Role Playing Games ...

I think for some, this whole internet message board thing is a role playing game. Reminds me of a Brad Paisley song ... "I'm So Much Cooler Online.":lol:

I must have lost part of my imagination somewhere along the line. Pretending to be something or someone I'm not has ZERO appeal to me. It's hard enough just being me.

Being you is a tough job. But somebody has to do it.

It's interesting to try and figure out the different reasons people post the way they do. As for trying to be cooler online, I think about 30% are here for that as one of their main reasons. But they usually get caught up in some argument and blow that image fairly fast. :lol:

Gunny, you probably would not have much enjoyed my last board, in spite of the very creative people who frequented it. Care was on a similar board and she loved it. It was anarchic and required some readjusting the way you think about interacting with people. At times it was a big masquerade ball, a game of guess who. It could be loads of fun and then it could get very frustrating to. You had to focus on content and not authorship if things got too hectic. It all worked out surprisingly well. A new software format made it barely usable, but some still inhabit it's ruins.

Even anarchy has parameters. As long as those parameters were defined, I couold easily coexist on an anarchic board. Then it comes down to personal preference. In that, you are probably right. I get no enjoyment out of deception for the sake of it, so I would probably not like the board.

General: Gaming is a hobby, and like all hobbies age has very little to do with it. So you don't "grow out of it". What appeals to you as a hobby may change with time, but then any hobby can change like that. Again though, the flaw is this thinking it's "pretending to be someone else", that's acting not gaming. Also there are games that use other genres beside generic fantasy. Shadowrun is serious sci-fi and fantasy mix (though works better as a miniatures game). Warhammer is a strategy game crossing a lot of genres. Call of Cthulhu is 1930's horror. C.J.Carellas Witchcraft is modern magick. The list of games is huge and I can't even list all the ones I own here. It is just imagination, for those who think you grow out of it, do you stop dreaming? Do you stop reading books? Gaming is combining those two, but instead of reading you are writing stories. Perhaps if fewer people "grew out of it" we would have better movies and books than the garbage we have had lately.

General: Gaming is a hobby, and like all hobbies age has very little to do with it. So you don't "grow out of it". What appeals to you as a hobby may change with time, but then any hobby can change like that. Again though, the flaw is this thinking it's "pretending to be someone else", that's acting not gaming. Also there are games that use other genres beside generic fantasy. Shadowrun is serious sci-fi and fantasy mix (though works better as a miniatures game). Warhammer is a strategy game crossing a lot of genres. Call of Cthulhu is 1930's horror. C.J.Carellas Witchcraft is modern magick. The list of games is huge and I can't even list all the ones I own here. It is just imagination, for those who think you grow out of it, do you stop dreaming? Do you stop reading books? Gaming is combining those two, but instead of reading you are writing stories. Perhaps if fewer people "grew out of it" we would have better movies and books than the garbage we have had lately.

People might even experience reality more and act on it. It's all in how you chose to spend your lifetime. As far as we know it's still a limited commodity.

People might even experience reality more and act on it. It's all in how you chose to spend your lifetime. As far as we know it's still a limited commodity.

You do realize that RPG's are just like the models used to predict reality as well? Not just climate. However, if you are talking "American Idol" reality ... blech. If people had more to do they probably wouldn't be out on the streets killing each other so much to. Though it's personal preference as you say, it's just you can't "grow out" of any hobby, just say it's something that you don't enjoy doing. Remember, gamers are not these trekkie nerds that dress up as ... whatever those funky looking aliens are. Many of us study a wide range of science and technology to incorporate into the games. There are a few sci-fi games (Traveller is the best example) that utilize celestial mechanics, the creators of the game did a ton of research to make it as realistic as they could based on the science at the time. GURPS has historically accurate modules. Though to play them you wouldn't have to learn much, it's fun to test the accuracy of the games. Again, gaming is only about 10% playing, the rest of the time is usually spent verifying facts, debating theories and goofing around. Then there are the miniature collectors and painters who focus on the artistic part. Story tellers who design and create entire worlds on paper. So many facets so little time. I had one gamer who loved to actually debate on which FTL travel theory was more probable. So reality is part of the games. Vidiots who play the electronic games are the ones that like to escape reality, you don't really have to think for those at all.

You do realize that RPG's are just like the models used to predict reality as well? Not just climate. However, if you are talking "American Idol" reality ... blech. If people had more to do they probably wouldn't be out on the streets killing each other so much to. Though it's personal preference as you say, it's just you can't "grow out" of any hobby, just say it's something that you don't enjoy doing. Remember, gamers are not these trekkie nerds that dress up as ... whatever those funky looking aliens are. Many of us study a wide range of science and technology to incorporate into the games. There are a few sci-fi games (Traveller is the best example) that utilize celestial mechanics, the creators of the game did a ton of research to make it as realistic as they could based on the science at the time. GURPS has historically accurate modules. Though to play them you wouldn't have to learn much, it's fun to test the accuracy of the games. Again, gaming is only about 10% playing, the rest of the time is usually spent verifying facts, debating theories and goofing around. Then there are the miniature collectors and painters who focus on the artistic part. Story tellers who design and create entire worlds on paper. So many facets so little time. I had one gamer who loved to actually debate on which FTL travel theory was more probable. So reality is part of the games. Vidiots who play the electronic games are the ones that like to escape reality, you don't really have to think for those at all.

That's great for a recluse--have fun.

I am a recluse now, haven't been my whole life. Gaming is very social in reality, which is one reason I don't play much anymore. However I do still design them, and their modules, as a hobby. I could even make some money off them if I needed it.

I am a recluse now, haven't been my whole life. Gaming is very social in reality, which is one reason I don't play much anymore. However I do still design them, and their modules, as a hobby. I could even make some money off them if I needed it.

Glad you're taking that last step away from society. Pretty soon you won't even need this joint.

Glad you're taking that last step away from society. Pretty soon you won't even need this joint.

Meh, I don't need this forum, no one does. It's just fun.

Meh, I don't need this forum, no one does. It's just fun.

with people too---imagine that. :lol:

Sounds like a long-winded code for "pretending to be someone else."

"Taking control of a character" is STILL assuming another character's identity.

when i dress up as a catholic shoolgirl and my wife as the headmaster......boy was she in for a surprise when she reached under that skirt......

oh sorry....wrong thread....

uh fifa where you get to create your own player.....

when i dress up as a catholic shoolgirl and my wife as the headmaster......boy was she in for a surprise when she reached under that skirt......

And was I ever surprised when my girlfriend and I played the, "I pick you up like a stranger in the bar" game, but when I got there, some guy was already playing my part. I hadn't planned on having to kick someones ass....

...ooops... wrong thread? :lol:

Forum List

Back