Revised Same-sex Marriage/Religion Poll

Do you support state recognized same-sex marriage or not, and are you religious?

• I am against state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm religious.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I am against state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm not religious.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I support state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm religious.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I support state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm not religious.

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't care about the purpose of the poll. I do care about narrow stereotyping tho so I spoke up. And FWIW, attempting to use lexical definitions is a weak debate tactic. Whenever I see anyone whipping out a definition of a word to prove a point it shows the inherent weakness of whatever other "logic" they are trying to support.

I brought the definitions up to help you to understand MY meaning without it being argued about what exactly did I mean..., that's not what it means..., blah blah pointless blah.

Why did you vote on the poll, Amanda? If you don't care, then don't vote. This is my poll, if you want to vote on it then have to vote by my rules.

Are you against same-sex marriage because of the what the Bible says? Then vote, against it and I am religious. Clear now? If not, then vote: against it and I'm not religious.

Sheesh! Who ever heard of it being so difficult for people to check the right box?

I voted because I wanted to. When you become a mod here you can have some say over what I do, until then... not so much. :lol:

I'm for civil unions because that is equality, it has nothing to do with the Bible. My spiritual beliefs have NOTHING to do with my conclusion. THAT is why your poll is flawed. You're pre-supposing something that isn't necessarily true and hoping your poll will prove it.

If you want people to check the "right" box give them a box to check that is accurate.

Well, I'm sorry, but you don't understand the purpose of this poll. I'm keeping it simple: there are four choices above. See them?

So, here religious defined: From the Merriam-Webster:

Here is the definition of spiritual:

So you can be both religious and spiritual. But for the purposes of this poll, I am attempting to determine from a sample of USMB posters if the same-sex marriage is mostly a religious issue or a traditional issue.

If you go to Church or temple or the Synagogue or mosque or any other official religious place, read the Bible or someother religious text, pray to Jesus and His Father in Heaven or Mohammed or Yaweh or godhead who has particular religious ways in which you are supposed to behave, you are religious because you practice an official religion. You may also be spiritual.

If you don't go to Church or temple or whatever, don't read the Bible or Quran or whatever, don't pray to Jesus or God or whomever, but believe in a nameless higher power or no higher power at all, yet don't follow an organized religion, don't read an official religious text and in no way are associatred with a "RELIGION" then you are not religious. Get it?

Its just to get an accurate cross section of USMB posters. Don't say you're not religious if you practice a religion. That's skews the results of this poll.

I don't care about the purpose of the poll. I do care about narrow stereotyping tho so I spoke up. And FWIW, attempting to use lexical definitions is a weak debate tactic. Whenever I see anyone whipping out a definition of a word to prove a point it shows the inherent weakness of whatever other "logic" they are trying to support.

I think you're actually wrong in this Amanda.. He posted a specific poll with very specific questions.. If you choose not to attach to yourself one of the choices in the poll, you don't need to answer it. But to argue it because he asked you to choose either religious, or not religious is just silly.

I got involved because I believe the premise is flawed.

What's laughable about all of this is that according to his (or the dictionary's) definition I answered perfectly correctly. I'll be the first to admit to being silly, but what do you call it when someone berates you for not doing it right when you did exactly what they said you should? :lol:

Are you against same-sex marriage because of the what the Bible says? Then vote, against it and I am religious. Clear now? If not, then vote: against it and I'm not religious.

I voted because I wanted to. When you become a mod here you can have some say over what I do, until then... not so much. :lol:

I'm for civil unions because that is equality, it has nothing to do with the Bible. My spiritual beliefs have NOTHING to do with my conclusion. THAT is why your poll is flawed. You're pre-supposing something that isn't necessarily true and hoping your poll will prove it.

If you want people to check the "right" box give them a box to check that is accurate.
[/QUOTE]

No, then you did check the right box. Unless you're deluding yourself because you don't think you're against homosexuality because of what the Bible says but its the Bible or Christianity which has influenced your perspective in that regard...

God told us all, as well as did Yeshua, to love one another.

Gender was NOT specified.

Personally? I think that there should be 2 boxes on the certificate, once saying civil union, and one saying marriage.

Marriage can only be checked if it is signed by an ordained minister.

And.....there are SEVERAL churches around today that are gay friendly, and therefor willing to marry gays.

But......speaking as someone who tried it once for 7 years......marriage is an institution and a commitment, and anyone that does it should be committed to an institution.

If there weren't, then why is it legal in only 3 states?
Tradition?

Tradition that has been around long enough to become law.

Remember...........this country was founded by uptight religious fanatics that got kicked out of England.

And no, I don't really consider the Puritans "Christians". They are a fanatical sect, just like FLDS and Warren Jeffs are "Mormon".

No idea.. Ours don't really raise much of a stink, and pretty much stick to themselves so they're left pretty well alone...
If so, it's odd that a law had to be passed against them.

Ok, then let's just say they don't go out of their way to make the news. :)

Which is as it should be. All this "I'm a victim" crap is dragging our culture down. We used to be a stronger, more self-sufficient people, but now whenever anyone feels the slightest bit slighted they run to a court to get the nanny state to come save them.

For God's sake people, do you really feel better having the gov't wipe your butt for you?

Well, I'm sorry, but you don't understand the purpose of this poll. I'm keeping it simple: there are four choices above. See them?

So, here religious defined: From the Merriam-Webster:

Here is the definition of spiritual:

So you can be both religious and spiritual. But for the purposes of this poll, I am attempting to determine from a sample of USMB posters if the same-sex marriage is mostly a religious issue or a traditional issue.

If you go to Church or temple or the Synagogue or mosque or any other official religious place, read the Bible or someother religious text, pray to Jesus and His Father in Heaven or Mohammed or Yaweh or godhead who has particular religious ways in which you are supposed to behave, you are religious because you practice an official religion. You may also be spiritual.

If you don't go to Church or temple or whatever, don't read the Bible or Quran or whatever, don't pray to Jesus or God or whomever, but believe in a nameless higher power or no higher power at all, yet don't follow an organized religion, don't read an official religious text and in no way are associatred with a "RELIGION" then you are not religious. Get it?

Its just to get an accurate cross section of USMB posters. Don't say you're not religious if you practice a religion. That's skews the results of this poll.

I think you're actually wrong in this Amanda.. He posted a specific poll with very specific questions.. If you choose not to attach to yourself one of the choices in the poll, you don't need to answer it. But to argue it because he asked you to choose either religious, or not religious is just silly.

his choices are derisive and designed to isolate for religion vs gay marriage....

oh and i couldn't vote....because the..."i don't care" choice was missing....

Last edited:
No idea.. Ours don't really raise much of a stink, and pretty much stick to themselves so they're left pretty well alone...
If so, it's odd that a law had to be passed against them.

Ok, then let's just say they don't go out of their way to make the news. :)
Yeah, hard to imagine you cheese heads have Mardi Gras parades.

This is kind of unreal though, here are a group of gays that are being legislated against even though they didn't try to force the issue..."good gays" so to speak.

I have a problem with passing laws against people on general principles.

his choices are derisive and designed to isolate for religion vs gay marriage....

Do you understand the purpose of a poll? It is SUPPOSED to isolate for a particular finding. The purpose of this poll was to determine if those who were against same-sex marriage were religious or if those who are against same-sex marriage were against it for reasons of tradition and not religion.

If you don't care, then you shouldn't vote because that would skew the results. But for those who find that there is a choice with which they identify, then voting is appropriate.

Jeezus! Get over yourself, you poor little victimized conservatives who complain about how whiney liberals are!

Do you understand the purpose of a poll? It is SUPPOSED to isolate for a particular finding. The purpose of this poll was to determine if those who were against same-sex marriage were religious or if those who are against same-sex marriage were against it for reasons of tradition and not religion.

If you don't care, then you shouldn't vote because that would skew the results. But for those who find that there is a choice with which they identify, then voting is appropriate.

Jeezus! Get over yourself, you poor little victimized conservatives who complain about how whiney liberals are!

Actually... Manu's not one for whining... He's merely opinionated. :)

I can't answer that poll because it does not fit my beliefs at all.

I do not believe that the state has any business being in the marriage business. Marriage is a Rite of the church. The state should set up contracts between people establishing a relationship and certain legal rights. If the state (by a legal means) chose to allow those people to be of the same sex then so be it, but regardless, the state should stay out of the marriage business. If the state made such a decision, I would have to live by it as I have chosen to live by the state's decisions on abortion. I don't have to like the decision, but as long as I CHOSE to remain a citizen of this fine nation then I must and will live by the rules established by our society. I can work to change those rules if I desire by a legal means or I can simply chose to live by the rules.

Immie

I can't answer that poll because it does not fit my beliefs at all.

I do not believe that the state has any business being in the marriage business. Marriage is a Rite of the church. The state should set up contracts between people establishing a relationship and certain legal rights. If the state (by a legal means) chose to allow those people to be of the same sex then so be it, but regardless, the state should stay out of the marriage business. If the state made such a decision, I would have to live by it as I have chosen to live by the state's decisions on abortion. I don't have to like the decision, but as long as I CHOSE to remain a citizen of this fine nation then I must and will live by the rules established by our society. I can work to change those rules if I desire by a legal means or I can simply chose to live by the rules.

Immie

So, would you say that you are not just against state-sanctioned same-sex marriages, but any state-sanctioned marriages because you believe marriage is a religious rite?

If so, then in a way, you could vote: I am against state-sanctioned same-sex marriage (because I am against all state-sanctioned marrages), and I'm religious. Does that work for you alright?

Forum List

Back