Restaurant Adds Mandatory Tip for Non-English Speakers

Or, just add the 15% to ALL the bills.............

Places do that if there is a party of 6 or more all the time. If they feel their employees are getting stiffed then they can just add it on for all, and people can choose to eat there or not knowing that.

You know something? I have never eaten at a place that does that, but I have to say, that if I did, I would refuse to pay the frigging tip. I'm sorry, a tip is supposed to be a "thank you" to the server for the job they did. It is never supposed to be mandatory. I pay 20% (rounded off) when I go out to eat, but I will be dog-goned if I am going to let a restaurant require a tip.

And if I went into a restaurant and saw that, I would leave and never return.

Immie

But what if they've got the best porterhouse in town? :eusa_drool:

Then I probably can't afford to eat there anyway so I'll go somewhere I can eat and settle for the second best Porterhouse in town. :eusa_shhh:

Immie

In my experiance of wait staff all over this country..i beg to differ. Wait staff do make out like bandits.

A waitstaffer with 4 tables that turn ever 2 hours, making a 20 tip off of each table. Thats $40 an hour plus wages. Not a bad deal.

If being a waiter was such a bad deal, then trust me they would leave.

EZ claims she made great money even factoring in everything that wait staff whine about.

You and I both know that that rate does not maintain throughout the entire evening, nor is it even all that likely to happen. If you keep turning 4 tops, you might have a few that spend $25 a person, but they all don't spend like that. On the other hand, if you're working at a higher end kind of place where are per person average of at least $20 tends to be standard, then you're not likely to have a four table section. And we both know that the rush is not going to last all night. Before the rush hits, you're going to be working off of one or two table at a time, and after the rush you'll have a couple more tables before you're sent home. And considering that the vast majority of places across the country have very low hourly wages for servers, the only meaningful wage you're getting is what you get from your tables. A $10 paycheck for two weeks does not get a person anywhere.

Forum List

Back