Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don't Pay Enough Income Taxes

You didn't answer the second part of my question.

How would you make that happen?

Literacy tests.

They are illegal, Jim.

Only because they were used for racial segregation and denying the vote to blacks.
If it were not for that they would be perfectly legal. And they ought to be.
How do you allow someone to vote who has no ideas of the issues, or even what the candidates stand for? The country was built on the idea of an informed electorate. This is why we had property qualifications. Take away the informed voter and you get pretty much what we have now.

From the article: We’re apparently not dismayed that more than half of all Americans have been in a 30-year recession with little or no income growth. We’re apparently willing to write off Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes, which are the big federal taxes for low- and middle-income Americans. A family of four earning $30,000 may pay no federal income tax, but it pays $4,590 in payroll taxes (including the employer’s share, which economists believe is ultimately paid by the employee in the form of lower wages). Payroll taxes are much bigger than income taxes for most families.

Among working households, 82 percent pay more payroll tax than income tax. They also pay federal excise taxes on gasoline, beer, wine, liquor, tires, and cigarettes. And state and local taxes are notoriously regressive. Feel better, governor?

It’s true that middle income people don’t pay the estate tax. Nor do most rich people. Are we dismayed about that?

Here’s another shocker for the governor: the recession surely caused many households to join the ranks of “lucky duckies.” (This is the Wall Street Journal’s term for people so poor that they don’t owe income taxes. My reaction is here.) Are we dismayed that after dad lost his job due to the recession, the family can still claim the child tax credit so long as mom keeps working?

Okay, here are some facts, courtesy of the Tax Policy Center. They may not allay Mr. Perry’s dismay, but they should assuage the concerns of anyone with a soul.

•Of the 46% of households who don’t pay income tax, nearly 2/3 pay payroll taxes.
•Of the 18% who pay neither income nor payroll taxes, more than half are elderly.
•More than 1/3 have incomes below $20,000. (Note: Ronald Reagan made the decision in 1986 to exempt people with incomes below the poverty line from federal income tax. Twenty-five years later, that still seems like a good call.)
•Only 1% of nontaxpaying households are nonelderly with incomes over $20,000. I’m dismayed about them too governor. Maybe we should close some of the loopholes that allowed almost 1,500 millionaires to escape income tax in 2009.

We’re dismayed at the injustice that nearly half of all Americans don’t even pay any income tax.

One would hope that he'd ALSO note that the reason they don't pay taxes is because they don't make enough money.

But of course, that's one of the facts that people like him would rather overlook, isn't it?

What a fucking tool this clown is.

I'm sure the denizens of this board will agree with him completely, what with him being a Republican and all.

I see. Since you know you'd agree with any Democrat you assume any Republican would agree?

More bullcrap.

The only quote in the blog from Perry is this one.
We’re dismayed at the injustice that nearly half of all Americans don’t even pay any income tax.

Newsflash...I'm in the middle...I pay taxes...Perry isn't talking about the middle. This blogger is a liar.

I am dismayed that half of all American's don't pay any income taxes while demanding others pay more and more.

Why? Because they have no skin in the game.

When half the population can vote for the other half to pay their way...THAT'S A PROBLEM.

It is one of the biggest pitfalls of the democratic system.

Everyone should contribute something, even if it is only one percent for minimum wage.

As the left is so fond of chanting, everyone should pay a fair share.

The effective federal tax rates on the 3 lowest quintiles of American households (based on income)

are 4.0% 10.6% and 14.3%.

Eric Cantor says
almost 50 percent of Americans don't pay income taxes​

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

PolitiFact Virginia | Eric Cantor says almost 50 percent of Americans don't pay income taxes

It almost sounds like a parody of the right when you hear that they want to cut taxes on the rich and raise taxes on the poor.

It sounds like something a wacky rightwing character in a political comedy would say.

And yet, it's merely the truth.

I love these idiotic statistics liberals keep bringing up. These statistics include business assets. Yes the big business owners make up a small percentage of the population yet their businesses are all across America, employing people of course. But all of this is counted as being "wealth" owned by a select few.

Whats really funny is liberals use this as some sort of reasoning for increasing taxes on the rich, as if that is going to change "ownership" of those assets. Then, when the pie chart doesn't change, they just call for more taxes, knowing full well its not going to effect ownership percentages.

This is a game libs have been playing for decades.

Where in that Article does he say anything about the Middle Class? All I see is him saying something is not right about 50% of paying NO INCOME tax.

So if you're talking about HALF of American households, you're not talking about anyone in the MIDDLE??

lol

You alway defend obama when you think someone has taken his word out of context, but yet you're doing the samething . You're a hypocrite

I’ve been blissfully off the grid for the past few days, cycling in Western New York. (Allegany State Park is absolutely gorgeous. Made me be glad to be paying taxes in New York State.) I could forget about the debt ceiling fiasco, 9 percent unemployment, the tea party, runaway health spending, global warming, the NBA lockout…

But back in the real world, I learn from newly minted GOP presidential candidate Rick Perry what’s wrong with America—that middle income Americans don’t pay enough taxes. Really.

Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don't Pay Enough Income Taxes - Forbes

I'm sure the denizens of this board will agree with him completely, what with him being a Republican and all.

Very interesting. This is obviously an OpEd piece by someone who apparently dislikes Perry (as a politician), seemingly took part of a statement perry said and applied his own "interpretation". This has all the appearances of a political smear article. Well, politics as usual. :lol:

I’ve been blissfully off the grid for the past few days, cycling in Western New York. (Allegany State Park is absolutely gorgeous. Made me be glad to be paying taxes in New York State.) I could forget about the debt ceiling fiasco, 9 percent unemployment, the tea party, runaway health spending, global warming, the NBA lockout…

But back in the real world, I learn from newly minted GOP presidential candidate Rick Perry what’s wrong with America—that middle income Americans don’t pay enough taxes. Really.

Very interesting. This is obviously an OpEd piece by someone who apparently dislikes Perry (as a politician), seemingly took part of a statement perry said and applied his own "interpretation". This has all the appearances of a political smear article. Well, politics as usual. :lol:

Really? News.Google the title and see how many people read it the same way the original author did.

And it's playing word games to say that we don't pay, when it comes directly out of our paychecks. If a family of four with both parents working are making it on under $40k, then no. Between the marriage break and the kid break, they get those funds back. But they DO pay taxes and it is bullshit that he's saying something that simply is not true. They get the monies back because that's how the government is set up. You can't fault people for that.

They're not slackers. They're not dead weight, nor are they 'being carried by the rest of' you. They have an income, they are living off that income.

Really? News.Google the title and see how many people read it the same way the original author did.

Yeah, so? Both sides have their talking points. If the Republicans are dumb enough to hit up the middle class for more taxes then I'm pretty sure they won't stay in office for long just as I'm sure the Dems who'll replace them will find an excuse not to rescind those same tax increases. Uuummmmm.

His point is that the wealth Missourian is talking about isn't necessarily taxed at all, and that if/when it is taxed it is taxed at the capital gains rate and not at the highest marginal rate.

That'll be because it is a 'capital gain' not 'income'.

Right and the point Ed made was in response to Missiourian's claim that the wealth has already been taxed and sometimes at a higher rate.

Ed proved that statement to be false.

:rolleyes: Good Grief.

Where did the money come from to buy the stock?

Did it just appear by magic, or did someone earn it as income.

When it was earned, as income, was it taxed? YES.

Have tax rates been higher than they are now? YES

How about inheritance tax (estate tax)? 35% is a higher rate, isn't it?

My statement that the wealth has already been taxed, sometimes at a higher rate stands.

Again, capital gains and estate taxes are entirely different animals. this thread is about income tax. Introduction of divergent concepts will simple muddy the waters.

Jon Stewart did the first segment of his show on this tonight. When it comes up I'll try to link it.

He played clips of conservatives claiming raising taxes on the rich was "class warfare."

Then clips where they said it wouldn't help anyway, because it'd raise "only" $700 billion.

Then clips of them complaining about poor people don't pay enough taxes.

Then showed how if you took half of everything the bottom 50% own - not just their income, the value of everything they own - it'd raise... $700 billion.

Jon Stewart?

That's part of your problem you listen to Stewart who makes a living out of satire and humor and you believe he's a credible news source.

I love these idiotic statistics liberals keep bringing up. These statistics include business assets. Yes the big business owners make up a small percentage of the population yet their businesses are all across America, employing people of course. But all of this is counted as being "wealth" owned by a select few.

Whats really funny is liberals use this as some sort of reasoning for increasing taxes on the rich, as if that is going to change "ownership" of those assets. Then, when the pie chart doesn't change, they just call for more taxes, knowing full well its not going to effect ownership percentages.

This is a game libs have been playing for decades.

I figured it was something along those lines.

That's why you need the source of the data and not just the chart.

I already addressed that in post #3.

I'm assuming you're referring to post number four (unless Full Auto is a sock puppet of yours). :D

BTW it's another opinion piece. Uuuummmmmmmmm.
(Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Perry supporter but I am always desirous to see past any possible partisan crap, no matter which side spews it. I'm also a realist and understand that politicians almost always "play to their base").

How can a candidate win elections with this ?

The right wants the wealthy protected from tax hikes.

They want services for the average joe cut.

This is out of line with the vast majority of American voters.

If they win the election in 2012 while Americas DONT AGREE with their ideas how did they win?

Its time to face the level of election cheating that is going on.

Forum List

Back