Retired General Slams Cheney As "Incompetent War Fighter"

Retired General Paul Eaton, senior adviser to the National Security Network, has hit back hard at Dick Cheney a day after the former vice president criticized the Obama administration again for "dithering while America's armed forces are in danger." In a speech Wednesday night, Cheney said, "President Obama now seems afraid to make a decision, and unable to provide his commander on the ground with the troops he needs to complete his mission."
In an NSN press release, Eaton empties his chamber:

The record is clear: Dick Cheney and the Bush administration were incompetent war fighters. They ignored Afghanistan for 7 years with a crude approach to counter-insurgency warfare best illustrated by: 1. Deny it. 2. Ignore it. 3. Bomb it. While our intelligence agencies called the region the greatest threat to America, the Bush White House under-resourced our military efforts, shifted attention to Iraq, and failed to bring to justice the masterminds of September 11.
The only time Cheney and his cabal of foreign policy 'experts' have anything to say is when they feel compelled to protect this failed legacy. While President Obama is tasked with cleaning up the considerable mess they left behind, they continue to defend torture or rewrite a legacy of indifference on Afghanistan. Simply put, Mr. Cheney sees history throughout extremely myopic and partisan eyes.​

ROFLMNAO...

Yeah Bush and Cheney only managed to disaptch two Islamic Governments and establish in their place two freely elected Constitutional Republicans, projecting US power to the other side of the planet against two determined and capable foes...

So whoever this "General" is, as is often the case... he's likely being taken out of context by sychophants of the Left who need such to advance their specious 'perspective.'

In truth, the Hussein regime has done ZERO to advance the US interests in the Global War on Terror... and has taken several measures, from funcing HAMAs, the largest ismalic terrorist network in the world with a BILLION DOLLARS IN AID... to promising US Nuclear disarmament; even as IRAN is acquiring their own nuclear means.

LOL...

Leftists...

Whose fault is Afghanistan? - THE WEEK

Cheney-Bush had their chance and failed: The former vice president is one to talk, said Howard Kurtz in The Washington Post. The man who famously promised that Americans would be welcomed as liberators in Iraq has, "shall we say, a mixed record when it comes to war." It's fair for Democrats to ask why, "if the right path in Afghanistan were clear," the Bush-Cheney "failed to find it for seven years."
"Armchair Quarterbacks"

Bush-Cheney were the real ditherers: "The Obama administration raised troop levels in Afghanistan and increased drone strikes in the region," said Adam Serwer in The American Prospect, which is a souped up version of the Bush-Cheney strategy in Afghanistan. "So Cheney is basically admitting that the Bush administration strategy was itself 'dithering.'" That's not "a strong point from which to launch criticism."
"Cheney admits to eight years of 'dithering' in Afghanistan"

Cheney is afraid to leave the country. I wonder how many warrents are out for his arrest as a "war criminal"? Him and Bush.

Could you imagine if either one was arrested? The hilarity?

Blah blah.. war criminal.. blah blah Cheney... blah blah misspell warrant... blah blah Boooooooshhhhhh.... blah blah unfounded and unsubstantiated bullshit presented as 'fact'... blah blah....

More garbage from the brainwashed wingers

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Cheney-Bush had their chance and failed: The former vice president is one to talk, said Howard Kurtz in The Washington Post. The man who famously promised that Americans would be welcomed as liberators in Iraq has, "shall we say, a mixed record when it comes to war." It's fair for Democrats to ask why, "if the right path in Afghanistan were clear," the Bush-Cheney "failed to find it for seven years."
"Armchair Quarterbacks"

Bush-Cheney were the real ditherers: "The Obama administration raised troop levels in Afghanistan and increased drone strikes in the region," said Adam Serwer in The American Prospect, which is a souped up version of the Bush-Cheney strategy in Afghanistan. "So Cheney is basically admitting that the Bush administration strategy was itself 'dithering.'" That's not "a strong point from which to launch criticism."

I'm thinking that the Bush admin tried to get OBL using covert techniques instead of a massive and expensive military assault, which Pakistan wouldn't allow anyway. So Bush tried the covert/drone strategery.
Now it seems that Obama is throwning Chinese borrowed money at Pakistan and is getting some results if the Pak army comes in from the east, and the US military "anvils" the west at the AFG border, AQ could be caught in the middle and destroyed. I don't know how much loot the Paks will play for. $30b seems like wayyyyyy too much. I hope Hillary negotiated that down.
washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/08/pakistan-we-need-a-marshall-plan

"Armchair Quarterbacks"

I'm thinking that the Bush admin tried to get OBL using covert techniques instead of a massive and expensive military assault, which Pakistan wouldn't allow anyway. So Bush tried the covert/drone strategery.
Now it seems that Obama is throwning Chinese borrowed money at Pakistan and is getting some results if the Pak army comes in from the east, and the US military "anvils" the west at the AFG border, AQ could be caught in the middle and destroyed. I don't know how much loot the Paks will play for. $30b seems like wayyyyyy too much. I hope Hillary negotiated that down.

I'm thinking you don't know jack. Rummy and his CIA had Binnie pinned down and ready for the taking. He needed some military help and Cheney dragged ass on it, got a slew of our guys killed and then decided DOD forces could go in months later. Binnie had booked by then.

"Armchair Quarterbacks"

Yeah, the point is when would this have been more competently executed....
Now or back in '02?

Retired General Paul Eaton, senior adviser to the National Security Network, has hit back hard at Dick Cheney a day after the former vice president criticized the Obama administration again for "dithering while America's armed forces are in danger." In a speech Wednesday night, Cheney said, "President Obama now seems afraid to make a decision, and unable to provide his commander on the ground with the troops he needs to complete his mission."
In an NSN press release, Eaton empties his chamber:

The record is clear: Dick Cheney and the Bush administration were incompetent war fighters. They ignored Afghanistan for 7 years with a crude approach to counter-insurgency warfare best illustrated by: 1. Deny it. 2. Ignore it. 3. Bomb it. While our intelligence agencies called the region the greatest threat to America, the Bush White House under-resourced our military efforts, shifted attention to Iraq, and failed to bring to justice the masterminds of September 11.
The only time Cheney and his cabal of foreign policy 'experts' have anything to say is when they feel compelled to protect this failed legacy. While President Obama is tasked with cleaning up the considerable mess they left behind, they continue to defend torture or rewrite a legacy of indifference on Afghanistan. Simply put, Mr. Cheney sees history throughout extremely myopic and partisan eyes.​

Gen Eaton may or may note be correct. Since he is obviously a partisan Democrat, worked on H. Clinton's election staff and then with Obama when Obama won the nomination, anything he says I can only consider suspect. Conjecture on my part but he may be positioning himself to run for some elected office or even a future cabinet post.
Those who know me know I am not saying this just because he is a Democrat, I'm pointing it out because he is a partisan, political hack, regardless of which political side he's on.

"Armchair Quarterbacks"

Yeah, the point is when would this have been more competently executed....
Now or back in '02?

If you read the entire post - if Pakistan was willing at the time, then. But they weren't so now may (hopefully) be the time. Available options and a multitude of variables determine strategy depending on the stituation at the time.

he's gettin to youse guys isn't he.. all you have to do is stfu with barking blame everyday

Cheney's been getting to me since he stol..errr.... "won" the election in 2000. Right now Obama has to clean up 3 major messes the Bush administration created: Iraq, Afghanistan and our economy. Then he can begin with his own agenda.

1)Iraq was a mess that Bush cleaned-up, Obama gets to withdraw the troops and take some sort of credit for doing nothing of significance. In fact he acts as apologist-in-chief.

2) AFG was a puss case well before Clinton, it will be a puss case well after Obama. I defy you to explain how Bush "created the AFG mess".

3) Our economic problems were created by the dems giving mortgages to the unqualified, while Fannie, Freddie, and Mozillo contributed to the dems for their legislative "protection". Obama took the largest bribes to setup the financial collapse, and blocked all GOP attempts at regulating the financial mess. Do your own research, if you can't find any of these claims let me know and I'll furnish the links.

More examples of far right wing delusions. Let's get you straight, stupid eagle: Iraq was a mess Bush created that Obama has to clean up. Bush and GOP congress had six years to fix AFG and did not. Our economic problems were created by greed and little or useless regulation.

If you can't do better than above, crazy eagle, fly away.

The far right delusional wing of the wierdos are crying and sighing, squalling and bawling, are just simply rank and sank out of sight.

Come on, guys, give us something we can work with. Your delusions are making the far right wing and all the Palinistas the laughing stock of Planet Earth, not just the U.S.

"Armchair Quarterbacks"

I'm thinking you don't know jack. Rummy and his CIA had Binnie pinned down and ready for the taking. He needed some military help and Cheney dragged ass on it, got a slew of our guys killed and then decided DOD forces could go in months later. Binnie had booked by then.

Got a link for your bullschit? I think you're trying to describe the Tora-Bora fiasco when Tommy Frank let the AFGs do the mopping-up and then gave OBL a time-out and he slipped away. If Tommy Franks would have provided the US forces the guys on the ground asked for OBL would be dead. Its my understanding that Cheney was in an undisclosed location and not in that loop.
here's the wiki version en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tora_Bora

Last edited:
The funny part is this General seems to actually think Obama will "clean up the mess" in any other way than capitulate.
Also, if you do a little research, and I mean a little, you'll see that Obama has continued the use of "enhanced interrogation techniques". Just ask Rachell Maddow.

he's gettin to youse guys isn't he.. all you have to do is stfu with barking blame everyday :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheney's been getting to me since he stol..errr.... "won" the election in 2000. Right now Obama has to clean up 3 major messes the Bush administration created: Iraq, Afghanistan and our economy. Then he can begin with his own agenda.

:lol::lol::lol: memorization is so much easier than thinking. innit?

Are you so stupid that you can't tell that these ARE my own thoughts? Maybe, just maybe there are a bunch of people who see the same thing and say the same thing.

But go ahead, tell me how Bush ran the Afghanistan war just "swimmingly" and how Iraq was the best war ever run and the economy just happened to collapse under Bush's watch 3 times in 8 years and he had absolutley ZERO impact on that whatsoever.

Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld and others can't leave the country for fear of being arrested as war criminals.

Notice the looniness of willow's posts. They are an excellent example of the delusional alternate reality in which she lives. She truly believe in it, I know, but that does not excuse her looniness.

Mainstream and moderate America despise the far right reactionary nuttiness as represented by Dick Cheney.

Prove all these claims are true.

6% favorable to 87% unfavorable for Republicans in the Northeast. 10% to 78% in the Midwest, and 12% to 78% in the West. But, hooray, a 48% to 37% rating in the South.

Now in what areas are the moderates most strongly represented in?

Got a link for your bullschit? I think you're trying to describe the Tora-Bora fiasco when Tommy Frank let the AFGs do the mopping-up and then gave OBL a time-out and he slipped away. If Tommy Franks would have provided the US forces the guys on the ground asked for OBL would be dead. Its my understanding that Cheney was in an undisclosed location and not in that loop.
here's the wiki version en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tora_Bora

Sure, asshole. Who gave the orders to Tommy Franks? Where does the Buck stop? Every here of accountability?

Forum List

Back