Romans 12:19 and the desire for revenge...opinions?

So, for those of Faith who follow the Book, how do you interpret this?

Romans 12:19
Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

To me, this suggests to live virtuous and do what is right, the Lord will even the debt. I certainly don't believe one should be passive against immediate threats or danger, but to those who have done you wrong, go forward with integrity, character and truth and their fate will be decided by a Higher Power.
It's cowardly and selfish, because an unpunished criminal will go on to harm others.

What of someone who was falsely sent to prison, or in which someone bore false witness to harm him?

It is not a case of turning the other cheek in all things in life, it is often out of someone's control, or harm done to one not even known. When it is known. it requires self control to not seek revenge, of course, often it isn't known, in which case this still should be held in truth. The Lord will even the score as required and as deserved.
Not Taking Revenge Is Anti-Social

You're using a strawman that would let criminals continue in their chosen careers because, in rare cases, people might be falsely convicted. Do the math: "Better to let 10 guilty go free than convict one innocent" leads to hundreds of more innocent victims of those who got away because of an inhibited justice system.

Revenge is a healthy instinct that, though seeming to be selfish, winds up preventing other people from becoming victims.

The original post is correct. Vengeance belongs to the Lord.

I hope conservatives happy that progressives are out of power remember that

When They're Down Is the Best Time to Kick Them

I hope Conservatives and Populists take full revenge on the progs and make sure they never rise again.

that's ridiculous the Almighty is never an aggrieved victim of a mortals contempt ...

I hope Conservatives and Populists take full revenge on the progs and make sure they never rise again.

then again, for those mortals yet to learn their lesson there's always fire if a flood is not an option as just punishment and Divine pleasure.

that's ridiculous the Almighty is never an aggrieved victim of a mortals contempt ...

then again, for those mortals yet to learn their lesson there's always fire if a flood is not an option as just punishment and Divine pleasure.

Did your prophet, Michael, tell you to write that?

Last edited:

no, straight from the Almighty ...

try it sometime book reader, you might learn something on your own worth repeating.

Governing well will do more to ensure that than petty acts of revenge

I would be careful in calling the Almighty a liar.

no, straight from the Almighty ...

try it sometime book reader, you might learn something on your own worth repeating.

Do you mean like failed behaviors lead to failure? Something like that? You know that's in the Bible too?

"that's ridiculous the Almighty is never an aggrieved victim of a mortals contempt ..."

other than just being obstinate, your's is a book of lies made in the 4th century christian.

"that's ridiculous the Almighty is never an aggrieved victim of a mortals contempt ..."

other than just being obstinate, your's is a book of lies made in the 4th century christian.

The new trinity; breezewood, shimon and HaShev. Saving Christians from Christianity.

Forum List

Back