Richard Nixon was one of the better presidents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ended the war in Nam - the Moon-landing President (respected/carried JFKs agenda) , started detente with the Soviet Union and Red China - won 49 out of50 states for re-election

winning 49 out of 50 states isn't what made him a good president.

he actually would probably have been considered one of our greatest ever had he not been paranoid and dishonest.

but he did

create the EPA

open China

ended the war (ok, so that was a bit delayed)

he was our most liberal president in my lifetime and he wouldn't even get through the primaries now because he's be considered a RINO by the loons.

Many of Nixon's policies in Indochina led to the deaths of millions.

ginspy must be bored tonight..

He is trolling on multiple threads

Nixon was involved in doing many good things. However, being unable to ditch his paranoa, he destroyed himself, and his Presidency with completely illegal actions.

And, on the space issue, the dumb bastard threw away the last three planned Apollo mission, and had the designs for the Saturn rocket interred in a land fill.

Ended the war in Nam - the Moon-landing President (respected/carried JFKs agenda) , started detente with the Soviet Union and Red China - won 49 out of50 states for re-election

he actually would probably have been considered one of our greatest ever had he not been paranoid and dishonest.

but he did

create the EPA

open China
....And, how can we possibly forget....

....The DEA?!!

:rolleyes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laeOE8B9oUM&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coEPrJuVyWI&NR=1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCtr-E0X3LM&NR=1[/ame]
The Report of the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse

Commissioned by President Richard M. Nixon, March, 1972

Last edited:

the last truly liberal POTUS.

Passed the clearn air and water act.

Imposed wage and price freezes.

He was a mixed bag, just like every other POTUS.

Nixon was a paranoid psychopath with illusions of grandeur.

But because of his overtures to China.

Historians in the future will be much kinder to his legacy than he deserves.

but he did

create the EPA

open China

he was our most liberal president in my lifetime and he wouldn't even get through the primaries now because he's be considered a RINO by the loons.
This.

And yes, I would be considered one of the "loons". :lol:

but he did

create the EPA

open China

Nixon was a pretty capable president. He understood politics, how to get things done and the global political situation

He fell apart because of his personal demons and ever increasing paranoia

Nixon was a pretty capable president. He understood politics, how to get things done and the global political situation

Just switch the names and you will find that there is basically No difference between the two leaders.

"Hitler was a pretty capable president. He understood politics, how to get things done and the global political situation".

"He fell apart because of his personal demons and ever increasing paranoia".

Last edited:
Nixon offered Ted Kennedy a better universal healthcare program than the one Congress delivered last year. Ted refused hoping to get a better deal.

Nixon was a very smart talented man, I like him. But like Carter the results were a mixed bag.

Eisenhower was a great president. Kennedy was a great president. That's my whole list.

but he did

create the EPA

open China

absolutely. and like many historical figures was a very complicated person with flaws as great as his brililance.

Nixon offered Ted Kennedy a better universal healthcare program than the one Congress delivered last year. Ted refused hoping to get a better deal.

Nixon was a very smart talented man, I like him. But like Carter the results were a mixed bag.

Eisenhower was a great president. Kennedy was a great president. That's my whole list.

eisenhower? great? i don't know. he didn't really face challenges as president that would have tested that hypothesis.

and kennedy would not be looked upon as 'great' if he hadn't been martyred, imo.

but he did

create the EPA

open China

If Nixon hadn't been so paranoid, or if he'd just come clean on Watergate and his role, he'd probably be measured up for space on Mount Rushmore for ending Vietnam alone, not to mention the rest of the list.

As it was, he's ranked near the bottom for abusing the office, and he should be.

Nixon had nothing to do with the culmination of the Apollo program. Those plans were on the table for years. He happened to be President in 1969.

I'm thinking I should keep this quote around for later in case the Bay of Pigs, 9/11, the Stimulus, the Bailouts, or a whole host of other topics come up in conversation.

All Detente did was enable the Soviet Union to forestall its inevitable collapse.

Without Detente its probably we'd all be atomic particles wafting in the breeze. The greatest period of danger in the Cold War was winding down the end. Detente helped ensure that Reagan had a willing partner in the end instead a suicidal loon looking to take the world with him.

eisenhower? great? i don't know. he didn't really face challenges as president that would have tested that hypothesis.

and kennedy would not be looked upon as 'great' if he hadn't been martyred, imo.

Eisenhower was quite Machievellian, and his administration helped set the course of the Cold War in a very real way. Take that as a good or bad point.

Kennedy likely wouldn't have been re-elected, much less ended up the martyr figure he is now. His own Chief of Staffs were ready to toss him out on the street over the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Bay of Pigs.

Don't forget our first oil crisis in 73, after we sided with Israel in the Yom Kippur war. The price of gasoline immediately increased to 70+ cents a gallon--if you could even find it. This was the first time ever that the country was encouraged to conserve energy--a completely new concept. Nixon also ordered year-round daylight savings time, but that only lasted for about a year because people objected to their children walking to school before daybreak.

And he wouldn't be allowed to be a republican today, he'd be too liberal.....

Nixon accomplishments:

Supplemental Insurance Income (SSI)
Index social security to inflation (COLAS)
Took US off gold standard
Reimposed a 10% investment tax credit
Removed excise taxes on autos
Removed the Post Office from being a cabinet level governement agency
Established the Consumer Product Safety Commission
Opened the door to China
Wage and Price controls
Appointed Berger, Blackmun, Powell, and Rehnquist to various positions on the Supreme Court (I thought Rehnquist was bad until I discovered Roberts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back