Rising Polls For The Electoral College

The numbers correlate with Trump's vote percentage, just about the same.

This is not surprising, is nothing new, and is unimportant.

Last edited:
No that poll was not right, most people , the Dems are fed up with what happened in 2000 and this election.

The EC is old and obsolete. Not needed anymore.

Given a few moments to think about it, I think even most Americans recognize that democracy is profoundly stupid - indeed, it poses the real risk of Rule by the Stupid.

It would not be difficult to present a long list of fairly important questions on which most Americans (a MAJORITY) are totally ignorant or misguided.

But my personal opinion is that the worst part of "democracy" as we see it in the U.S., is that the concept of a voter's conflict of interest is never even considered. Should I vote for the person who is most likely to increase my welfare check? To sign off on a fat union teachers' contract (voter being a teacher). People who don't pay any taxes, or - worse - who depend on Government for the majority of their income should NOT be allowed to vote.

If the non-productive and government teat suckers were removed, no Democrat would ever win another election.

No that poll was not right, most people , the Dems are fed up with what happened in 2000 and this election.

The popular trend today is to channel James Madison who once said "the Electoral College is not perfect, but it is excellent" Without the Electoral College and assuming the President is elected by a majority of the popular vote then NY state and California (the states with the most population AND solidly Democrat) would decide the election. The purpose of the College is to allow the States to elect the President. I support that goal.

Given a few moments to think about it, I think even most Americans recognize that democracy is profoundly stupid - indeed, it poses the real risk of Rule by the Stupid.

It would not be difficult to present a long list of fairly important questions on which most Americans (a MAJORITY) are totally ignorant or misguided.

But my personal opinion is that the worst part of "democracy" as we see it in the U.S., is that the concept of a voter's conflict of interest is never even considered. Should I vote for the person who is most likely to increase my welfare check? To sign off on a fat union teachers' contract (voter being a teacher). People who don't pay any taxes, or - worse - who depend on Government for the majority of their income should NOT be allowed to vote.

If the non-productive and government teat suckers were removed, no Democrat would ever win another election.
I think the Founders though a democracy was not a good choice either. Probably why they established the US as a Republic.

The popular trend today is to channel James Madison who once said "the Electoral College is not perfect, but it is excellent" Without the Electoral College and assuming the President is elected by a majority of the popular vote then NY state and California (the states with the most population AND solidly Democrat) would decide the election. The purpose of the College is to allow the States to elect the President. I support that goal.
Correct. The quote is from Alexander Hamilton, not Madison.

I believe there will not be an EC in 2020.
The National Popular Vote Plan" designed to circumvent the Electoral College has gained significant support and has an outside chance of being put in place. The Electoral College provision is embedded in the constitution and would require an 2/3 majority in both the House and Senate to pass and 3/4 of the States to be ratified. I am pretty sure this is not going to happen.

Texas has the second highest population. The electoral college was created, in part, to appease slave-owners. It's time for an update.

If the Democratic party wasn't such a regional party located within a few large population centers throughout the country, it wouldn't be an issue to them. Small geographical areas with large populations can be easily manipulated for political purposes, while its much harder to do that with the entire country which has different needs. Its a great reason to keep the EC

The National Popular Vote Plan" designed to circumvent the Electoral College has gained significant support and has an outside chance of being put in place. The Electoral College provision is embedded in the constitution and would require an 2/3 majority in both the House and Senate to pass and 3/4 of the States to be ratified. I am pretty sure this is not going to happen.
TX may have the second most population and is currently Republican, BUT TX is quickly becoming purple and would not have as much influence (differential) in a popular vote system..

The National Popular Vote Plan" designed to circumvent the Electoral College has gained significant support and has an outside chance of being put in place.

Based on the number of states controlled by Republicans versus the number controlled by Dems.....very outside.

TX may have the second most population and is currently Republican, BUT TX is quickly becoming purple and would not have as much influence (differential) in a popular vote system..

BUT TX is quickly becoming purple

I heard Hillary may win Texas.

How will the color change if millions of illegal aliens get the boot?

Americans think that voting for their candidate does it. They don't realize that they should have figured out how the their state's vote fits into the big EC picture. They should also understand how their vote can mean nothing, even if most people vote as they voted.

Forum List

Back