Rev. Wright Praises Magazine’s ‘No Nonsense Marxism’

Where do you keep coming up with this white guilt bluster? I simply forwarded a premise that in this country, every man should have the opportunity to defend himself and speak on his OWN behalf...I don't care if he's white, black, pink or purple. I guess you have a problem with that. You prefer instead to be spoon feed what you believe. You choose to willfully accept without question what people with ulterior motives want you to hear and see...I'm sure those people are thrilled, they count on people like you to be inert...

You ARE...
You keep bringing up being "Liberal" as having the ability to be open-minded. What does being open-minded have to do with not liking someone else's hate speech? You continue to fail to recognize Rev Wright's very real, hateful views. President Obama had to personally condemn those hateful views, in a politically motivated move of course. This is where your white guilt comes in to play. You will point out every hateful, racist white person on the planet. But when a very obvious, hateful black racist like Rev Wright distributes his hateful views, you defend him. It's white guilt elitists like you who slow the progress of race-relations in this country!

We've moved beyond liberal or open minded...you are a person that is not even willing to LISTEN to what a man has to say in his own defense...you have no interest in what is true and what is propaganda...good luck with THAT approach to life, just don't try to tell me you are a liberal in any way, shape or form...
What your white guilt riddled brain cant understand is that I HAVE listened to this man. And it's what I've heard that I have a problem with. What can't you understand about that? It's hate speech. I listened to the man, and his explanations. It's obvious, blatant, HATE SPEECH!

Now go back to listening to that Will Smith CD, so you can "relate" to black people.

You keep bringing up being "Liberal" as having the ability to be open-minded. What does being open-minded have to do with not liking someone else's hate speech? You continue to fail to recognize Rev Wright's very real, hateful views. President Obama had to personally condemn those hateful views, in a politically motivated move of course. This is where your white guilt comes in to play. You will point out every hateful, racist white person on the planet. But when a very obvious, hateful black racist like Rev Wright distributes his hateful views, you defend him. It's white guilt elitists like you who slow the progress of race-relations in this country!

We've moved beyond liberal or open minded...you are a person that is not even willing to LISTEN to what a man has to say in his own defense...you have no interest in what is true and what is propaganda...good luck with THAT approach to life, just don't try to tell me you are a liberal in any way, shape or form...
What your white guilt riddled brain cant understand is that I HAVE listened to this man. And it's what I've heard that I have a problem with. What can't you understand about that? It's hate speech. I listened to the man, and his explanations. It's obvious, blatant, HATE SPEECH!

Now go back to listening to that Will Smith CD, so you can "relate" to black people.

OK, give me a brief synopsis of what Wright said in his interview with Bill Moyers...

OK, give me a brief synopsis of what Wright said in his interview with Bill Moyers...
Bill Moyers? I'm talking about a man beliefs, and you bring up his Bill Moyers interview? The Bill Moyers interview that Rev. Wright used much like any public figured does, to backtrack controversy and attempt to out run the criticism they are justly receiving. You have taken your white guilt defense of Rev. Wright verbatim from Bill Moyers. At least be original in your white guilt!

Read the transcripts from Rev. Wright's speeches. NOT the youtube clips. But the entire transcripts of what he said. The undertow of his speeches are that of a race-baiter, a lot like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton are. He tells us how bad white people are, especially in government. He continues with anti-Semitic remarks, which he was forced to later apologize for by the The Anti Defamation League. His remarks were also condemned by President Obama on numerous occasions. NOT just once! Rev Wright also preached in a "This country got what it deserved" manner right after the September 11th attacks.

Later, Rev Wright's history of passing out white hate banter among his parishioners became known through past members. Rev. Wright has been known as a radical, race-baiter for years. He is a carbon copy of Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, and every other race-baiter, of whom I'm sure you also defend.

Go back and read everything that Rev. Wright has said. Put your white guilt aside, and really research Rev. Wright. Truly try and understand Rev. Wright's motivation. Stop being just another scared white person, and grow some balls. Being open minded is one thing. But allowing hatred to be preached, because you are afraid to call someone on it is another thing!

Bill Moyers? I'm talking about a man beliefs, and you bring up his Bill Moyers interview? The Bill Moyers interview that Rev. Wright used much like any public figured does, to backtrack controversy and attempt to out run the criticism they are justly receiving. You have taken your white guilt defense of Rev. Wright verbatim from Bill Moyers. At least be original in your white guilt!

Read the transcripts from Rev. Wright's speeches. NOT the youtube clips. But the entire transcripts of what he said. The undertow of his speeches are that of a race-baiter, a lot like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton are. He tells us how bad white people are, especially in government. He continues with anti-Semitic remarks, which he was forced to later apologize for by the The Anti Defamation League. His remarks were also condemned by President Obama on numerous occasions. NOT just once! Rev Wright also preached in a "This country got what it deserved" manner right after the September 11th attacks.

Later, Rev Wright's history of passing out white hate banter among his parishioners became known through past members. Rev. Wright has been known as a radical, race-baiter for years. He is a carbon copy of Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, and every other race-baiter, of whom I'm sure you also defend.

Go back and read everything that Rev. Wright has said. Put your white guilt aside, and really research Rev. Wright. Truly try and understand Rev. Wright's motivation. Stop being just another scared white person, and grow some balls. Being open minded is one thing. But allowing hatred to be preached, because you are afraid to call someone on it is another thing!

WOW, it seems you haven't heard a word I've said. I asked you to take a few moments and listen to Reverend Wright speak on his own behalf. That event occurs IN an interview. The person doing the interview is Bill Moyers...it is not Bill Moyers talking ABOUT Jeremiah Wright or Bill Moyers defending Jeremiah Wright, it is Bill Moyers asking Jeremiah Wright questions that needed to be asked.

Bill Moyers Journal - Interview with Jeremiah Wright

PH2008042502674.jpg

Sen. Barack Obama's former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, told PBS host Bill Moyers that inflammatory statements from his sermons were taken out of context, but he said he didn't begrudge the Democratic candidate for denouncing them.

In 1961, a young African-American man, after hearing President John F. Kennedy’s challenge to, “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country,” gave up his student deferment, left college in Virginia and voluntarily joined the Marines.

In 1963, this man, having completed his two years of service in the Marines, volunteered again to become a Navy corpsman. (They provide medical assistance to the Marines as well as to Navy personnel.)

The man did so well in corpsman school that he was the valedictorian and became a cardiopulmonary technician. Not surprisingly, he was assigned to the Navy’s premier medical facility, Bethesda Naval Hospital, as a member of the commander in chief’s medical team, and helped care for President Lyndon B. Johnson after his 1966 surgery. For his service on the team, which he left in 1967, the White House awarded him three letters of commendation.

What is even more remarkable is that this man entered the Marines and Navy not many years after the two branches began to become integrated.

While this young man was serving six years on active duty, Vice President Dick Cheney, who was born the same year as the Marine/sailor, received five deferments, four for being an undergraduate and graduate student and one for being a prospective father. Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, both five years younger than the African-American youth, used their student deferments to stay in college until 1968. Both then avoided going on active duty through family connections.

Who is the real patriot? The young man who interrupted his studies to serve his country for six years or our three political leaders who beat the system? Are the patriots the people who actually sacrifice something or those who merely talk about their love of the country?

After leaving the service of his country, the young African-American finished his final year of college, entered the seminary, was ordained as a minister, and eventually became pastor of a large church in one of America’s biggest cities.

This man is Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the retiring pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, who has been in the news for comments he made over the last three decades.

Since these comments became public we have heard criticisms, condemnations, denouncements and rejections of his comments and him.

We’ve seen on television, in a seemingly endless loop, sound bites of a select few of Rev. Wright’s many sermons.

Some of the Wright’s comments are inexcusable and inappropriate and should be condemned, but in calling him “unpatriotic,” let us not forget that this is a man who gave up six of the most productive years of his life to serve his country.

How many of Wright’s detractors, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly to name but a few, volunteered for service, and did so under the often tumultuous circumstances of a newly integrated armed forces and a society in the midst of a civil rights struggle? Not many.

While words do count, so do actions.

Let us not forget that, for whatever Rev. Wright may have said over the last 30 years, he has demonstrated his patriotism.

Factor military duty into criticism - Chicago Tribune

In 1961, a young African-American man, after hearing President John F. Kennedy’s challenge to, “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country,” gave up his student deferment, left college in Virginia and voluntarily joined the Marines.

In 1963, this man, having completed his two years of service in the Marines, volunteered again to become a Navy corpsman. (They provide medical assistance to the Marines as well as to Navy personnel.)

The man did so well in corpsman school that he was the valedictorian and became a cardiopulmonary technician. Not surprisingly, he was assigned to the Navy’s premier medical facility, Bethesda Naval Hospital, as a member of the commander in chief’s medical team, and helped care for President Lyndon B. Johnson after his 1966 surgery. For his service on the team, which he left in 1967, the White House awarded him three letters of commendation.

What is even more remarkable is that this man entered the Marines and Navy not many years after the two branches began to become integrated.

While this young man was serving six years on active duty, Vice President Dick Cheney, who was born the same year as the Marine/sailor, received five deferments, four for being an undergraduate and graduate student and one for being a prospective father. Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, both five years younger than the African-American youth, used their student deferments to stay in college until 1968. Both then avoided going on active duty through family connections.

Who is the real patriot? The young man who interrupted his studies to serve his country for six years or our three political leaders who beat the system? Are the patriots the people who actually sacrifice something or those who merely talk about their love of the country?

After leaving the service of his country, the young African-American finished his final year of college, entered the seminary, was ordained as a minister, and eventually became pastor of a large church in one of America’s biggest cities.

This man is Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the retiring pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, who has been in the news for comments he made over the last three decades.

Since these comments became public we have heard criticisms, condemnations, denouncements and rejections of his comments and him.

We’ve seen on television, in a seemingly endless loop, sound bites of a select few of Rev. Wright’s many sermons.

Some of the Wright’s comments are inexcusable and inappropriate and should be condemned, but in calling him “unpatriotic,” let us not forget that this is a man who gave up six of the most productive years of his life to serve his country.

How many of Wright’s detractors, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly to name but a few, volunteered for service, and did so under the often tumultuous circumstances of a newly integrated armed forces and a society in the midst of a civil rights struggle? Not many.

While words do count, so do actions.

Let us not forget that, for whatever Rev. Wright may have said over the last 30 years, he has demonstrated his patriotism.

Factor military duty into criticism - Chicago Tribune
From now on just write the words "white guilt" in everyone of your posts. It will save us all a bunch of time!

Nice try Navy, I will admit your McCarthyism is very slick and soft spoken, but I am someone that recognizes innuendos and slander any way you choose to present it...

HERE is where the rubber meets the road...and fear-mongering based on stereotyping and fear of people labeled as "others" takes over...your blanket premise is unadulterated bias...

Hey Navy, why don't you watch this, and then come back and we can have a civil discussion...

Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS

McCarthyism is the politically motivated practice of making accusations of disloyalty, subversion, or treason without proper regard for evidence. Interesting that you would accuse my post or me of being anywhere near that, no matter. If you choose to read between the lines and see my post which by the way did not accuse President Obama of any of the above things then that of course is your privledge. What I did say however, is that person, including President Obama that SOME of his political make-up is made formulated by those he associates with including the Rev. Wright. Further, I even said the following, "is just as foolish as to say President Obama is a raging radical". If you happen to disagree that people do not formulate their opinions based on the people they meet then of course again your entitled to that opinion. The difference here is that I can recognize that people can and do formulate their opnions that way and can do so without any bias. If you think that my disagreement with President Obama , on policy matters which admittedly I have many is a reason to call me biased then that same logic then can apply to anyone who happens to agree with any President or any elected official for any reason.

As for the Rev. Wright, while I did take the time to listen to the interview by Bill Moyers and frankly do not find anything that the Rev. Wright said surprising and came away from it with the feeling that the man is very proud of his heritage and as such passed that along through his church. However, the Rev. Wright remains a controversial figure based on his own statements and the theology he supports, especially when Mr. Moyers, asked the Rev. about it.

BILL MOYERS: Lots of controversy about black liberation theology. As I understand it, black liberation theology reads the bible through the experience of people who have suffered, and who then are able to say to themselves that we read the bible differently, because we have struggled, than those do who have not struggled. Is that a fair bumper sticker of liberation theology?

REVEREND WRIGHT: I think that's a fair bumper sticker. I think that the terms "liberation theology" or "black liberation theology" cause more problems and red flags for people who don't understand it.

. If you think that my post represents a bias because I expressed a view that is supportive in fact to the President, but also recognizes that the President like every other person gains their views through life experiences and those they associate with. I fail to see where any of that qualifies as disloyal, treason, or subversion without evidence.

Navy, I use term McCarthyism more to describe a method...it is used to create FEAR and control people's actions and VOTES. The first step is to create a monster to be very, very fearful OF using words and images to create that monster; like communist, Marxist, hate preacher, a raging radical. Once the first premise is accepted, the guilt by association innuendo is the easy part.

Although you don't accuse President Obama of being a monster a raging radical like them, you paint people he has associated with AS BEING monsters...a raging radical, without any proof other than those words we're supposed be very very fearful of...

If you did listen to the interview with Jeremiah Wright, your monster evaporates...he is not a man anyone should ever fear...and, if you understand that some preachers use rhetorical flourishes to make a point you will recognize what is simply theatrics. BUT, if you really pay attention to WHAT brings out rage in Jeremiah Wright, it's destroying God's creations...he preaches that killing other human beings will never be blessed of excused by God. And, it is the SAME thing that creates rage in me...always has and always will...shouldn't it create rage in you Navy, and all humans beings created in His image that call themselves Christian, ethical or moral?

Bf, let me give you a little insight on how I guage a person. I had the high priviledge of serving with brave men and women for over 26 years in the US Navy. In that time I met many people of all different beliefs and ethnic backgrounds and I saw all of them the same way and that was as a dedicated "PERSON" doing a hard job for their country. As such they had my respect, my admiration, and my friendship, regardless of who and what they were, and what they believed in. I came to realize that common courtesy and respect for the dignity of others even though you may not agree with them was at the core of any good relationship between people. However as part of that respect I also realized that people based on their life experiences could look at a situation and disagree and at times disagree a lot, but what seperates the people is when they do disagree is judging one another for that disagreement. I think it takes more effort for a person to be respectful of another person(s) views and little to actuallly find fault in it. I further believe that anyone who runs to the race as a reason to seperate people does so because they lack that common courtesy that I spoke of earlier and would surpress all other views but their own. As for the Rev. Wright, I can tell you that I find some of his comments to be quite disrespectful to both the nation as a whole and the Americans in general regardless of ethnic or religious background. Having said that and like President Obama, the Rev. Wright is a product of his life experiences and as such help create a church that he felt would uplift the black community as a whole and that can be seen in all of the things that Trinity does for it's community. Now, while I think that what Trinity Church does for it's members is a positive thing for the community it represents and that can be seen by the sheer number of members it has, my assesment of the Rev. Wright is based on the Rev. Wrights words and what is seemingly a lack of that common courtsey for the views of others of ethnic backgrounds and orientations. If you choose to call this a bias or place a label on it then that is your privlidge. Hopefully though you can begin to see that people can disagree even on something like this, without being called biased. Let me give you an example of something I find quite striking. In his book President Obama mentioned that he followed the teachings of Martin Luther King , thats paraphrasing. Dr. King who I greatly admire by the way, dreamed of an all inclusive society where a person was judged on their the content of their character and not on the color of their skin. Given that the Rev. Wright from his serom(s) while trying to uplift the black community which I admire as well, appears to teach the opposite of Dr. King. which I do not agree with. What I had said when it comes to the President. is that generally people are the sum of all their experiences and having been subjected to what I term to be a "seperatist" doctrine the President at the very least was introduced to it and as such it became part of his life experience as was his readings about Dr. King. I am a big believer that when our society STOPS judging people by the color of their skin no matter what the agenda then we will see one another for what we really are and thats human beings. While I do understand how someone can admire Rev. Wright for the deeds of the church because thats easy to admire, I for one do not agree on the Rev(s). divisive comments which seem to show a desire to keep people seperate based on the color of their skin.

WOW, it seems you haven't heard a word I've said. I asked you to take a few moments and listen to Reverend Wright speak on his own behalf. That event occurs IN an interview. The person doing the interview is Bill Moyers...it is not Bill Moyers talking ABOUT Jeremiah Wright or Bill Moyers defending Jeremiah Wright, it is Bill Moyers asking Jeremiah Wright questions that needed to be asked.

PH2008042502674.jpg

Sen. Barack Obama's former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, told PBS host Bill Moyers that inflammatory statements from his sermons were taken out of context, but he said he didn't begrudge the Democratic candidate for denouncing them.
What can't you understand? Rev. Wright's interview will Bill Moyers, an interview that I've watched many times, is a Public Relations interview meant to make excuses for what he's said. It's insincere! It's made to run from all the criticism he's created for himself. Famous people have been doing this for years. They give us the "out of context" excuse, and backtrack for their own good. Stop it already!

Have you read his Anti-Semitic remarks for which he was forced to publicly apologize for?

Did you read his "This country got what it deserved" speech after the September 11th attacks?

Have you read all of Rev. Wright's race-baiting, hatred for WHITE government speech?

Can you acknowledge past parishioners talking about how Rev. Wright has distributed hate material among his followers for years?

Can you acknowledge that President about has publicly voiced disdain for what Rev. Wright has said, on numerous occasions?

PH2008042502674.jpg

What can't you understand? Rev. Wright's interview will Bill Moyers, an interview that I've watched many times, is a Public Relations interview meant to make excuses for what he's said. It's insincere! It's made to run from all the criticism he's created for himself. Famous people have been doing this for years. They give us the "out of context" excuse, and backtrack for their own good. Stop it already!

Have you read his Anti-Semitic remarks for which he was forced to publicly apologize for?

Did you read his "This country got what it deserved" speech after the September 11th attacks?

Have you read all of Rev. Wright's race-baiting, hatred for WHITE government speech?

Can you acknowledge past parishioners talking about how Rev. Wright has distributed hate material among his followers for years?

Can you acknowledge that President about has publicly voiced disdain for what Rev. Wright has said, on numerous occasions?

Insincere? That is exactly what I believe you're being...because IF you really DID watch and listen to Wright's interview with Bill Moyers, you would know there were no excuses given...

I don't defend every word the man has said, and I don't agree with everything he says either. But I don't see or hear a man seething with hate...

I see a man who is only seething with hate FOR injustice and FOR the abuse or killing of innocent human beings...Reverend Wright does not excuse our government when IT abuses or kills innocent human beings...do YOU???

Do you? You accuse Wright of making excuses...Yet, If YOU defend and absolve our government when it abuses or kills innocent human beings, then YOU are the one making excuses...unacceptable ones...excuses that God won't accept...

Reverend Wright's sermon after 9/11...IF you actually listened to Wright's complete sermon after 9/11 and came away with only "This country got what it deserved"...then you are not only insincere...you are obtuse...

PH2008042502674.jpg

Insincere? That is exactly what I believe you're being...because IF you really DID watch and listen to Wright's interview with Bill Moyers, you would know there were no excuses given...

I don't defend every word the man has said, and I don't agree with everything he says either. But I don't see or hear a man seething with hate...

I see a man who is only seething with hate FOR injustice and FOR the abuse or killing of innocent human beings...Reverend Wright does not excuse our government when IT abuses or kills innocent human beings...do YOU???

Do you? You accuse Wright of making excuses...Yet, If YOU defend and absolve our government when it abuses or kills innocent human beings, then YOU are the one making excuses...unacceptable ones...excuses that God won't accept...

Reverend Wright's sermon after 9/11...IF you actually listened to Wright's complete sermon after 9/11 and came away with only "This country got what it deserved"...then you are not only insincere...you are obtuse...
Thanks for avoiding everything I posted.

Once again, save us all time by just responding with the words "White" and "Guilt".

Thanks!

No No No!! He aint no Marxist Loon cuz it's that damn BOOOOOOOOOOOSSHHH AN FOXXXXXX NOOOOOOOOOOOOZ!!!

White preachers, Reverend Wright and God-damm America

Francis Schaeffer

When Senator Obama's preacher thundered about racism and injustice Obama suffered smear-by-association. But when my late father -- Religious Right leader Francis Schaeffer -- denounced America and even called for the violent overthrow of the US government, he was invited to lunch with presidents Ford, Reagan and Bush, Sr.

Every Sunday thousands of right wing white preachers (following in my father's footsteps) rail against America's sins from tens of thousands of pulpits. They tell us that America is complicit in the "murder of the unborn," has become "Sodom" by coddling gays, and that our public schools are sinful places full of evolutionists and sex educators hell-bent on corrupting children. They say, as my dad often did, that we are, "under the judgment of God." They call America evil and warn of immanent destruction. By comparison Obama's minister's shouted "controversial" comments were mild. All he said was that God should damn America for our racism and violence and that no one had ever used the N-word about Hillary Clinton.

Dad and I were amongst the founders of the Religious right. In the 1970s and 1980s, while Dad and I crisscrossed America denouncing our nation's sins instead of getting in trouble we became darlings of the Republican Party. (This was while I was my father's sidekick before I dropped out of the evangelical movement altogether.) We were rewarded for our "stand" by people such as Congressman Jack Kemp, the Fords, Reagan and the Bush family. The top Republican leadership depended on preachers and agitators like us to energize their rank and file. No one called us un-American.

---

Was any conservative political leader associated with Dad running for cover? Far from it. Dad was a frequent guest of the Kemps, had lunch with the Fords, stayed in the White House as their guest, he met with Reagan, helped Dr. C. Everett Koop become Surgeon General. (I went on the 700 Club several times to generate support for Koop).

---

Take Dad's words and put them in the mouth of Obama's preacher (or in the mouth of any black American preacher) and people would be accusing that preacher of treason. Yet when we of the white Religious Right denounced America white conservative Americans and top political leaders, called our words "godly" and "prophetic" and a "call to repentance."

We Republican agitators of the mid 1970s to the late 1980s were genuinely anti-American in the same spirit that later Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson (both followers of my father) were anti-American when they said God had removed his blessing from America on 9/11, because America accepted gays. Falwell and Robertson recanted but we never did.

My dad's books denouncing America and comparing the USA to Hitler are still best sellers in the "respectable" evangelical community and he's still hailed as a prophet by many Republican leaders. When Mike Huckabee was recently asked by Katie Couric to name one book he'd take with him to a desert island, besides the Bible, he named Dad's Whatever Happened to the Human Race? a book where Dad also compared America to Hitler's Germany.

The hypocrisy of the right denouncing Obama, because of his minister's words, is staggering. They are the same people who argue for the right to "bear arms" as "insurance" to limit government power. They are the same people that (in the early 1980s roared and cheered when I called down damnation on America as "fallen away from God" at their national meetings where I was keynote speaker, including the annual meeting of the ultraconservative Southern Baptist convention, and the religious broadcasters that I addressed.

Whole article

........ In his book President Obama mentioned that he followed the teachings of Martin Luther King , thats paraphrasing. Dr. King who I greatly admire by the way, dreamed of an all inclusive society where a person was judged on their the content of their character and not on the color of their skin. Given that the Rev. Wright from his serom(s) while trying to uplift the black community which I admire as well, appears to teach the opposite of Dr. King. which I do not agree with. What I had said when it comes to the President. is that generally people are the sum of all their experiences and having been subjected to what I term to be a "seperatist" doctrine the President at the very least was introduced to it and as such it became part of his life experience as was his readings about Dr. King. I am a big believer that when our society STOPS judging people by the color of their skin no matter what the agenda then we will see one another for what we really are and thats human beings. While I do understand how someone can admire Rev. Wright for the deeds of the church because thats easy to admire, I for one do not agree on the Rev(s). divisive comments which seem to show a desire to keep people seperate based on the color of their skin.

Rev. Wright is not a separatist. If he was, he either would have convinced the church to leave the UCC or he would have left himself. The UCC is a predominately white denomination. Why would anyone preaching hatred towards whites or black separatism stay within the UCC? Not only did Rev. Wright stay in the UCC, but he created its largest congregation. Trinity UCC is also one of the largest (if not the largest) financial supporter of the UCC. Trinity's membership in the UCC and their financial support is totally voluntary. Trinity does have white members in spite of its location within an overwhelmingly black neighborhood and its use of African cultural traditions. Almost every Sunday there are visiting groups from the greater Chicago area. Many of these groups are predominately white. Why would these groups continually return if the congregation was hostile toward them or the sermon attacked them? I read lots of testimonials by white people talking about how wonderful and welcoming their experiences at Trinity where.

Rev. Wright from the National Press Club.
The prophetic theology of the black church has always seen and still sees all of God's children as sisters and brothers, equals who need reconciliation, who need to be reconciled as equals in order for us to walk together into the future which God has prepared for us.

Reconciliation does not mean that blacks become whites or whites become blacks and Hispanics become Asian or that Asians become Europeans.

Reconciliation means we embrace our individual rich histories, all of them. We retain who we are as persons of different cultures, while acknowledging that those of other cultures are not superior or inferior to us. They are just different from us.

We root out any teaching of superiority, inferiority, hatred, or prejudice.

And we recognize for the first time in modern history in the West that the other who stands before us with a different color of skin, a different texture of hair, different music, different preaching styles, and different dance moves, that other is one of God's children just as we are, no better, no worse, prone to error and in need of forgiveness, just as we are.

Francis Schaeffer

When Senator Obama's preacher thundered about racism and injustice Obama suffered smear-by-association. But when my late father -- Religious Right leader Francis Schaeffer -- denounced America and even called for the violent overthrow of the US government, he was invited to lunch with presidents Ford, Reagan and Bush, Sr.

Every Sunday thousands of right wing white preachers (following in my father's footsteps) rail against America's sins from tens of thousands of pulpits. They tell us that America is complicit in the "murder of the unborn," has become "Sodom" by coddling gays, and that our public schools are sinful places full of evolutionists and sex educators hell-bent on corrupting children. They say, as my dad often did, that we are, "under the judgment of God." They call America evil and warn of immanent destruction. By comparison Obama's minister's shouted "controversial" comments were mild. All he said was that God should damn America for our racism and violence and that no one had ever used the N-word about Hillary Clinton.

Dad and I were amongst the founders of the Religious right. In the 1970s and 1980s, while Dad and I crisscrossed America denouncing our nation's sins instead of getting in trouble we became darlings of the Republican Party. (This was while I was my father's sidekick before I dropped out of the evangelical movement altogether.) We were rewarded for our "stand" by people such as Congressman Jack Kemp, the Fords, Reagan and the Bush family. The top Republican leadership depended on preachers and agitators like us to energize their rank and file. No one called us un-American.

---

Was any conservative political leader associated with Dad running for cover? Far from it. Dad was a frequent guest of the Kemps, had lunch with the Fords, stayed in the White House as their guest, he met with Reagan, helped Dr. C. Everett Koop become Surgeon General. (I went on the 700 Club several times to generate support for Koop).

---

Take Dad's words and put them in the mouth of Obama's preacher (or in the mouth of any black American preacher) and people would be accusing that preacher of treason. Yet when we of the white Religious Right denounced America white conservative Americans and top political leaders, called our words "godly" and "prophetic" and a "call to repentance."

We Republican agitators of the mid 1970s to the late 1980s were genuinely anti-American in the same spirit that later Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson (both followers of my father) were anti-American when they said God had removed his blessing from America on 9/11, because America accepted gays. Falwell and Robertson recanted but we never did.

My dad's books denouncing America and comparing the USA to Hitler are still best sellers in the "respectable" evangelical community and he's still hailed as a prophet by many Republican leaders. When Mike Huckabee was recently asked by Katie Couric to name one book he'd take with him to a desert island, besides the Bible, he named Dad's Whatever Happened to the Human Race? a book where Dad also compared America to Hitler's Germany.

The hypocrisy of the right denouncing Obama, because of his minister's words, is staggering. They are the same people who argue for the right to "bear arms" as "insurance" to limit government power. They are the same people that (in the early 1980s roared and cheered when I called down damnation on America as "fallen away from God" at their national meetings where I was keynote speaker, including the annual meeting of the ultraconservative Southern Baptist convention, and the religious broadcasters that I addressed.

Whole article

What does this have to do with Rev. Wright's full arsenal of hate speech?

With Rev. Wright, it wasn't just what he said about this country. It's also about the timing of his speech. He passive aggressively rubbed the September 11th attacks in the face of American, right after they happened. Why aren't you able to understand this? Oh yeah, white guilt!

With Rev. Wright, it's about his constant disdain for Jewish people, and his Anti-semitic remarks. Remarks that he's been forced to apologize for by various anti-defamation organizations. Why aren't you able to understand this? Oh yeah, white guilt!

With Rev. Wright, it's about him continually bringing up how bad WHITE people are. His hatred for white people has been distributed among his followers. Why aren't you able to understand this? Oh yeah, white guilt!

With Rev. Wright, it's about his continued race baiting. He's a race baiter along the lines of Al Sharpton, and Jessie Jackson. His goal is to keep the races separate by provoking feelings of discontent among them. Why aren't you able to understand this? Oh yeah, white guilt!

Your desperate attempts to defend a hateful, race baiting man are pathetic.

Once again, save us all time by simply writing the words "white" and "guilt" in every one of your posts.

Thanks!

........ In his book President Obama mentioned that he followed the teachings of Martin Luther King , thats paraphrasing. Dr. King who I greatly admire by the way, dreamed of an all inclusive society where a person was judged on their the content of their character and not on the color of their skin. Given that the Rev. Wright from his serom(s) while trying to uplift the black community which I admire as well, appears to teach the opposite of Dr. King. which I do not agree with. What I had said when it comes to the President. is that generally people are the sum of all their experiences and having been subjected to what I term to be a "seperatist" doctrine the President at the very least was introduced to it and as such it became part of his life experience as was his readings about Dr. King. I am a big believer that when our society STOPS judging people by the color of their skin no matter what the agenda then we will see one another for what we really are and thats human beings. While I do understand how someone can admire Rev. Wright for the deeds of the church because thats easy to admire, I for one do not agree on the Rev(s). divisive comments which seem to show a desire to keep people seperate based on the color of their skin.

Rev. Wright is not a separatist. If he was, he either would have convinced the church to leave the UCC or he would have left himself. The UCC is a predominately white denomination. Why would anyone preaching hatred towards whites or black separatism stay within the UCC? Not only did Rev. Wright stay in the UCC, but he created its largest congregation. Trinity UCC is also one of the largest (if not the largest) financial supporter of the UCC. Trinity's membership in the UCC and their financial support is totally voluntary. Trinity does have white members in spite of its location within an overwhelmingly black neighborhood and its use of African cultural traditions. Almost every Sunday there are visiting groups from the greater Chicago area. Many of these groups are predominately white. Why would these groups continually return if the congregation was hostile toward them or the sermon attacked them? I read lots of testimonials by white people talking about how wonderful and welcoming their experiences at Trinity where.

Rev. Wright from the National Press Club.
The prophetic theology of the black church has always seen and still sees all of God's children as sisters and brothers, equals who need reconciliation, who need to be reconciled as equals in order for us to walk together into the future which God has prepared for us.

Reconciliation does not mean that blacks become whites or whites become blacks and Hispanics become Asian or that Asians become Europeans.

Reconciliation means we embrace our individual rich histories, all of them. We retain who we are as persons of different cultures, while acknowledging that those of other cultures are not superior or inferior to us. They are just different from us.

We root out any teaching of superiority, inferiority, hatred, or prejudice.

And we recognize for the first time in modern history in the West that the other who stands before us with a different color of skin, a different texture of hair, different music, different preaching styles, and different dance moves, that other is one of God's children just as we are, no better, no worse, prone to error and in need of forgiveness, just as we are.
I love how you leave out all the facts. You come off as being someone who has absolutely no knowledge on this situation.

Rev. Wright is a known separatist who preaches hate speech. He's a race baiter along the lines of Al Sharpton, and Jessie Jackson. His goal is to keep the races separate by provoking feelings of discontent among them.

President Obama has publicly condemned Rev. Wright on numerous occasions for his hate speech. So have Anti-defamation organizations.

Rev. Wright is known to have distributed white hate materials among his followers. His views on white people as the enemy are very clear.

I suggest you read, learn the facts, and understand the man we are talking about. I live on the south side of Chicago. I know this mans voice all too well. I live the hate he preaches. So sitting in the bleachers in whatever far away state you live in, defending this man, is pathetic!

Francis Schaeffer

---

---

Whole article

With Rev. Wright, it wasn't just what he said about this country. It's also about the timing of his speech. He passive aggressively rubbed the September 11th attacks in the face of American, right after they happened. Why aren't you able to understand this? Oh yeah, white guilt!

With Rev. Wright, it's about his constant disdain for Jewish people, and his Anti-semitic remarks. Remarks that he's been forced to apologize for by various anti-defamation organizations. Why aren't you able to understand this? Oh yeah, white guilt!

With Rev. Wright, it's about him continually bringing up how bad WHITE people are. His hatred for white people has been distributed among his followers. Why aren't you able to understand this? Oh yeah, white guilt!

With Rev. Wright, it's about his continued race baiting. He's a race baiter along the lines of Al Sharpton, and Jessie Jackson. His goal is to keep the races separate by provoking feelings of discontent among them. Why aren't you able to understand this? Oh yeah, white guilt!

Once again, save us all time by simply writing the words "white" and "guilt" in every one of your posts.

Thanks!

Well, we've established that you are disingenuous...you "claim" to be a moderate liberal...you are neither...

You have responded to my posts with the same accusation..."white guilt"... you've created a grand total of one thread on this board...the theme..."white guilt"...

And...you "claim" you've listened to Wright's interview with Bill Moyers and you "claim" you've listened to Wright's whole sermon after 911...yet there is not a single shred of evidence in any of your replies. Matter of fact, there is not much evidence that you've even listened to anything I've said or what William Smyth said on this post...

EVERY pastor in America should have given Reverend Wright's sermon after 911...He told the people in this country an uncomfortable TRUTH...you may FEEL hurt and you may FEEL slighted and your blind statism and nationalism may FEEL challenged...but sometimes the truth hurts. The truth is we were NOT attacked on 911 because they hated our freedom. We were attacked because of an American foreign policy where we've propped up dictators like Saddam Hussein or overthrown leaders like Mohammed Mossadegh and put our own self interests ahead of the peoples of those countries and ahead of human life. It's called blowback...Wright pointed out that Ambassador Edward Peck said it on Fox News and he was upsetting the Fox News commentators to no end. Peck served as deputy director of the White House Task Force on Terrorism in the Reagan Administration.

"Blowback"
is a CIA term first used in March 1954 in a recently declassified report on the 1953 operation to overthrow the government of Mohammed Mossadegh in Iran. It is a metaphor for the unintended consequences of the US government's international activities that have been kept secret from the American people. The CIA's fears that there might ultimately be some blowback from its egregious interference in the affairs of Iran were well founded. Installing the Shah in power brought twenty-five years of tyranny and repression to the Iranian people and elicited the Ayatollah Khomeini's revolution. The staff of the American embassy in Teheran was held hostage for more than a year. This misguided "covert operation" of the US government helped convince many capable people throughout the Islamic world that the United States was an implacable enemy.

Wright preached that governments fail and governments lie, but God never fails and God never lies...he preached that our response to the attacks should be self examination...soul searching...and he warned of revenge, and of turning the hatred for the armed soldiers (the people that attacked us) into hatred for the unarmed innocent...the babies...the human beings that would become the REAL victims of our hatred and revenge...

And WHAT did America do? We sought revenge, we brought Satan's party; WAR, to Iraq, and it is that WAR which brought the wrath of Satan to Iraq...murdered babies, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters that would have still been alive today...It wasted America's blood and treasure and ended the lives of thousand of America's sons and daughters that perished in that same WAR....and we never killed the armed soldiers, the people that attacked us...we killed the innocent, we displaced thousand of Iraqis that were forced to flee their homeland...

BUT hey, the living breathing humans that WAR annihilated LOOKED like the people who attacked us...

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
Mahatma Gandhi

Francis Schaeffer

---

---

Whole article

Thanks!

Well, we've established that you are disingenuous...you "claim" to be a moderate liberal...you are neither...

You have responded to my posts with the same accusation..."white guilt"... you've created a grand total of one thread on this board...the theme..."white guilt"...

And...you "claim" you've listened to Wright's interview with Bill Moyers and you "claim" you've listened to Wright's whole sermon after 911...yet there is not a single shred of evidence in any of your replies. Matter of fact, there is not much evidence that you've even listened to anything I've said or what William Smyth said on this post...

EVERY pastor in America should have given Reverend Wright's sermon after 911...He told the people in this country an uncomfortable TRUTH...you may FEEL hurt and you may FEEL slighted and your blind statism and nationalism may FEEL challenged...but sometimes the truth hurts. The truth is we were NOT attacked on 911 because they hated our freedom. We were attacked because of an American foreign policy where we've propped up dictators like Saddam Hussein or overthrown leaders like Mohammed Mossadegh and put our own self interests ahead of the peoples of those countries and ahead of human life. It's called blowback...Wright pointed out that Ambassador Edward Peck said it on Fox News and he was upsetting the Fox News commentators to no end. Peck served as deputy director of the White House Task Force on Terrorism in the Reagan Administration.

"Blowback"
is a CIA term first used in March 1954 in a recently declassified report on the 1953 operation to overthrow the government of Mohammed Mossadegh in Iran. It is a metaphor for the unintended consequences of the US government's international activities that have been kept secret from the American people. The CIA's fears that there might ultimately be some blowback from its egregious interference in the affairs of Iran were well founded. Installing the Shah in power brought twenty-five years of tyranny and repression to the Iranian people and elicited the Ayatollah Khomeini's revolution. The staff of the American embassy in Teheran was held hostage for more than a year. This misguided "covert operation" of the US government helped convince many capable people throughout the Islamic world that the United States was an implacable enemy.

Wright preached that governments fail and governments lie, but God never fails and God never lies...he preached that our response to the attacks should be self examination...soul searching...and he warned of revenge, and of turning the hatred for the armed soldiers (the people that attacked us) into hatred for the unarmed innocent...the babies...the human beings that would become the REAL victims of our hatred and revenge...

And WHAT did America do? We sought revenge, we brought Satan's party; WAR, to Iraq, and it is that WAR which brought the wrath of Satan to Iraq...murdered babies, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters that would have still been alive today...It wasted America's blood and treasure and ended the lives of thousand of America's sons and daughters that perished in that same WAR....and we never killed the armed soldiers, the people that attacked us...we killed the innocent, we displaced thousand of Iraqis that were forced to flee their homeland...

BUT hey, the living breathing humans that WAR annihilated LOOKED like the people who attacked us...

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
Mahatma Gandhi
How can't you under stand the act of timing? People died! Families lost their fathers! You wait to make a speech like that out of courtesy for those who've died. But lets move past that....

Why can't you acknowledge Wright's anti-semitics?

Why can't you acknowledge Wright's race bating, and separatist themes?

Why can't you acknowledge Wright's passing out white hate materials among his followers for years?

Why can't you acknowledge both President Obama, and anti-defamation organizations voicing concerns for Wright's preachings, on many occasions?

Where do you live? I live on the south side of Chicago. Who do you think has more credibility on this issue?

I'll be waiting for you to address each of my questions.....

Thanks!

"Blowback"

Mahatma Gandhi
How can't you under stand the act of timing? People died! Families lost their fathers! You wait to make a speech like that out of courtesy for those who've died. But lets move past that....

Why can't you acknowledge Wright's passing out white hate materials among his followers for years?

Why can't you acknowledge both President Obama, and anti-defamation organizations voicing concerns for Wright's preachings, on many occasions?

Where do you live? I live on the south side of Chicago. Who do you think has more credibility on this issue?

We've reached the point where it's time for you to do the work...provide links...

"Blowback"

Mahatma Gandhi

We've reached the point where it's time for you to do the work...provide links...
This is the point where you retreat, I see.

Where do you live?

Forum List

Back