Ringo Starr was an AWESOME drummer! Titanic

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
I just listened to take 16 of “I am the Walrus” on the Beatles Anthology, it sounds like just John on electric piano and vocals and Ringo on drums and it’s absolutely stellar, gigantic monstrous version of the song. I sent it to my nephew who is a musician and he too was blown away by it

For me, it was the first time I got the unfiltered Ringo. I used to believe Rolling Stone and other rock critics nonsense that Ringo was an anchor and sucked as a drummer. Absolute crap! Ringo was stellar

I never figured how to upload a link on the mobile but will later

I just listened to take 16 of “I am the Walrus” on the Beatles Anthology, it sounds like just John on electric piano and vocals and Ringo on drums and it’s absolutely stellar, gigantic monstrous version of the song. I sent it to my nephew who is a musician and he too was blown away by it

For me, it was the first time I got the unfiltered Ringo. I used to believe Rolling Stone and other rock critics nonsense that Ringo was an anchor and sucked as a drummer. Absolute crap! Ringo was stellar

Yes, Ringo is grossly under rated as a drummer.

Man, don't scare like that! I thought Ringo passed when I read your thread!

Or Neal Peart, or Buddy Rich!

Moon was on Planet 9, but Peart was pretty good, if a bit of a pretentious showman with a totally gizmoed-out drum set with twice as many drums and things than he really needed or could play, most of which only got used was because they were there to fit them into the show somehow.

Wanna see a real drummer?

The human drum machine. And he is an old man here! Keith and Greg are both long dead! There is no beat this guy can't do. Show me one thing Ringo has on this guy?

Starr was under appreciated because he and the rest of the Beatles were not drivers of the big drum solo. In fact, the only solo across the entire library was in Abbey Road, the Beatles last album.

Listen to "A Day in the Life" to get a real feeling for how Starr's work drove the Beatles music.

Starr was under appreciated because he and the rest of the Beatles were not drivers of the big drum solo. In fact, the only solo across the entire library was in Abbey Road, the Beatles last album.

Listen to "A Day in the Life" to get a real feeling for how Starr's work drove the Beatles music.
Rock critics were of the opinion that: Ringo Starr sucked, Grand Funk Railroad sucked, Led Zeppelin III sucked and Frank Zappa was a talentless comedian. Unfortunately, most of that stuck

Moon was on Planet 9, but Peart was pretty good, if a bit of a pretentious showman with a totally gizmoed-out drum set with twice as many drums and things than he really needed or could play, most of which only got used was because they were there to fit them into the show somehow.

Wanna see a real drummer?

The human drum machine. And he is an old man here! Keith and Greg are both long dead! There is no beat this guy can't do. Show me one thing Ringo has on this guy?

I’m not saying Ringo was better than any of them or could sight read like Vinnie Colaiuta!

He’s far better than I ever credited him.

I could see a small band playing “I am the Walrus” because of how I heard Ringo as a driving force.

Rock critics were of the opinion that: Ringo Starr sucked, Grand Funk Railroad sucked, Led Zeppelin III sucked and Frank Zappa was a talentless comedian. Unfortunately, most of that stuck

Yup. The reality is the critics were no talent hacks.

In their defense, weak as it may be

The Beatles style never emphasized or put the drums out front
Lennon and McCartney so dominated the group as to make Harrison and Starr look like little more than hanger oners.
And our ability to hear the drums has increased a hundredfold over the last 50 years.

Anybody saying that today is nothing more than a beatbox fool.

I’m not saying Ringo was better than any of them or could sight read like Vinnie Colaiuta!
He’s far better than I ever credited him.
I could see a small band playing “I am the Walrus” because of how I heard Ringo as a driving force.

How odd that you mention Vinnie-- -- I first saw him playing in a local nightclub when he was just starting out in the industry who ended up playing tours with a friend of mine.

How odd that you mention Vinnie-- -- I first saw him playing in a local nightclub when he was just starting out in the industry who ended up playing tours with a friend of mine.

I believe that the Vinnie/Arthur Barrow/Frank Zappa collaboration on most of Zappa's numerous "Guitar" releases is among the best improvisational music in human history

Forum List

Back