gave him this line of reasoning, whether it came from the White House or the DNC or a staffer, but he ought to say where it came from, and then we can find out whether that person has any credibility. I know they don't."

Romney's latest comments came as two major fact-check sites knocked down Reid's comments, which the senator amplified by repeating them last week on the Senate floor. Reid has said his source is an investor with Romney's former venture capital company Bain.

But PolitiFact wrote that it is "far-fetched" to believe Romney paid no taxes for 10 years. Further, the article stated the obvious -- "Reid has produced no evidence to back up his claim other than attribution to a shadowy anonymous source."

PolitiFact concluded: "Reid has made an extreme claim with nothing solid to back it up." They gave the accusation a "Pants on Fire!" rating.

The Washington Post's fact-check column, too, gave Reid's remark the equivalent of a "Pants on Fire!" score. The Post gave it "four Pinocchios," which is the newspaper's score for a claim they knock down.
Read more: Romney calls on Reid to reveal source as fact-check sites challenge tax claim | Fox News

Romney's cool and collected demeanor finally gave way to frustration and told Reid to finally back up his acidic accusations. Now let's see what the dishonest politician Reid does now. Does he put up or shut up?

reid is trolling, and romney is losing his shit.

do you want this guy to handle the 3:00 am phone call from the iranian presidentroll?

do you want this guy to handle the 3:00 am phone call from the iranian presidentroll?

:clap2:

Yes, I absolutely do. It's akin to, "Mr. Gorbechav, TEAR DOWN this wall!"

What is good about this is that Reid will fade after the election.

He has embarrassed himself beyond repair.

Romney can vilify him and thus start to pave the way for his dethroning...after Romney takes office.

So long Dirty Harry....you pathetic scumbag.

luckily, gorbachev was not a troll, and did not call reagan at 3:00 am joking about having outlawed the usa and beginning to bomb in 5 minutes.

Your fox news link left off this gem from the Washington Post

Robert S. McIntyre, director of Citizens for Tax Justice, said that Romney “probably reported income every year” but that he might have paid as low as a 2 percent tax rate in one year. “That’s close enough to zero for me,” he said.

luckily, gorbachev was not a troll, and did not call reagan at 3:00 am joking about having outlawed the usa and beginning to bomb in 5 minutes.

How many leaders call at 3:00 a.m. joking about bombing in minutes? You my friend are beginning to sound like a troll.

Regardless of whether Reid is full of shit or not (he is), Romney is playing this the wrong way. He's legitimizing the claims and keeping the story alive by firing back which only gives people more reason to believe he's hiding something.

Reid is right in that the only possible way to settle it is for Romney to release 10 years of tax returns. If he doesn't plan on doing that, then Romney should have just responded as such: "Harry Reid said what? *laugh* Good for him. Next question."

Regardless of whether Reid is full of shit or not (he is), Romney is playing this the wrong way. He's legitimizing the claims and keeping the story alive by firing back which only gives people more reason to believe he's hiding something.

Reid is right in that the only possible way to settle it is for Romney to release 10 years of tax returns. If he doesn't plan on doing that, then Romney should have just responded as such: "Harry Reid said what? *laugh* Good for him. Next question."

I disagree. I think he played it just right. The fact check machines are painting Reid as "pants on fire" and full of "pinocchios". Reid is getting the bad press now.

I disagree. I think he played it just right. The fact check machines are painting Reid as "pants on fire" and full of "pinocchios". Reid is getting the bad press now.

i guess the americans won't vote for reid then.

Let's hope that will happen the next time around, lol!

Let's hope that will happen the next time around, lol!

they had a good chance in 2010.

but no, a complete failure ran against him.

my point, besides the trolling: romney is not running against reid.

Poor Mitt! The more he freaks out over this issue, the more it looks like he's hiding something.

What are you hiding, Mitten?

It doesn't matter. He's almost certainly lying about having sources at Bain that would sell Romney out like that but it doesn't change the fact that Romney isn't releasing his tax returns and the left are trying to characterize him as an evil corporatist for it. The more he focuses on Reid, the less he focuses on the real issues.

His message should be crystal clear regarding his taxes. "I've released as much as I'm required to and have my vision squared in on improving the US's ailing economy."

Keep in mind that Romney isn't try to get your vote: he already has it. He needs to get the votes of the people that are undecided. If people that are undecided are buying into the left's claims then he doesn't help put that to bed by keeping the story prominent and further giving the left opportunity to say "why don't you end all this and show your tax returns?"

It doesn't matter. He's almost certainly lying about having sources at Bain that would sell Romney out like that but it doesn't change the fact that Romney isn't releasing his tax returns and the left are trying to characterize him as an evil corporatist for it. The more he focuses on Reid, the less he focuses on the real issues.

His message should be crystal clear regarding his taxes. "I've released as much as I'm required to and have my vision squared in on improving the US's ailing economy."

Keep in mind that Romney isn't try to get your vote: he already has it. He needs to get the votes of the people that are undecided. If people that are undecided are buying into the left's claims then he doesn't help put that to bed by keeping the story prominent and further giving the left opportunity to say "why don't you end all this and show your tax returns?"

...And the right who is telling him the same. If he keeps deflecting it makes him look bad.

If someone was making up lies about you, wouldn't you normally ask who said that? Why defend something when something out of the blue comes at you? That could start an unending barrage of accusations. Make them come clean with the accusation first. Then defend it if there is a legitimate question. Was it his accountant? Then answer it with the paper work.

I heard that Harry Reid might have been involved in the murder of a transvestite prostitute while high on coke

If someone was making up lies about you, wouldn't you normally ask who said that? Why defend something when something out of the blue comes at you? That could start an unending barrage of accusations. Make them come clean with the accusation first. Then defend it if there is a legitimate question. Was it his accountant? Then answer it with the paper work.

if this came out of the blue for romney, who has been running for pres for how many years? then he has no business being president.

also, this is a presidential campaign.

it is dirty.

romney knows dirty. he won the primaries.

Forum List

Back