Robert Prechter says bull market over

Zander

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2009
Los Angeles CA
Robert Prechter (of the Elliot Wave Theorist) sent an interim bulletin to his subscribers yesterday. He says the bull in stocks is over. The topping process will be completed over the next few weeks. He expects the market to shift from complacency to fear.

He then posited that , If he's right, this is very bad news for the Clinton's. Bear markets bring scandal to fore. The current Clinton scandal will only get worse as the destructive social mood that will emerge in a bear market will differ entirely from the supportive bull market of the 1990's and the last few years when they kept getting off the hook......

May you live in interesting times.

With 2017 (look up non-incumbents elected president in years ending in 6) and 2010 coming up yeah that's a safe bet.

He's funny.
I'll never forget the buy call he made....it was Monday morning October 19, 1987.

You're mistaken. He actually gave a sell signal in October 1987 and it's very well documented. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?

Last edited:
He's funny.
I'll never forget the buy call he made....it was Monday morning October 19, 1987.

Ok- here is the real deal -: Market Bears Prechter Out Leading Analyst Predicts A Down Wave For Market - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

On Oct. 5, Prechter advised his newsletter subscribers to sell all their stocks and invest in cash-equivalent investments, such as money-market funds.

On Oct. 15, he changed his mind. In a special bulletin subscribers received Black Monday, Prechter suggested that they resume buying stocks but to sell those stocks if the Dow Jones industrial average fell to 2,170. (Prechter recommends using stop-losses, orders to sell stocks if prices drop to a certain level. The Dow closed at 2,413 Oct. 14 and at 2,355 Oct. 15.)

Most investors, fortunately, had little, if any, time to act on Prechter's advice because of the rapid descent of stock prices. On Black Monday, the Dow, a familiar measure of stock prices, plunged an unprecedented 508 points to 1,739.

pixel.gif

Measuring a market analyst's accuracy is difficult, Prechter said. ''Suppose I say, 'The market should rally to 2,080,' and the market peaks at 2,100? Somebody might say, 'Wow, that's a great call.' Another person might say, 'No, you said 2,080, and the market went to 2,100.' ''

Everyone makes mistakes, Prechter said, so the real issues are how often do stock-market analysts stumble and whether their clients lose money.

He's funny.

You're mistaken. He actually gave a sell signal in October 1987 and it's very well documented. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?

Nope. My boss subscribed to his newletter.
You could call and hear his recorded messages.
On Monday morning, after the first 100 point down day ever, the previous Friday,
he had a buy recommendation. My boss recorded it. For some reason, it stuck in my mind.

He's funny.

On Monday morning, after the first 100 point down day ever, the previous Friday,
he had a buy recommendation. My boss recorded it. For some reason, it stuck in my mind.
see my post above yours.

He's funny.

see my post above yours.

I saw it. And his Monday morning message said buy.

He's funny.

Ok- here is the real deal -: Market Bears Prechter Out Leading Analyst Predicts A Down Wave For Market - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

On Oct. 5, Prechter advised his newsletter subscribers to sell all their stocks and invest in cash-equivalent investments, such as money-market funds.

On Oct. 15, he changed his mind. In a special bulletin subscribers received Black Monday, Prechter suggested that they resume buying stocks but to sell those stocks if the Dow Jones industrial average fell to 2,170. (Prechter recommends using stop-losses, orders to sell stocks if prices drop to a certain level. The Dow closed at 2,413 Oct. 14 and at 2,355 Oct. 15.)

Most investors, fortunately, had little, if any, time to act on Prechter's advice because of the rapid descent of stock prices. On Black Monday, the Dow, a familiar measure of stock prices, plunged an unprecedented 508 points to 1,739.

pixel.gif

Measuring a market analyst's accuracy is difficult, Prechter said. ''Suppose I say, 'The market should rally to 2,080,' and the market peaks at 2,100? Somebody might say, 'Wow, that's a great call.' Another person might say, 'No, you said 2,080, and the market went to 2,100.' ''

Everyone makes mistakes, Prechter said, so the real issues are how often do stock-market analysts stumble and whether their clients lose money.

And at 2247, Friday's close, he said buy.

Everyone makes mistakes

No kidding. 27 years later, I still chuckle when I see his name.

Robert Prechter (of the Elliot Wave Theorist) sent an interim bulletin to his subscribers yesterday. He says the bull in stocks is over. The topping process will be completed over the next few weeks. He expects the market to shift from complacency to fear.

He then posited that , If he's right, this is very bad news for the Clinton's. Bear markets bring scandal to fore. The current Clinton scandal will only get worse as the destructive social mood that will emerge in a bear market will differ entirely from the supportive bull market of the 1990's and the last few years when they kept getting off the hook......

Seems reasonable enough prediction. But you completely lost me with what it has to do specifically with the Clintons and their history of scandals. Hillary simply running for President is what brings scandals to the forefront. Not a bad economy. And btw, a bear market in itself doesn't mean a bad economy. That is what is so messed up about the stock market in current years. A lot of Americans are just as well off in a bear market because money it tends to mean there is (god forbid) wage inflation and otherwise lower prices.

Seems reasonable enough prediction. But you completely lost me with what it has to do specifically with the Clintons and their history of scandals. Hillary simply running for President is what brings scandals to the forefront. Not a bad economy. And btw, a bear market in itself doesn't mean a bad economy. That is what is so messed up about the stock market in current years. A lot of Americans are just as well off in a bear market because money it tends to mean there is (god forbid) wage inflation and otherwise lower prices.

We agree. I also do not believe the price of stocks has anything to do with "the economy".

As to the Clinton's- Prechter has a philosophy that he calls "socionomics". He explains it here....Socionomics Explained

He makes a compelling case.

While not a big fan of Prechter or many others sell in May and walk away is usually a good idea.

The market is not yet an official bear so this could be a relatively minor tremor.

Dow plunged before close today.
Tomorrow not looking any better.

A 15-19% head fake plus recovery before the serious carnage begins would be my guess. Commodity and productivity driven deflation seem to be here to stay.

I didn't want to reply to your post until I saw todays' close (Wed.). Monday, an intraday bear-trap, Tuesday, another one, tho' less got trapped, today +600 points at the close. It will still take a couple of months of volitility to shake out, but I think your post is spot-on for the short term!!! (I knew there was a reason I liked you........).

I suspect a minor return of the bear if the Sept. rate increase is postponed but a couple of things will have to sink in before there is blood flowing in the streets:

Deflation and deleveraging is being imported into the US.

China-EU trade has crashed according to the BDI in large part because China is experiencing more outsourcing than we are. African workers are reaching the point where they can replace no longer cheap Asian labor. Everyone and especially China has missed the boat on this one.

Forum List

Back