Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don't Pay Enough Income Taxes

Yes, everyone should pay their fair share.

Do you oppose that?

P.S. - still waiting on that link.

The income tax is a tax on income, not on people.

No liberal supports raising taxes on the poor. We support lowering taxes on the poor, and raising taxes on the rich.

That's interesting - because Art15 just said he supports raising taxes for everyone and he's a liberal. That makes you wrong on that statement.

And... since the 'poor' don't pay taxes, please explain how you're going to 'lower' the zero that they currently pay.

I - and many other "right wingers" - will support raising taxes - on everyone.... when Government stops spending like a lottery winning fool.

Stop demonizing people for political point scoring. It's pathetic.

Perhaps if we give the poor more tax rebates (on the taxes they don’t pay), we could call that “lowering” their taxes at the same time.

Anyway, I tend to agree, if we are going to raise taxes, let’s all get in the pool and sink or swim together.

Of course, I would also want this coupled with spending cuts and some kind of assurance that the new taxes will go towards fixing our problems and not just pissed away on new spending.

Middle class Americans DON'T pay enough taxes, at least relative to what they want.

The entitlement programs in the US - SS and Medicare - are primarily middle class programs. Both are underfunded. That means we aren't paying enough for those programs.

So either we should cut those programs or raise taxes to fund them. Americans are living in La-La Land right now, thinking they can have these things and have others (or no one) pay for them.

Middle class Americans DON'T pay enough taxes, at least relative to what they want.

The entitlement programs in the US - SS and Medicare - are primarily middle class programs. Both are underfunded. That means we aren't paying enough for those programs.

So either we should cut those programs or raise taxes to fund them. Americans are living in La-La Land right now, thinking they can have these things and have others (or no one) pay for them.

And the wealthy (Both corporations and individuals) don't pay nearly enough for the plethora of services provided by the government that helps them accrue wealth.

That and they extract far to much liquidity from the economy.

He doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting the nomination if he's going to keep spouting this shit.

It’s the GWB do-over: idiocy in action – the right can’t help but love him.

no actually obama is the geroge bush do over.

I thought Obama was the Jimmy Carter do-over, only less competent.

The article of course doesnt say that. But we are seeing the beginnigns of Perry Derangement Syndrome.
I only hope science will find a cure for this wasting disease of the brain before it's too late.

Yes, they are.

The level of stupid in which the national debate has reached is freakin' shameful.

Yes, they are.

The level of stupid in which the national debate has reached is freakin' shameful.

It's because illiterates have voting rights.

Yes, they are.

The likelihood that illiterates aren't participating in the national debate aside, are you in favor of taking away voting rights from illiterates? If so how would you make that happen?

Yes, they are.

The likelihood that illiterates aren't participating in the national debate aside, are you in favor of taking away voting rights from illiterates? If so how would you make that happen?

Yes.
Anyone who could write this doesn't deserve to vote.

Yes.

You didn't answer the second part of my question.

How would you make that happen?

SS and Medicare are underfunded because the government uses that money to pay for other shit. Stop paying for the other shit. Problem solved.

SS and Medicare are underfunded because the government uses that money to pay for other shit. Stop paying for the other shit. Problem solved.

Life expectancy and the number of years that people collect benefits has gone up. Tweaking the retirement age would go a long way in keeping both programs solvent.

Yes, they are.

Illiterates are not the problem. I know several people who didn't learn to read and write but they are not stupid. It is the stupid that are the problem.

Yes.

You didn't answer the second part of my question.

How would you make that happen?

Literacy tests.

Life expectancy and the number of years that people collect benefits has gone up. Tweaking the retirement age would go a long way in keeping both programs solvent.

I don't disagree. Raise the retirement age, and stop spending the money that people are paying in on stuff that should not be being funded from their money. That money is not the government's, it is theirs. They paid in to a system under a government guarantee that they would be provided for. It is perfectly reasonable for those people to expect the government to keep their side of the bargain.

Why should people making $250,000 pay more while 50% of Americans pay nothing?

I answered that a while back. They shouldn't. Taxes need to be raised on everyone.

I agree.

But we must also address spending.

Real cuts, not smoke and mirrors.

Entitlement, solvency of Social Security and Medicare, defense...the whole enchilada.

Couldn't agree more.

We need real cuts in spending and everything should be on the table.

The 50% who pay no income taxes need to pay up. Sure they pay payroll and the other taxes but then so does everyone else. I'm not rich by any means and I pay Fed taxes. Everyone should. If you have skin in the game you pay attention.

If they are gonna raise taxes then they need to raise em on everyone not just those "who can afford" it.

They also need to stop giving taxpayer money back to those who do not pay in. What a bunch of bs that is.

Forum List

Back