Robert Reich explains the "Free Market" in a nutshell.

Microsoft has a monopoly on Windows.
Apple has a monopoly on Apple products.

dear, any company has a monopoly on its own products. When we say monopoly we mean one competitor in a large category like operating systems, personal computer hardware etc etc that gives them some measure of price and quality control.

I understand that we should not be allowing trade goods into the USA built for 17 cents an hour and with no regulatory requirements when we have a minimum wage limit of 7.50 and heavy regulatory requirements. Do you understand?

so yo're theory is that lower prices should not be allowed between states cities and countries??????

I gave you several examples, take yer pick, babe.

you gave 20 idiotic examples of necessary liberal interventions into the free market to protect consumers and said you could go on an on. In fact, all liberals can go on and on as if to perfectly demonstrate they lack the IQ to understand how capitalism itself is the best protector of consumers in human history and as if to demonstrate they have no concept whatsoever in mind with which to organize their ever growing lib commie interventions.
Dear i only need one example did you miss it?

dear, any company has a monopoly on its own products. When we say monopoly we mean one competitor in a large category like operating systems, personal computer hardware etc etc that gives them some measure of price and quality control.
Huh? No. Monopoly does not mean one and only one competitor in a large category.

I understand that we should not be allowing trade goods into the USA built for 17 cents an hour and with no regulatory requirements when we have a minimum wage limit of 7.50 and heavy regulatory requirements. Do you understand?

so yo're theory is that lower prices should not be allowed between states cities and countries??????
No my theory is not "that lower prices should not be allowed." Are you a moron? Or do you just pretend to be a moron?

Huh? No. Monopoly does not mean one and only one competitor in a large category.

he stupidly said Apple had a monopoly on Apple products. A monopoly would be if Apple had no competition in cell phones, for example, and even then it would only be a bad thing if they charged high prices and had low quality rather than low prices and high quality to keep new competition from forming.

he stupidly said Apple had a monopoly on Apple products. A monopoly would be if Apple had no competition in cell phones, for example, and even then it would only be a bad thing if they charged high prices and had low quality rather than low prices and high quality to keep new competition from forming.
Incorrect. If our government decides all cell phone architectures must be "open" architectures so as not to create monopolies on supply of phones that use said architectures... then apple would have to open up and allow third parties to be able to make cell phones that run ios. Imagine if you will a world where TV shows could only be played on apple TVs. When government allows exclusivity.. those markets are monopolized by the monopoly owner. Android is an open architecture. Apple a closed one.

Locally you may be restricted to one and only one provider of telephone, cable, etc., or be forced to look for more expensive and limited alternatives like wireless. Again when a corporation is given a monopoly on a region for a type of service... that corporation owns your ass and can run the prices up and not even provide you the service you might otherwise want. For example, the telephone and cable providers that own my region, flat out refuse to provide me internet service. If I want internet I have to buy wireless.. and guess who owns the wireless and is charging by the gigabyte? Ayup.. same people that refuse to let me hook up via fiber. This even after the USA paid for fiber to each and every home in the US.

Last edited:
. Android is an open architecture. Apple a closed one.

dear, are you saying Apple has a monopoly in cell phones??
What part of apple architecture being a closed one confuses you so much? You can't be this ignorant.

dear, are you saying Apple has a monopoly in cell phones?? This is a yes or no question!!
No. That was a silly question. I clearly said they have a monopoly on apple architecture. FYI: IBM PC architecture was open.. that's why IBM was not the only one that built IBM personal computers. If it was not open you would have no Dell and no Microsoft and no.....

What part of apple architecture being a closed one confuses you so much? You can't be this ignorant.

dear, are you saying Apple has a monopoly in cell phones?? This is a yes or no question!!

Well no. It is not.

Apple has proprietary software and hardware.

Well no. It is not.

Apple has proprietary software and hardware.
Exactly. Thus the question.... should we allow corporations that hold large market shares, like microsoft, and apple,... to have closed proprietary architectures.

There was a time in this country when our government said no and started breaking up corporations that previously held such monopolies. Mergers between mega corporations were few and far between. AT&T merging with DirecTV would not have been allowed, for example.

Forum List

Back