Retirement age at 69? Deficit plan hits Social Security.

How do you feel about retirement? Inevitably the retirement age will be raised. The system just won't support people living off of SS the length of time that modern medicine has created for the elderly. Of course, the cost of that modern medicine is also high, and healthcare costs keep rising each year, but we can all pay for that.

Of course, many will be unable to work because of chronic health problems. I guess all the healthy people can just work harder to pay for the SS disability checks for the unhealthy. I wonder if unemployment will go up because the old folks will need to work until they're 69?

Retirement age at 69? Deficit plan hits Social Security. - CSMonitor.com

The proposals from Simpson and Bowles would be phased in over time; here are the three most important cuts to benefits:

1. Benefits formula: Simpson and Bowles recommend some highly technical changes to the formula used to determine benefits. This is the biggest single change, reducing the Social Security Trust Fund (SSTF) long-term shortfall by 45 percent. These changes would affect the way Social Security averages workers' lifetime earnings to determine benefits.

2. Boost the retirement age. The full benefits retirement age would rise to 68 by 2050, and 69 by 2075. Reform advocates and actuaries argue that we'll all need to work longer due to rising longevity rates. But it's important to understand that boosting Social Security's full retirement age is a lifetime benefit cut for everyone, no matter when you retire. Earlier this year, advocates at Social Security Works calculated that raising the full retirement age to 70 from 67 would reduce lifetime benefits by 19 percent for a worker entitled to a monthly payment of $1,000.

Working longer is a key strategy for improving retirement security – for knowledge workers and professionals best positioned to pull it off. It doesn't work well for workers who do physically demanding low income jobs. Simpson and Bowles are recommending a "hardship exception" for certain occupations where working longer isn't an option, but the devil will be in the details. Ask anyone who has struggled to qualify for Social Security disability payments – the process is long and complicated

Most chronic health issues are due to poor lifestyle choices. If the expected lifespan is into the 80s or 90s, it makes sense to raise the retirement age. Perhaps when face with needing to work longer, people will take better care of themselves.

We need to stop enabling overeating, drug and alcohol abuse, and sloth.

We should also implement a Chilean style of retirement savings and take away the slush fund from Congress.

Exactly. No need to pass laws to ensure people do the healthy thing.....let them do it for the right reason.
Me? I wore my seatbelt before the law was passed.
I know people that use it ONLY becuase the law was passed.
Personal responsibility. It is not such a bad thing.

People are going to have to stop spending all their money, and start saving for retirement, and stop expecting the government to save their butts.

I'll tell you, I was widowed when my youngest two children were 1 and 3. My children receive social security totaling $2400 a month. That's about $27,000 a year. A $400,000 life insurance policy on our part would have accomplished the same thing. Term life insurance is very affordable.

I wonder how well I would be situated being allowed to invest the money I pay into FICA, and instead invest it in Mutual Funds? Wouldn't that also be better for the American economy?

Put it in a college fund. Best investment ever.

How do you feel about retirement? Inevitably the retirement age will be raised. The system just won't support people living off of SS the length of time that modern medicine has created for the elderly. Of course, the cost of that modern medicine is also high, and healthcare costs keep rising each year, but we can all pay for that.

Of course, many will be unable to work because of chronic health problems. I guess all the healthy people can just work harder to pay for the SS disability checks for the unhealthy. I wonder if unemployment will go up because the old folks will need to work until they're 69?

The proposals from Simpson and Bowles would be phased in over time; here are the three most important cuts to benefits:

1. Benefits formula: Simpson and Bowles recommend some highly technical changes to the formula used to determine benefits. This is the biggest single change, reducing the Social Security Trust Fund (SSTF) long-term shortfall by 45 percent. These changes would affect the way Social Security averages workers' lifetime earnings to determine benefits.

2. Boost the retirement age. The full benefits retirement age would rise to 68 by 2050, and 69 by 2075. Reform advocates and actuaries argue that we'll all need to work longer due to rising longevity rates. But it's important to understand that boosting Social Security's full retirement age is a lifetime benefit cut for everyone, no matter when you retire. Earlier this year, advocates at Social Security Works calculated that raising the full retirement age to 70 from 67 would reduce lifetime benefits by 19 percent for a worker entitled to a monthly payment of $1,000.

Working longer is a key strategy for improving retirement security – for knowledge workers and professionals best positioned to pull it off. It doesn't work well for workers who do physically demanding low income jobs. Simpson and Bowles are recommending a "hardship exception" for certain occupations where working longer isn't an option, but the devil will be in the details. Ask anyone who has struggled to qualify for Social Security disability payments – the process is long and complicated

Most chronic health issues are due to poor lifestyle choices. If the expected lifespan is into the 80s or 90s, it makes sense to raise the retirement age. Perhaps when face with needing to work longer, people will take better care of themselves.

We should also implement a Chilean style of retirement savings and take away the slush fund from Congress.
Sounds a little like Michelle Obama's Anti-Obesity ideas.

People are going to have to stop spending all their money, and start saving for retirement, and stop expecting the government to save their butts.

I'll tell you, I was widowed when my youngest two children were 1 and 3. My children receive social security totaling $2400 a month. That's about $27,000 a year. A $400,000 life insurance policy on our part would have accomplished the same thing. Term life insurance is very affordable.

I wonder how well I would be situated being allowed to invest the money I pay into FICA, and instead invest it in Mutual Funds? Wouldn't that also be better for the American economy?

Put it in a college fund. Best investment ever.

I'm speaking of the money taken out of my paycheck that goes to FICA Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax

We should also implement a Chilean style of retirement savings and take away the slush fund from Congress - 100% agree

Boost the retirement age. The full benefits retirement age would rise to 68 by 2050, and 69 by 2075.
:lol::lol:

2050 and 2075? what planet are these yahoos living on? we'll be buried as a country by then.... hey, why not the year 2525?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhNM2K8cmU8[/ame]

what a joke. they can grandfather this in by giving todays 50 year olds enough time ahead for fair warning.

how about in 5 years, 2016, anyone over 55 has to got to till there 68.

in 10 years 69.

Ive never understood the obsession with retiring. Life is so much more fulfilling with work.

Tell that to a roofer, a miner, or a laborer. There are many jobs in which working into your sixties is too hard. Even in law I think the old farts should retire and give the young people a chance. Easy jobs. easy money, and normal perverse human nature get in the way of sensible retirement rules.

Now so long as congress also gets rid of their pensions and other perks they have, I'm with them, but notice they will mostly be long dead by these deadlines and social security is not the big issue, Medicare is, but being the corporate flunkies they are congress runs from real trouble and hurts as always, the working person.

"In the political turnover in the United States in the autumn of 1994, as previously indicated, those opposing aid to the poor in its several forms won their stunning victory with the support of less than one quarter all eligible voters, fewer than half of whom had gone to the polls. The popular and media response was that those who had prevailed represented the view and voice of the public. Had there been a full turnout at the election, both the result and the reaction would have been decidedly different. The sense of social responsibility for the poor would have been greatly enhanced." John Kenneth Galbraith 'The Good Society'

Most of the carpenters, construction workers & farmers I know are working at 75 years old. They are in great physical condition due to the exercises they get on the job. That being said I do not think we should raise the Social Security retirement age. We need to means test, cut Medicare & stop the Medicare fraud.

Exactly. No need to pass laws to ensure people do the healthy thing.....let them do it for the right reason.

When I got my first car, the insurance company offered a discount to people who agreed that they would always wear a seat belt. That worked for me.

Last edited:
Boost the retirement age. The full benefits retirement age would rise to 68 by 2050, and 69 by 2075.
:lol::lol:

2050 and 2075? what planet are these yahoos living on? we'll be buried as a country by then.... hey, why not the year 2525?

IF Man is still alive....

;)

When I got my first car, the insurance company offered a discount for people who agreed that they would always wear a seat belt. That worked for me.

All I needed was to attend the funeral of a 16 year old friend.

Ive never understood the obsession with retiring. Life is so much more fulfilling with work.

Now there's a plan. Do away with retirement altogether, then we need not worry about social security taxes for the demonRats to piss away. Get rid of all of it.

A Sound Republican Platform....go for it, Willow!

well fuck, when demonRats get through pissing it all away no one is going to be able to retire anyway.

When I retire I will refuse social security.

Bullshit.

It's not bullshit. It's a fact. I have more than enough to last me the rest of my life and I could retire right now and live quite comfortably.

Long overdue. I would phase it in based on your age and raise it to 70 for those in their 20s and 30s. With 401Ks, paying off morgages early, individual savings there is no reason you can't retire earlier if you want to

Everybody has to be realistic. We have to raise the retirement age for Social Security. The other options are raise taxes substantially or cut military spending drastically. Of those three options, raising the age on Social Security is a no-brainer. The American People and politicians would not accept raising taxes or cutting military spending as much as we'd have to to cover the costs of Social Security going forward on current terms. We can't continue borrowing at an even higher rate, the 4th option. Whatever the complications are with raising the retirement age, it has to be done. We can compare whether it's more unfair to not pay the blue collar worker Social Security until he's 69 to the wealthy inidividual who paid into Social Security, but we'd means test them out. In the end the proposals on the table include means testing, raising the age for everyone, and taking in more money by taking payroll tax out of high dollar earners. They're all on the table, but I don't see how you make it work without raising the age as part of the equation.

Last edited:
Everybody has to be realistic. We have to raise the retirement age for Social Security. The other options are raise taxes substantially or cut military spending drastically. Of those three options, raising the age on Social Security is a no-brainer. The American People and politicians would not accept raising taxes or cutting military spending as much as we'd have to to cover the costs of Social Security going forward on current terms. We can't continue borrowing at an even higher rate, the 4th option. Whatever the complications are with raising the retirement age, it has to be done. We can compare whether it's more unfair to not pay the blue collar worker Social Security until he's 69 to the wealthy inidividual who paid into Social Security, but we'd means test them out. In the end the proposals on the table include means testing, raising the age for everyone, and taking in more money by taking payroll tax out of high dollar earners. They're all on the table, but I don't see how you make it work without raising the age as part of the equation.

jUST THIN, IF WE COULD HAVE ALL THE MONEY PISSED AWAY ON ILLEGAL ALIENS HOW WELL OFF WE'D BE.

I like retirement ... but I never really imagined myself actually retiring - I always envisioned myself as being at some kind of job until the day I died. Hasn't worked out that way so far. Unfortunately, I was forced into the option of taking early SS benefits if I wanted to continue eating. I get $1,106 per month - it's more than a "tight" budget but I have to make it work until something turns around.

Today's economic situation has forced my apartment managers to raise rent by $20 - and according to people who have lived here for years - rental rates are very few and far between and very nominal. On the other hand, I will make my last car payment this month and that will free up some money. Then I have to have an insurance discussion with my daughter about whether to continue full coverage on my vehicle. I will very likely go back to a non-government food service, at least for meats. I know from past use they have very high quality meats - including big steaks that actually look like steaks. Sealed individually in air tight packaging. A one week order (designed to feed a family of four) will last me a month. Not a bad deal for $30 or so. I'll just need to get online to check things out again - menu changes every month.

I have my health - and that alone is a blessing. I have wonderful family and good friends. I've weathered a lot of storms, but I have finally come into my true self. In those respects, I'm a very wealthy woman.

I agree with what you're saying. However, in my 50's I'm getting to the point where I can't do the swing shift (weekly rotation), jack hammering, yanking on those big valves (some are 4' across) like I used to. Eventually it's going to get to the point where I will just end up hurting myself. So I intend to retire from my current job in a few years. Instead I will find work doing something else. Hopefully along the lines of my being a trained Safety Professional. Worse case scenario I will be a security guard or truck driver somewhere.

Just because I retire from one job doesn't mean I'll stop working.
BIG 10-4 (from an ex-steelworker)!!!

I was never a big fan o' Alan Simpson....but, he served (back) before Republican-politicians evolved into the whiny-assed little-bitches, they are, presently.

John Boner would have to stand on his Mother's shoulders, to kiss Al Simpson's ass.​

When I retire I will refuse social security.
Yeah.....you really sound like someone who's facing that eventuality, sometime-soon.

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back