Will the Rich be Lost in Hell ?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Quatermass, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ..or be at home in Hell ?

It is very easy to avoid an uncomfortable truth. However, for those unafraid to ask difficult questions of themselves, read on.

Who is rich? If one defines being ‘rich’ as having an unequal balance of wealth and also that in God’s all seeing eyes comparisons work not only on a local, and national level but also on an international footing, then the parameters of judgement are wide indeed for inhabitants of the 1st World.

Those who are held up as the greatest of figures under the auspices of the Capitalist system. Those captains of industries, the millionaire presidents and financiers; iconic media moguls and the brightest stars of entertainment royalty, are according to the Christian doctrine, esteemed least in the eyes of God:

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."
    Matthew 19:24

"A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight."
    Proverbs 11:1

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Evangelical

Evangelical Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The experience was not to teach you to be poor, but rather to teach you for whatever sins you are guilty of, stay with Christ. Had the rich man said "I cannot let go my fortunes, but I will follow you" he probably would have been saved because seeing Jesus crucified and resurrected he would have died for Christ, by taking up his cross.

But, also, it is difficult to sanctify yourself if you are addicted to other things, sex, or wealth, etc. Sanctification is important, you should work to do so, we have one purpose, to glorify God, to love Him...but we cannot possibly be perfect, which is why we have saving grace.

And even the rich prince would be blessed with saving grace if only he followed Jesus.

Instead he turned away sad at His teachings.

3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I think what Evangelical is trying to say here is that being rich is not a sin. It's hard for a rich man to get into Heaven, not because it's inherently wrong and sinful to be rich, but because material wealth and possessions can easily become an idol, something we worship in place of God.

Insofar as one views wealth merely as a means to an end, a way to accomplish goals and help people and do God's work (and yes, providing for your family is God's work as well), then there's no problem.

4. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Are you for real? You goofy christians never cease to amaze. The only "hell" is sharing air with you stupid fucks.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Being wealthy isn't a crime.

Being smug about it, however, should be.

6. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Feel free to sever your air supply at any time.

7. Evangelical

Evangelical Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you could call wealth a sin, but no more than the material world is sinful, marriage is a sin if marriage causes you to devote yourself more to your spouse than to God, Paul warned of this.

In that time, Jews believed the wealthy were wealthy because they were righteous, and God blessed them. Jesus said, in short, "no, you are righteous because you believe in me. All I ask of you, as an individual, is give up your wealth. If I gave it to you because of your righteousness, then you can give it up for me and be righteous."

Does this mean he had to give up his wealth to go to Heaven? I don't see the evidence of that, all there seems to be evidence of is a rebuking of the Pharisees' teaching that wealth is proof that God loves you.

Because the wealthy Pharisees were corrupt and God did not know them, and Jesus was making that point along with many others.

The most important point being that if you leave Christ, turn from Christ, you will not be saved. So regardless of your problems, at least turn to Him and have faith in Him.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    There is no Hell except Earth while Satan is running it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,073
    Satan, or one's ex-wife.

10. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Evangelical.

I consider the ethic of Christ's instruction here is in fact a diametrical contradiction of all that is held sacrosanct in today's modern Capitalist ideology.

It is quite necessary that such scripture and sentiments attributable directly to Jesus of Nazareth be omitted, or explained away in contemporary sermon, for they are so incongruous and upsetting to the status quo of religious establishment to represent a direct threat. Hence my warning in the subtext.

You say:
    Yet clearly in the passage I print in full bellow, Christ instructs the rich man to in fact become as the poor by distributing his worldly possessions in order to completer his journey towards the Kingdom of God.

And in becoming poor and humble the blessings of the Christian God are forthcoming. A world full of only poor and humble people being a classless world without material iniquities and therefore a land of plenty.

You also say:
    Do you not know Evangelical, that in several passages Christ reiterates that Man is to 'follow him' and 'become perfect' ? And that Grace only 'saves' if it is acted upon ?

For Grace is like the lighthouse which can save ships at night only if the captain duly takes note and steers accordingly.

Matthew 5:

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
    21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
    22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
    23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.