Republicans Want To Gun Down Big Bird

I never hear the right wing or the republicans complain about the monies spent on unnecessary war items, but when it comes to honest reporting and quality TV, they are up in arms. Killing people is a positive value for them, educating people is a non starter. Killing Big Bird and other quality radio and TV makes the loonies happy. What a sad group of people.

"The biggest single source of revenue for public media entities is membership. Membership contributions to local stations and "friends of..." groups provide critical support for public media." Who pays for public media?

"However, only 10 per cent of the total funding comes from the government grants. Radio stations are growing financially with the two main sources of revenue which are support from listeners and underwriting. Some of the listeners also undertake a community based fundraising."

Whenever I read your 'opinions', I shake my head and wonder whether you are capable of thinking for yourself and forming your own opinions or do you always just regurgitate those of other people?

You want left wing media, you pay for it. There is no reason why the rest of us should be paying for your media.

I have had this tired complaint before, answered it, and anyone who reads my 'threads' knows different. You are best at ad hominem, thought is lost on you. But to be fair, I have never ever seen an original thread from you? Never. If you have an original thought, please add link to this thread. That way I can judge your presumed originally, so far nada.

LOL, how bout that title..

This is what YOUR MONEY is paying for folks.
[see above.]

call your Reps and ask them to get behind this and...DEFUND NOW
PBS, NPR,

PBS should broadcast commentary on the inanity that passes for political talk today.
The rightwing corporate tools on this board use those words constantly. And the commentary came from Mark Fiore's Animated Cartoon Site It is honest reporting even if exaggerated. We hear from the tea party - well we did.

Still havent seen a good argument why the government needs to fund any tv or radio station.

Because it is the right thing to do. Government funds many things that make society better, PBS is just one of them. Much of the infrastructure for radio and TV are government funded. Government is the people and should support all the people, not just the bomb makers.

"A new barbarism, illiteracy and impoverishment of language, new kinds of poverty, merciless remodeling of opinion by media, immiseration of the mind, obsolescence of the soul. Massified, standardizing modes, in every area of life, relentlessly re-enact the actual control program of modernity. Capitalism did not create our world; the machine did." Jean-François Lyotard

man you are a good Guberment tool

I can certainly understand why the right wingers hate NPR and CPB.

If I were a propagandist working on behalf of the GOP I'd be pissed that they exist, too.

I'm sure you'd be fine with taxpayers money going to Fox News, right? Because that is exactly what taxpayers money being used to fund blatantly left wing media is. I don't 'hate' NPR or CPB.... I just don't want to pay for your media. You pay for it. That's fine. But, unless you are prepared to fund blatant right wing media, there is no reason why we should pay for yours. Get it? You want it - you fund it.
Blatantly left wing media? Children's programming, Nova, American Experience, Masterpiece Theater, Antiques Roadshow, This Old House, Ken Burns documentaries. All threats to the American way of life and commerce?

You're going to have to 'splain this one to me as if I were six years old.

PBS consistently delivers when private media fails. The Learning Channel brings us Jon and Kate. The History Channel brings us episode after episode of folks driving trucks on the tundra or cutting trees in the Pacific northwest. The Discovery Channel gives us guys fishing for crabs in Alaska. Worthy of a show, but not 26 episodes a season.

Did I say they were 'threats' of any description? No. I said we shouldn't be funding them. You want them... fine, you fund them. Stop expecting everyone else to pay for your shit.

Libs don't seem to care about the fact that we have no business propping up any form of any kind of business.

none

This really is all about those mean ol' repubs being meanies.

It has nothing to do with curbing spending and reducing the debt. To them the only thing that is to be cut is defense. If it means Vets are put out, oh well, tuff shit. But if a reporter at NPR loses thier job, then, and only then is it a horror show.

Your hate for all things not liberal stains you.

We will save around 500 million by cutting this, but as long as we keep one Vet in the service that's a bad idea to you.

I'm sure you'd be fine with taxpayers money going to Fox News, right? Because that is exactly what taxpayers money being used to fund blatantly left wing media is. I don't 'hate' NPR or CPB.... I just don't want to pay for your media. You pay for it. That's fine. But, unless you are prepared to fund blatant right wing media, there is no reason why we should pay for yours. Get it? You want it - you fund it.
Blatantly left wing media? Children's programming, Nova, American Experience, Masterpiece Theater, Antiques Roadshow, This Old House, Ken Burns documentaries. All threats to the American way of life and commerce?

You're going to have to 'splain this one to me as if I were six years old.

PBS consistently delivers when private media fails. The Learning Channel brings us Jon and Kate. The History Channel brings us episode after episode of folks driving trucks on the tundra or cutting trees in the Pacific northwest. The Discovery Channel gives us guys fishing for crabs in Alaska. Worthy of a show, but not 26 episodes a season.

Did I say they were 'threats' of any description? No. I said we shouldn't be funding them. You want them... fine, you fund them. Stop expecting everyone else to pay for your shit.
You do understand that it's not "my shit". It's Public Broadcasting. Why the animosity? Why the divide? Just because you prefer to have your programming laden with commercials, geared down to the lowest IQ and completely void of educational value, why do you hate it so?

I would prefer to be enlightened, educated, informed and entertained all at once. Since you have a bone to pick with the concept of intelligent programming, why make the rest of us suffer the indignities of 'reality' programming? It's almost as if you are advocating the teaching of Genesis rather than science. Do you want all America to have the same stilted, retarded, simplistic outlook? I prefer a smarter society.

Libs don't seem to care about the fact that we have no business propping up any form of any kind of business.

none

This really is all about those mean ol' repubs being meanies.

It has nothing to do with curbing spending and reducing the debt. To them the only thing that is to be cut is defense. If it means Vets are put out, oh well, tuff shit. But if a reporter at NPR loses thier job, then, and only then is it a horror show.

Your hate for all things not liberal stains you.

We will save around 500 million by cutting this, but as long as we keep one Vet in the service that's a bad idea to you.
Where oh hwere has anyone but Conservatives ever advocated cutting Veteran's services? You're pulling hyperbole to make a cheap point. Hardly worthy of you, is it?

omg, so public broadcasting is making us a smarter society.?

good gawd, I've heard it all now. What the hell are PARENTS for these days?

We don't need indoctrinated programing T.V. to make us a Smarter Society folks.

get behind and request DEFUND DEFUND DEFUND.

Compare the programming. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers or Sesame Street. One sells Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, the other teaches kids to spell.

Compare the programming. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers or Sesame Street. One sells Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, the other teaches kids to spell.

oh brother, THE OTHER makes millions of dollars selling their spelling tools, their cute little Muppet's, etc etc and the taxpayer doesn't get one damn dime of it.
It PBS AND NPR are so smart and needed, they will figure out a way to survive without sucking off the TAXPAYERS.

Last edited:

oh brother, THE OTHER makes millions of dollars selling their spelling tools, their cute little Muppet's, etc etc and the taxpayer doesn't get one damn dime of it.
It PBS AND NPR are so smart and needed, they will figure out a way to survive without sucking off the TAXPAYERS.

yeah. the last thing tax payers should be funding is smarts.:cuckoo:

oh my, funny stuff.
Us taxpayers ALREADY fund smarts, it's called the Public Schools.

Last edited:

oh my, funny stuff.
You fund those with property tax dollars. And my kids can't attend your schools. Your kids can't attend mine.

But everybody's kids can learn from PBS. Unless it's gone. Then everybody's kids get the same pap and pablum offered by commercial television. The dumbing down of America provided by a coaxial cable.

oh my, funny stuff.
You fund those with property tax dollars. And my kids can't attend your schools. Your kids can't attend mine.

But everybody's kids can learn from PBS. Unless it's gone. Then everybody's kids get the same pap and pablum offered by commercial television. The dumbing down of America provided by a coaxial cable.

you don't like commercial television, don't buy a t.v. for you home.
simple nuff.

Personally, I'd like to line up Barney, Elmo, and all those other annoying characters up and shoot them all in the head.

Whenever the right wing in America tell you media is liberal, I shake my head and wonder who what when where how. Corporations own 'Big Media' in America and corporations are not liberal by any definition of the word. But then there is a smidgen of good broadcasting left and that I guess is the last remaining target of the right. Media that doesn't presnt the nonsense heard on right wing radio or Fox is the target today. No need for Big Brother when you control the message all the messages. [Amazon.com: What Orwell Didn't Know: Propaganda and the New Face of American Politics (9781586485603): Andras Szanto, Orville Schell: Books]

'House GOP Budget Takes Away All Federal Funding for Corporation for Public Broadcasting' by Huma Khan

"As the House prepares for debate today on the budget, Republicans are trying to cut off public funding for NPR and the Public Broadcasting Service, which run such iconic programs as "Sesame Street" and "Morning Edition."" As Budget Debates Begin, Republicans Put NPR, PBS on Chopping Block | Common Dreams

I wonder if Big Bird tastes more like chicken or duck. Whatever, he sure would make a fine Thanksgiving feast for all of the homeless people in town.

For the record, the government should not fund any news organization, period. There is no way, repeat no way, any organization that depends on government funding is either independent or unbiased. If NPR is half as good as you think it is it will only improve if it is defunded. If it dies, good riddance.

It is not like there are any unbiased news organizations around any longer.

Immie

oh my, funny stuff.

you don't like commercial television, don't buy a t.v. for you home.
simple nuff.
I prefer to watch Public Broadcasting. But I don't want to shut down commercial television. I just want the option for intelligence in television.

I prefer to listen to This American Life. But i don't want Limbaugh off the air. See how it works? If folks have a choice between smarts and stupid, the whole of society benefits.

Libs don't seem to care about the fact that we have no business propping up any form of any kind of business. That's not hyperbole

none

This really is all about those mean ol' repubs being meanies. That's not hyperbole

It has nothing to do with curbing spending and reducing the debt. To them the only thing that is to be cut is defense. tad of a stretch, I'm sure there's something else, I just never hear anything If it means Vets are put out, oh well, tuff shit. This is an absolute fact But if a reporter at NPR loses thier job, then, and only then is it a horror show. That's not hyperbole. A liberal cried about this 2 days ago.

Your hate for all things not liberal stains you. That's not hyperbole

We will save around 500 million by cutting this, but as long as we keep one Vet in the service that's a bad idea to you. That's not hyperbole
Where oh hwere has anyone but Conservatives ever advocated cutting Veteran's services? You're pulling hyperbole to make a cheap point. Hardly worthy of you, is it?

Look I was one of the Vets that got fucked by clinton. What he did was discrimination, blatant breaking of the law.

Not one liberal lifted a finger to help b/c he was cutting defense and you were getting your revenge.

And you fucks cry that npr and pbs will lose thier money.

pathetic

This isn't about deficits, PBS/NPR are very small potatoes when it comes to a percentage of the US Budget, PBS/NPR are targets of the right's culture war.
I can say that both of my daughters grew up watching PBS and their great educational programing for kids. I'm not saying PBS made them what they are today, it did give them a head start. My girls did great through out their education years, now highly successful both pull down six figures, not bad for someone in their twenties. Now their children watch PBS.
PBS, what a wonderful educational resource!

If it is so great then why can't it fund itself? I think that has been the point in these discussions.

NPR is slanted left as are CNN and MSNBC while Fox is slanted right. I for one think NPR/PBS are fine organizations and much of the programming is very good, (although, I hated Sesame Street when I was a kid because I was too old for it when it came out and I think it was on at the same time as Speed Racer and I had little brothers that mom insisted watch Sesame Street, my how we carry grudges :D ), but that does not mean that I think our government should sponsor it.

Immie

Forum List

Back