Rocket To Mars ?......Why ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Does anybody know why the Trump Administration thinks it to be a good idea to spend Billions$$ of our tax dollars, sending a rocket to Mars ? What could be the gain from an investment like that ? This is an important question since we're talking about a lot of money going out, when we have a $19 Trillion debt, and lots of other things needing money.

What makes this thing even more odd, is that at the same time this was planned, Trump was planning to cut the Coast Guard's budget by $1.3 Billion, which thankfully that bad idea has been scrapped, and the Coast Guard will now receive its full budget.

Feel free to input your top 2 suggestions of how else the Mars mission money could/should be better spent. There probably are hundreds of these.

It's important not only for the ancillary benefits it will provide, but because we are explorers. We were not satisfied by merely looking out of the cave. We wanted to see what lays beyond the next hill. It is deep in the human race to explore.

Probably only because a Mars landing is a lot easier on the spacecraft than a landing on the Sun.

:D

IKR? Why don't you protest space exploration and throw away your computer, phone, water filtration, your scratch resistance lenses and you better not ever get a cat scan!

Any money spent on space exploration is money well invested. Unlike the money wasted on entitlement programs.
False rationalization. Ask you folks to send back their Social Security checks. Tell mothers that it's just too bad if they cannot afford to feed their children, and then tell those children that it's their fault.

Does anybody know why the Trump Administration thinks it to be a good idea to spend Billions$$ of our tax dollars, sending a rocket to Mars ? What could be the gain from an investment like that ? This is an important question since we're talking about a lot of money going out, when we have a $19 Trillion debt, and lots of other things needing money.

What makes this thing even more odd, is that at the same time this was planned, Trump was planning to cut the Coast Guard's budget by $1.3 Billion, which thankfully that bad idea has been scrapped, and the Coast Guard will now receive its full budget.

Feel free to input your top 2 suggestions of how else the Mars mission money could/should be better spent. There probably are hundreds of these.
with space exploration comes advances in Engineering,Physics and many other sciences.....and its kinda pointless after all we have done so far to just stop,like we did with the Moon,we should already have a Base up there.....and as far as spending money,the more Countries we ask to join us the less we spend.......

Any money spent on space exploration is money well invested. Unlike the money wasted on entitlement programs.
False rationalization. Ask you folks to send back their Social Security checks. Tell mothers that it's just too bad if they cannot afford to feed their children, and then tell those children that it's their fault.

It's not a false rationalization at all.

And yes, don't have kids you can't afford, and I'll tell those kids it's their parents fault. It's true.

It's not the child fault at all, but the parent is at fault and should have used commonsense and not breed if they can not afford the child.

I agree with Predfan on this one...

It's not the child fault at all, but the parent is at fault and should have used commonsense and not breed if they can not afford the child.

Do you agree that spending on entitlements is wasted money?

for me it depends on what entitlement....

I agree all types of welfare from Social to corporate welfare are wasteful as can be.

I know you will ask me if I will be sending my social security check back and seeing I am not drawing one mean I will not be sending it back.

Also before you proclaim I am anti-abortion please note I support a woman right to end the pregnancy.

So does that help at all!?!

with space exploration comes advances in Engineering,Physics and many other sciences.....and its kinda pointless after all we have done so far to just stop,like we did with the Moon,we should already have a Base up there.....and as far as spending money,the more Countries we ask to join us the less we spend.......
Doubling Mankind's Prosperity

The same advances would come as spinoffs from a practical goal down here on Earth,such as developing the immense natural resources of Antarctica.

Because we never fail to gain scientific knowledge and technological advances from space exploration.

This is the most common (and flimsy) excuse for space exploration. ho hum. You haven't heard the billion of times answer to this ?

"scientific knowledge and technological advances" (spinoffs) can come from ANY type of scientific endevour. Why not spend the money in a more useful manner (stem cell research, cure for cancer, multiple sclerosis , etc)

It's important not only for the ancillary benefits it will provide, but because we are explorers. We were not satisfied by merely looking out of the cave. We wanted to see what lays beyond the next hill. It is deep in the human race to explore.
If you can AFFORD it. We can't. And we have important needs for the money. Space exploration is not important.

Already answered in post # 17.

Any scientific endevour would have created ancillary benefits (and probably much more useful ones)

According to Democrats, progressives, and other assorted ideological nutcases, Social Security is not an entitlement but citizens withdrawing their own funds from a retirement supplementation program.

I guess a different boogeyman needs to be used.

Forum List

Back