Rise of the Super-Rich Hits a Sobering Wall

Well, we have two wars going and are trying to pull the nation out of a quagmire created by the last administration. Why not return to the tax structure of WW2?
Or maybe the current Nincompoop-in-Chief could actually follow through on some campaign promises, by bringing the troops home and quit whinin'-n-cryin' about how virtually everything is all the fault of BOOOOOOSH.

Ferchrissakes, even Bubba didn't piss and moan this much about Poppy Bush.

concept:

// What? Why aren't any libs here calling you out for this racist comment?//

Calling my words a "racist comment" is pure conjecture and projecting on your part. As you read the written word, beware what your own subconscious thoughts and feelings will make it different in intent.

I do not have any racial motivation in anything I write, I merely wrote on our president's skin color while playing to a previous reply. Please stay calm and do not immediately attack someone as being a racist. I do understand the republican ploy of directing others into a defensive position, but I do not see the need here, tyvm.

sign me 'da white gal' who voted for 'da black guy'..one of many who gave him a huge landslide success in 2008.

Pointing out the hypocracy. What does it matter that he's "da black guy"?

Had I wrote, you libs would be all over it.

Not fun to have the race card pulled is it? But don't get your panties in a bunch.

Last edited:
Rise of the Super-Rich Hits a Sobering Wall

By DAVID LEONHARDT and GERALDINE FABRIKANT
Published: August 20, 2009
NY Times

The rich have been getting richer for so long that the trend has come to seem almost permanent.

They began to pull away from everyone else in the 1970s. By 2006, income was more concentrated at the top than it had been since the late 1920s. The recent news about resurgent Wall Street pay has seemed to suggest that not even the Great Recession could reverse the rise in income inequality.

But economists say — and data is beginning to show — that a significant change may in fact be under way. The rich, as a group, are no longer getting richer. Over the last two years, they have become poorer. And many may not return to their old levels of wealth and income anytime soon.

For every investment banker whose pay has recovered to its prerecession levels, there are several who have lost their jobs — as well as many wealthy investors who have lost millions. As a result, economists and other analysts say, a 30-year period in which the super-rich became both wealthier and more numerous may now be ending.

The relative struggles of the rich may elicit little sympathy from less well-off families who are dealing with the effects of the worst recession in a generation. But the change does raise several broader economic questions. Among them is whether harder times for the rich will ultimately benefit the middle class and the poor, given that the huge recent increase in top incomes coincided with slow income growth for almost every other group.
In blunter terms, the question is whether the better metaphor for the economy is a rising tide that can lift all boats — or a zero-sum game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/business/economy/21inequality.html

Edited for copyright policy - KK

less rich=less business=less jobs=more poor.. way to go liberals ya done ya some good. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

How is free trade a bad thing that makes everyone poorer? I realize that I get my Nike's from some sweatshop in Vietnam where the kids make $1 a day. However, the kid that made my shoes is employed and earning money for his family. If he doesn't want to be "exploited" for $1/day, he can choose to work somewhere else. He works at the sweatshop though, so it follows that he benefits somehow. And I get my shoes cheaper than they would be if manufactured in the US, leaving me more money to spend on other things and stimulate the economy further.

Regarding Swiss bank accounts and the like, maybe that's an indication that the US needs to revise its tax policy. It's probably not a good thing if capital keeps trying to flee the country like that to avoid our fairly harsh income tax codes. It would be nice if all of that money could get invested in business and innovation coming out of the US, but there isn't a lot of incentive to do that.

The problem is that it takes all the less rich people together to make the rich people rich, and the well is dry. How freakin rich do they have to be? They got all of Bush's tax breaks and we got no jobs and bogus financial instruments and a $60T pile of CDS. How many yachts does one need?

So if it were up to you, you would cap their wealth?

Lets run with this, what's your cap? How much should we let them make through their own hard work before we take it and spread it around?

:lol:
Amazing.
Under Eisenhower those making more than $400,000. paid 91% income tax. Raising their taxes now would more than pay for the healthcare problem.

The problem is that it takes all the less rich people together to make the rich people rich, and the well is dry. How freakin rich do they have to be? They got all of Bush's tax breaks and we got no jobs and bogus financial instruments and a $60T pile of CDS. How many yachts does one need?

So if it were up to you, you would cap their wealth?

Lets run with this, what's your cap? How much should we let them make through their own hard work before we take it and spread it around?

:lol:
Amazing.
Under Eisenhower those making more than $400,000. paid 91% income tax. Raising their taxes now would more than pay for the healthcare problem.
and also under Ike, they had more things they could use as deductions

Well, we have two wars going and are trying to pull the nation out of a quagmire created by the last administration. Why not return to the tax structure of WW2?

Sure.. if we can return to the welfare programs of WW2 as well.

coldfusion:

...with all the Swiss Banks, and offshore banks giving up their secrets to the IRS, we can look forward to many wealthy people who have stashed their untaxed millions in foreign banks will now have to pay taxes owed, penalties, plus having their names published toooooo. Oh the futility of it all.

The US government will be very rich after the wealthy pay their back taxes, penalties plus universal health care for the poor. Da Dems have it all if we can get da black guy to focus a little more, and get rid of Rahm, Geithner, and a few others we can get America back to nearly normal.

Just think how rich we'd be if IsnTreal payed back all they have owed since 1950 !

How the hell did that "quote" become associated with ME!?

CF, repeat after me: It's all my fault, it's all my fault, it's all my fault, then click the heals of your Nikes together three times and it'll all go away.

What if I wear Merrils? Or I guess I could put on my work shoes which are Eccos.......Bets comfort shoe around.

coldfusion:

It is my understanding that the Swiss and United States have come to an agreement as to names, addresses and balance of accounts. We are still in negotiation with offshore banks as we speak.

Many wealthy US citizens who have Swiss accounts have already capitulated in regard to the IRS and have agreed to pay their back taxes and penalties. I am waiting for Halliburton, Big Oil, Pharmaceuticals, Cigna etc to give it up on their off-shore accounts also. It is gonna happen unless President Obama breaks a deal and calls it "negotiation".....

I would worry about Obama's or any member's of congress safety if they really pushed this. There is so much money, and so many influential people. I would love to see it happen, but I don't want anyone to end up slumped over a dashboard. Jeez! Scary times we live in.

Forum List

Back