Robins by the garage door

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
We have a pair of Robins nesting right next to the back door to the garage. So, I thought I'd take a few pix and share them. If the eggs hatch I'll try and get some pictures of the chicks.

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0670.jpg

DSCN0666.jpg

I have them under the overhang here and I came home once last year when the babies were doing something on the grass with the mother, maybe learning to get worms or something. I just walked up my sidewalk and that mother was screeching at me and flying around trying to protect her babies.

I was wondering how you got those shots with her around.

So cute! I'm showing these pictures to my kids. If you have a videocamera, it would be nice if you could videotape the little chicks when they hatch.

I have them under the overhang here and I came home once last year when the babies were doing something on the grass with the mother, maybe learning to get worms or something. I just walked up my sidewalk and that mother was screeching at me and flying around trying to protect her babies.

I was wondering how you got those shots with her around.

Mom basically just sits on the eggs while Dad gets the chow. When I walk past they simply fly away, presumably because the eggs aren't worth defending.

When they hatch however, it's a different matter. They dive bomb anyone or anything that comes close. The dogs are in for a rough few weeks.

So cute! I'm showing these pictures to my kids. If you have a videocamera, it would be nice if you could videotape the little chicks when they hatch.

So long as it doesn't turn into a Hitchcock movie I'll see what I can do.

BREAKING NEWS...... (I'm starting to sound like DavidS)

3 eggs hatched. Don't like to take pix now as I'd have to use the flash. Will see if I can get them in the morning.

Just to bring you all up to date with the rest of the story.

When the Robin eggs hatched as mentioned earlier, they looked like this. Uugh!

DSCN0764.jpg

By this time, Mom was finally able to leave them and get a bath in our fountain.

DSCN0801.jpg

Last edited:
The next day, we found one of the chicks dead in the middle of the garden. The kids were heartbroken (for about 25 minutes).

We have no idea whether the other 3 chicks survived.

The adult Robins have gone, and their nest has disappeared as well. You'd never know it happened.

They are precious. I love that little tuft of fur on both sides of it's head. Boy those robins grow up so fast.

Forum List

Back