Retirement age at 69? Deficit plan hits Social Security.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Middleman, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Middleman

Middleman Defender of the month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +289
    How do you feel about retirement? Inevitably the retirement age will be raised. The system just won't support people living off of SS the length of time that modern medicine has created for the elderly. Of course, the cost of that modern medicine is also high, and healthcare costs keep rising each year, but we can all pay for that.

Of course, many will be unable to work because of chronic health problems. I guess all the healthy people can just work harder to pay for the SS disability checks for the unhealthy. I wonder if unemployment will go up because the old folks will need to work until they're 69?

Retirement age at 69? Deficit plan hits Social Security. - CSMonitor.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Mpyre

3. shintao

shintao Take Down ~ Tap Out

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Seems like there are a lot of people who paid into social security, but die, and never get to draw a dime of it. Where did their SS funds go?

CAUSES OF DEATH

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Ive never understood the obsession with retiring. Life is so much more fulfilling with work.

5. DaGoose

DaGoose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +676
    I agree with what you're saying. However, in my 50's I'm getting to the point where I can't do the swing shift (weekly rotation), jack hammering, yanking on those big valves (some are 4' across) like I used to. Eventually it's going to get to the point where I will just end up hurting myself. So I intend to retire from my current job in a few years. Instead I will find work doing something else. Hopefully along the lines of my being a trained Safety Professional. Worse case scenario I will be a security guard or truck driver somewhere.

Just because I retire from one job doesn't mean I'll stop working.

6. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,295
    Tell that to a roofer, a miner, or a laborer. There are many jobs in which working into your sixties is too hard. Even in law I think the old farts should retire and give the young people a chance. Easy jobs. easy money, and normal perverse human nature get in the way of sensible retirement rules.

Now so long as congress also gets rid of their pensions and other perks they have, I'm with them, but notice they will mostly be long dead by these deadlines and social security is not the big issue, Medicare is, but being the corporate flunkies they are congress runs from real trouble and hurts as always, the working person.

"In the political turnover in the United States in the autumn of 1994, as previously indicated, those opposing aid to the poor in its several forms won their stunning victory with the support of less than one quarter all eligible voters, fewer than half of whom had gone to the polls. The popular and media response was that those who had prevailed represented the view and voice of the public. Had there been a full turnout at the election, both the result and the reaction would have been decidedly different. The sense of social responsibility for the poor would have been greatly enhanced." John Kenneth Galbraith 'The Good Society'

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,474
    Why will people need to work until they're 69? All this means is that they won't be able to draw from SS until age 69. It doesn't mean they can't retire. Besides, people are living longer today and medical technology is always advancing. I imagine by the time I reach 69 working at that age won't be that big of a deal.

8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Not surprisingly you can't think outside the box.

No one is suggesting that someone has to do the same jobs for all of their life. That's the beauty of having a Free Republic. We can do different things.

I know you seem to think these people are too stupid or weak. But I guarentee you that they are a hell of alot more resilent and smarter than you.

9. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,825
    Only if you're doing something you love to do.

10. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,647
    It was bound to happen with people living longer and us Baby Boomers and all.