Restaurants You Thought Was Great As A Kid, But As An Adult Not So Much

A & W, great burgers, great root beer, but as time went on, they changed their recipies as well as changed the way they made their root beer.
I agree with you. When I was a kid my Dad would put the family in the car during the hot summer months and take us to A & W for a large frosted mug of their root beer.
Found one still open a few years ago. The root beer tasted like a poor imitation of the original. ... :cool:

If you ever find yourself in Pueblo CO, go to the Shamrock Brewing Co. and get yourself some of their root beer. They make it in house, and it's even better than the old A&W rootbeer. And, not only that, but they also have several different kinds of real beer that they also brew in house. Their food is pretty excellent as well. Every time I make it to Pueblo, I always make a stop there for a meal, as well as to get a jug of their homemade root beer.

A&W - Papa, Mama, Teen and Baby burger were all good, especially the teen because of the bacon.

Today, there hamburgers are not that good.

Seattle has a decent hamburger.place.

1609283933117.png

They used to take cash only, I haven't eaten there for many years.

A&W - Papa, Mama, Teen and Baby burger were all good, especially the teen because of the bacon.

Today, there hamburgers are not that good.

Yep. I miss the old A&W. Their burgers were pretty damn good, and their root beer (back in the 70's) was probably the best around.

Like I told Sunni, if you ever find yourself in Pueblo CO, go to the Shamrock Brewing Co. They make their own root beer and it's even better than what you got from A&W back in the 70's. Their food and other beers that they brew on site are pretty decent as well. Do yourself a favor if you get there, not only get their root beer, but also get an order of Scotch Eggs. You won't be disappointed.

I used to think Arby's was pretty tremendous as a youth, nowadays, not so much.

But the first restaurant I loved was KFC, and still go for it today.

I used to think Arby's was pretty tremendous as a youth, nowadays, not so much.

But the first restaurant I loved was KFC, and still go for it today.

Arby's back in the 70's and early 80's was pretty decent fast food. Now? It seems that a lot of their chow is seriously processed and tastes like crap. I do have to confess though, I think their gyros (when they have them) aren't all that bad.

I was sad when they stopped selling the gyro salad.

I didn't eat at a restaurant of any kind until I was 16. Even then it was ony because I got a job at McDonald's after school.

I don't really eat out much anymore, though. Everything's just so much the same thing just a different sign out front.

There are a couple of places tucked away on kind of hidden marinas I like to go to. But have to be in the mood.

Last edited:
  • Sambo's, which once had 1,100 restaurants, changes name ...
    Jun 06, 2020 · Sambo's, once a chain with more than 1,100 restaurants that traded in racist iconography, will change the name of its last remaining site amid the national protests sparked by the death of George ...
  • Sambo's - Wikipedia
    • Overview
    • History
    • In popular culture
    • External links
    Sambo's was an American restaurant chain, started in 1957 by Sam Battistone Sr. and Newell Bohnett in Santa Barbara, California. Though the name was taken from portions of the names of its founders, the chain soon found itself associated with The Story of Little Black Sambo. Battistone and Bohnett capitalized on this connection by decorating the walls of the restaurants with scenes from the book, including a dark-skinned boy, tigers, and a pale, magical unicycle-riding man called "The Treefriend". By t…
    Wikipedia · Text under CC-BY-SA license
Give some information on why it is no longer around .But it was a good place tp eat.

Has Hardee's ever been that good of a place? I've never hated them, but I have never been a fan of them either. My city used to have four of them all together and now we are down to two.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Most of the restaurants I ate at as a kid, no longer exist.
Turning 57 in 6 weeks means I grew up just at the event horizon of corporate boxes taking over everything.
Having said that, I used to think KFC was awesome. Haven't eaten there for probably 15 years I would guess... but it was absolutely disgusting.

My favorite was this place...

big.jpg

All the family owned places to eat are gone from my home town . It is all chain type and not worth the money.
Tell me about it.
There used to be a fantastic Italian restaurant here, Opened in 1907, stayed within the same family until the 1990s.
Then came along f*cking Olive Garden... followed by Fazollis... and they went out of business.
God I miss that place.

I sooo miss a doughnut shop from my childhood.... a place called Toby's Doughnuts.
Not sure when it opened, it was open throughout my childhood and I remember it closing when the owner died in the early 90s.
Nothing like fresh doughnuts... literally minutes old.

Forum List

Back