Ringo Starr was an AWESOME drummer! Titanic

Really? I'm a drummer and I've known a few pro drummers;--- can anybody link me to some of Ringo's drumming that would impress me as awesome?

Know that my gold standards are Michael Walden, Billy Cobham, and Carl Palmer.
No Gene Krupa, the only drummer in history who could hold his own witn Buddy Rich?

No Gene Krupa, the only drummer in history who could hold his own witn Buddy Rich?

Well of course they were both great drummers, technical drummers who were known mainly for their solos and big bands built around and following their lead rather than them integrating into the beat of others, but of a different era a little hard to equate directly with a lot of modern drummers---- they wore suits and ties while drumming to jazz on minimalistic sets that most today would consider starter drum sets now and not the monster sets of today with all kinds of bells and whistles they never even lived to see.

Ringo is a great drummer for sure....but also a great singer! I like Ringo a lot!

Free Your Soul

Yes. That was the first thing that crossed my mind too.

oh no....Ringo lives a very happy life along with his beautiful wife Barbara Bach.....for many years now!:thup:

1692935846879.png

I just listened to take 16 of “I am the Walrus” on the Beatles Anthology, it sounds like just John on electric piano and vocals and Ringo on drums and it’s absolutely stellar, gigantic monstrous version of the song. I sent it to my nephew who is a musician and he too was blown away by it

For me, it was the first time I got the unfiltered Ringo. I used to believe Rolling Stone and other rock critics nonsense that Ringo was an anchor and sucked as a drummer. Absolute crap! Ringo was stellar

I never figured how to upload a link on the mobile but will later
I recently saw Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band.

Great show.

And not long before that, I saw Paul McCartney in a really large venue. Every seat was filled.

My 18 year old daughter bought the tickets to both shows. She is a YUGE fan of the Beatles.

I raised her right.

Great show.

And not long before that, I saw Paul McCartney in a really large venue. Every seat was filled.

My 18 year old daughter bought the tickets to both shows. She is a YUGE fan of the Beatles.

I raised her right.
There’s a video of Ringo performing Photograph shortly after George passed and Ringo tells the audience the George helped compose the song so now the song has deeper meaning because he only has a photograph of his friend and bandmate

Great show.

I raised her right.

Pre Covid Beatle expert Scott Freiman did a Summer series for a number of years "deconstructing" various Beatle albums at a local theater. I attended 4 or 5 of them. I saw Paul at Citifield in Queens and Paul had a ukelele and in the intro to a song he claim that "Something" was actually his idea. During the Q&A section at the next "Deconstructing" presentation, when Scott would appear on stage and present, I asked Scott about Paul and Something and If I recall, he said Paul liked to take credit for many things that weren't necessarily his.

I highly recommend Scott Firemans "Deconstructing" the Beatles series

Forum List

Back