Romeny's Tax Returns from a Political Analysis Perspective

Release the Returns - The Editors - National Review Online

C'mon, you guys cant demonize the left, the media, the right and the heavens and earth all for Romney. Eventually (done it already) you'll begin to look foolish.

"Everyone doesnt like me" may have worked when you explained to your momma why you have bad grades but it doesnt work in the real world
'NATIONAL REVIEW'? Really? And WHY would I credit them for a fucking thing? Are you MAD? Yes you are. National Review is a MEDIA OUTLET.
Your are truly fucking STUPID.:eusa_hand:

Umm what? "National review is a media outlet.". Umm ok, and water is wet. Whats your point?

Until such time that the media, the morons on this forum, and the rest of the fucking country demands the Obama release the exact same amount of tax returns, it is a dead issue.

Why on EARTH would we demand something that the President (and the Vice President) have already provided?

Romeny is NOT losing any ground to the issue, and he is in fact, gaining more and more dollars from it.

He is losing voters over it. There has been an increasing clamor from Conservatives for Romney to "give over" on his taxes.

Romney has demonstrated that he in fact has a backbone. This is upsetting to the mindless and spineless.
Too fucking bad

Ah. So by refusing to release his tax returns, that demonstrates "backbone"? Did you feel the same way about Obama's BC? I criticized Obama the whole time when he refused to release the BC but then, I'm objective and do not have all my opinions fed to me by party or ideology.

eh. it's just a sideline issue for the Obama captured media to whine and distract about instead of doing their real job..
Hell, their certainly not going talk about the Obama pathetic and consistent failures, that would be counter productive and honest reporting after all...:lol:

That's true because the media never told us about WeinerGate, Solyndra, Jeremiah Wright and so on. We all found out through ...?

I see a lot of "My side vs. your side" here. So let me offer the observations of an Independent. Like I said before, Reid is probably lying his ass off. Normally the burden of proof lies on the accuser. But Romney is not being tried in a court of law, he's running for president. Thus, he is being tried in the Court of Public Opinion. So while I doubt Romney has committed any crimes, only the most faithful of ConservaRepubs feel it's appropriate for Romney to continue withholding his returns. LibDems, Moderates and Indie opinions of him declines as a result.
Obama has come out ahead in every poll since July 11. That includes FOX, Rasmussen and Gallup. Only denial would lead someone to think this isn't an issue.
When the Conservative editors of the National Review says he should release his returns, you know this isn't "just another unfair Liberal attack". It's a legitimate concern for his campaign.

There's NOTHING independent about YOU or your source.
Stow it.:eusa_hand:

Ah. You're hysterical again. And of course as usual, you don't address an issue, topic etc... So I'm a "Leftist" for stating I think Reid is lying, right? Because that's what Liberals do! Or perhaps you're so weak on issues and the intellect necessary to analyze them, slinging childish insults is all you have. Yeah, that's probably it. Let's scroll down and see if you ever address anything on the topic..... Nope! Just a bunch of 6th grade name-calling.
I'm sure there are lots of people who take you verrrry seriously. ;)

1. Yes

2. No, he was told by a Bain investor that Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years.

3. No, it was the Bain investor that lied to Reid.

4. No, Romney lied to the investor, and bragged how he didn't pay taxes for 10 years.

5. No, Romney used gimmicks and loopholes to avoid paying taxes for 10 years.

It's still in Mittens court, and don't expect it to go away. Considering the items found in the only complete return he did release, i.e. taking a $77,000 write off on a limited partnership that only produced $211 in revenue, that he calls his wife's hobby, I think that Romney wants to avoid his other schemes and embarrassments.

Hmm. Someone actually addressing the topic and doing it intelligently. Additionally, it doesn't look good that Mitt is running a campaign calling for .... tax breaks and loopholes for the rich. Politics is a matter of perception and this is not being perceived well.

I see a lot of "My side vs. your side" here. So let me offer the observations of an Independent. Like I said before, Reid is probably lying his ass off. Normally the burden of proof lies on the accuser. But Romney is not being tried in a court of law, he's running for president. Thus, he is being tried in the Court of Public Opinion. So while I doubt Romney has committed any crimes, only the most faithful of ConservaRepubs feel it's appropriate for Romney to continue withholding his returns. LibDems, Moderates and Indie opinions of him declines as a result.
Obama has come out ahead in every poll since July 11. That includes FOX, Rasmussen and Gallup. Only denial would lead someone to think this isn't an issue.
When the Conservative editors of the National Review says he should release his returns, you know this isn't "just another unfair Liberal attack". It's a legitimate concern for his campaign.

Until such time that the media, the morons on this forum, and the rest of the fucking country demands the Obama release the exact same amount of tax returns, it is a dead issue.

Romeny is NOT losing any ground to the issue, and he is in fact, gaining more and more dollars from it.
Obama will have blown his wad by the middle of September, while Romney will begin his spending in September.
So, no.
Call it for what it is. A witch hunt. I'm tired of the Dems whining, kicking their heals on the floor and holding their breath until they turn blue in some kind of temper tantrum.
Like all good parents, they need to learn that having a temper tantrum will get them no where.

A witch hunt? Sure okay I'll call it that. But I started the thread and I'm not a Dem. So it's dirty politics and Reid is probably lying (as I stated in the OP). But regardless of the billions being poured into Romney's campaign by foreigners or whoever (We don't know thanks to Citizen's United, do we?), I deal in facts. The fact is that Romney has lost ground in 9 out of 10 polls since this came out. And if you're referring to me when you say "whining", please point out where I have done anything other than comment on what I think the effects are, and what polls reflect. You on the other hand, are whining. "I'm tired of!"

Sure they will especially from the Leftist media already IN the tank for Obama.
Objectivity they forgot about decades ago.
They're a bunch of liars/manipulators.

Um yes. Nice little tantrum there. The rather obvious difference between us being that I am not fed my opinions and thus was able to start the OP with "Reid is probably lying".

C'mon, you guys cant demonize the left, the media, the right and the heavens and earth all for Romney. Eventually (done it already) you'll begin to look foolish.

"Everyone doesnt like me" may have worked when you explained to your momma why you have bad grades but it doesnt work in the real world

'NATIONAL REVIEW'? Really? And WHY would I credit them for a fucking thing? Are you MAD? Yes you are. National Review is a MEDIA OUTLET.

Your are truly fucking STUPID.:eusa_hand:

Oh my, you're really upset, aren't you? Poor baby. What are today's articles? "

"Is Harry Reid more flaky or malevolent?"
"Romney’s Trip: It was a major substantive success."

I mean, it's obvious you're not what someone would call a "reader" but do you know what "Conservative Media" means? NM. I don't want to upset you any more. You seem like you're about to pop.

I'm not sure why anyone would think he should not release his tax returns.
This should be a normal part of the vetting process.
Have you called for Obama to release his? not the current ones, but the ones 10 years prior to his being elected President.

Hmmm. You're not exactly informed, are you. Obama released six years of returns in 2008. Glad I could educate you a bit. Glad to be of help!

How could Romney be so unprepared to deal with this issue - given the fact that it was his own father, George Romney, who set the prescedent in 1967 by releasing 12 years of his income tax returns!

It isn't as if Romney and his PACs were above resorting to "smear" tactics themselves - even when it comes to fellow Republicans.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_f5u_diz0]Rick Santorum parodia a Mitt Romney - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

There has to be something he doesn't want people to see. It may be something substantive, or it may be something that just "looks" bad given the current economic climate.

Either way, why in the world would he even run with this kind of potential handicap? It's weird enough that the Tea Party-controlled GOP nominated him, but did he really think he could just say no and escape unscathed?

Politicians, ugh.

I see a lot of "My side vs. your side" here. So let me offer the observations of an Independent. Like I said before, Reid is probably lying his ass off. Normally the burden of proof lies on the accuser. But Romney is not being tried in a court of law, he's running for president. Thus, he is being tried in the Court of Public Opinion. So while I doubt Romney has committed any crimes, only the most faithful of ConservaRepubs feel it's appropriate for Romney to continue withholding his returns. ]

Your analysis is off. The only mistake at this point would be allowing the democrats to continue to set the conversation by making this a point of focus. The only people who will get really incensed over this are the far left who would never vote for Romney anyway. Independents are fleeing from obama as it is, and won't focus on this unless the Romney campaign lets it get legs it doesn't deserve.

I sincerely HOPE that Romeny does not release those tax returns.

Why?

Well the unknown is probably much worse than the known, in this case.

Romney probably did NOT pay any taxes during that period, and he probably did nothing wrong by not paying them.

But either way, the issue will continue to embarrass him.

If he never releases the records people will imagine that he's illegally avoiding paying taxes.

If he does release them people will KNOW that he's legally avoided paying taxes.

Either way, I suspect many Americans arent going to be happy about that reality..whatever it is.

I don't see the upside to him releasing anymore than he has nor any further downside to not.

They want to make polical hey about tax issues that the people don't understand such as capital gains tax being the second tax on income.

I think people understand perfectly well that Romney pays a lower tax rate on interest on money he's already earned. No one is taxing the money he already has.

And here's where I think the problem is. When the markets tanked in 2001 and 2008, it's probable that Romney posted capital losses, which means he possibly didn't pay anything in taxes.

which again, would just remind everyone of the gap between Romney and normal people. He could get hit with huge losses and barely miss a beat while so many of us- even those of us who only had our 401K - took huge beatings and still ended up paying taxes while he got a pass.

I sincerely HOPE that Romeny does not release those tax returns.

Why?

Well the unknown is probably much worse than the known, in this case.

Romney probably did NOT pay any taxes during that period, and he probably did nothing wrong by not paying them.

But either way, the issue will continue to embarrass him.

If he never releases the records people will imagine that he's illegally avoiding paying taxes.

If he does release them people will KNOW that he's legally avoided paying taxes.

Either way, I suspect many Americans arent going to be happy about that reality..whatever it is.

Precisely. Put another way; there is a difference between something being illegal and appearing non-presidential. This story has been around for 3 weeks and this has been the difference since day one. Thank goodness someone else finally said it. It may start to sink in now to some other folks.:eusa_whistle:

I see a lot of "My side vs. your side" here. So let me offer the observations of an Independent. Like I said before, Reid is probably lying his ass off. Normally the burden of proof lies on the accuser. But Romney is not being tried in a court of law, he's running for president. Thus, he is being tried in the Court of Public Opinion. So while I doubt Romney has committed any crimes, only the most faithful of ConservaRepubs feel it's appropriate for Romney to continue withholding his returns. ]

Your analysis is off. The only mistake at this point would be allowing the democrats to continue to set the conversation by making this a point of focus. The only people who will get really incensed over this are the far left who would never vote for Romney anyway. Independents are fleeing from obama as it is, and won't focus on this unless the Romney campaign lets it get legs it doesn't deserve.

It has legs and independents are not "fleeing" from the President who is leading in most swing states.

Right-leaning and admitted conservative commentators have called for the Governor to release tax returns.

Quote: Originally Posted by Unkotare

"The call for more information about Romney’s financial past, however, is bipartisan. A poll released today found fifty six percent of all voters, including sixty one percent of independents, think that Romney should release twelve years of returns."

OOps.

The Conservative editors of the National Review think he should release his returns.

Are *they* the far left?

These republicans think he should release his returns:

George Will.

Bill Kristol.

Ron Paul.

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley.

Michael Steele. (Former chair of the RNC)

Rep. Walter Jones. (R-NC)

Rep. Pete Sessions. Sessions (R-TX)

Gov. Haley Barbour

Matthew Dowd. (Conservative commentator)

Rick Tyler. (Republican strategist)

John Weaver. (Republican strategist)

Brit Hume (You know who he is...)

David Frum. (conservative journalist)

John Feehery. (republican strategist)

Texas Gov. Rick Perry

Sen. Chuck Grassley

Sen. Dick Lugar

Wayne MacDonald (Chair of the New Hampshire GOP)

Mike Murphy (veteran GOP consultant who has worked for Romney in the past)

LINK

Ed Rollins (Top GOP strategist)

Are they the far left?

"The call for more information about Romney’s financial past, however, is bipartisan. A poll released today found fifty six percent of all voters, including sixty one percent of independents, think that Romney should release twelve years of returns."

OOps.

The Conservative editors of the National Review think he should release his returns.

Are *they* the far left?

George Will.

Bill Kristol.

Ron Paul.

Gov. Haley Barbour

Texas Gov. Rick Perry

Sen. Chuck Grassley

Sen. Dick Lugar

LINK

Are they the far left?

:clap2:

Lugar is no longer a Senator...but spot on post!

Again, until Romney comes correct this will dog him and prevent any progress toward beating President Obama in the fall.

We don't know of course but it could be argued that whatever he's apprehensive about releasing wouldn't do as much harm as he is doing by not releasing it.

Great list. It also, I feel, underscores a point I made that his own campaign seems ill prepared for the national contest. They were able to mow down his opponents by simply spending more, destroying the other guy, and moving on. That isn't working against President Obama.

Yet.

I saw where the Governor got another $100 million in donations last month. He should start spending some of that. He's running out of undecideds to go after and has virtually no hope of winning over any of the President's supporters at this point. He should have started this back in May.

Lugar is no longer a Senator...but spot on post!

Again, until Romney comes correct this will dog him and prevent any progress toward beating President Obama in the fall.

We don't know of course but it could be argued that whatever he's apprehensive about releasing wouldn't do as much harm as he is doing by not releasing it.

Great list. It also, I feel, underscores a point I made that his own campaign seems ill prepared for the national contest. They were able to mow down his opponents by simply spending more, destroying the other guy, and moving on. That isn't working against President Obama.

Yet.

I saw where the Governor got another $100 million in donations last month. He should start spending some of that. He's running out of undecideds to go after and has virtually no hope of winning over any of the President's supporters at this point. He should have started this back in May.

Lugar is a senator until his term runs out.

To the point, though... Romney seems to think that this is going to be a turnout election. If he can just get the people who don't like Obama to turn out, he can win.

No one has ever won an election that way.

There has to be something he doesn't want people to see. It may be something substantive, or it may be something that just "looks" bad given the current economic climate.

Either way, why in the world would he even run with this kind of potential handicap? It's weird enough that the Tea Party-controlled GOP nominated him, but did he really think he could just say no and escape unscathed?

Politicians, ugh.

Maybe it's not the voters seeing them that he's worried about. Maybe he doesn't want the LDS church to know...they are very strict about their tithing after all...:eusa_whistle:

Politicians, ugh.

Maybe it's not the voters seeing them that he's worried about. Maybe he doesn't want the LDS church to know...they are very strict about their tithing after all...:eusa_whistle:

I can't picture this guy cheating his fellow Mormons.

Everyone else, yeah.

I think it's more likely that when he was getting no income other than investment income, and the markets tanked in 2001 and 2008, he may have posted capital loses and paid nothing.

I find it interesting his cutoff was 2010. The markets were still bleeding bad in 2009.

I hope he never releases them. I defend to the death his right to conceal his legitimate but immoral actions from "those people". Who are "they" to judge him anyway? Right now he is probably making $10,000 bets that he won't have to release anything.

Stand your ground Mitt!!! Better to go down with everyone thinking you are a jerk rather than releasing those forms and proving it.

OOps.

Are *they* the far left?

George Will.

Bill Kristol.

Ron Paul.

Gov. Haley Barbour

Texas Gov. Rick Perry

Sen. Chuck Grassley

Sen. Dick Lugar

LINK

Are they the far left?

BUT But but....the Liberals!!!! *snarl*

The other thing is Carney said Reid is on his own. I do believe Reid does have Obama's blessing, but it's not as effective if Obama's spokesman wont touch it......so they know in the end it'll probably end up a loser.

Should this continue into the campaign I cannot wait for the debates. You can bet your Bippy Obama will use it there, as often as possible.

Losing issue? This is gift from God that will simply keep on giving. The more it is allowed to grow the more it will give.

Whatever else is true Mitt is scared to death to release these forms and I am sure he has good reason.

Quite simple and logical...

Romney is reluctant to release any more returns becuase he knows how the pundits will spin them.

For example...his 2010 returns, following proper procedure, recorded his LEGAL off shore accounts..

And yet for some reason, the pundits are talking about his "hidden" off shore accounts.

That is known as spin.

Need I say more?

Forum List

Back