Republicans Incentivized Shipping Jobs And Profits Overseas. Democrats Aim To Undo The Damage

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
It's been a few years and we've been through one crisis after another, so I wouldn't be surprised if many folks—not Daily Kos readers of course, I mean other folks—have long forgotten the nonsense that was the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, colloquially referred to as the 2017 GOP (or Trump) tax scam.

The process of writing and passing that bill was a disaster from beginning to end because Republicans are bad at governing, even when they have all the power. People who actually care about this country were able to stall it for months—an incredible achievement considering we were living in a Republican hellscape at the time—but then, after adding some handwritten notes in the margin of a bill most of Congress hadn't even read, it was hastily passed in December 2017. And boy, have we been paying for it ever since.

Rather than jolting the economy as former House Speaker Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell/the Trump administration promised, the tax scam hurt American jobs. Harley-Davidson shut down a Missouri plant, leaving 800 employees out of work, and an Oklahoma energy company laid off 400 employees due to tax law changes. Declining tax revenues from the legislation precipitated a brutal 35-day government shutdown as Democrats attempted to negotiate with Republicans. From conception to implementation, the GOP tax scam was an absolute disaster for the United States.

Paul Ryan promised a tax cut for everybody, at all income levels, while also paying down the debt. I'm no economist, but I did survive Reaganomics (so far, anyway) and the math wasn't mathing. Don't take my very astute analysis for it: The Washington Post wrote the claim was "worthy of Four Pinocchios." And the Congressional Budget Office, the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Tax Policy Center, and many other actual economists agreed.

The 2017 GOP tax scam was a 10-year, $1.5 trillion windfall for the wealthy that, among other things, created huge incentives for corporations to export jobs and profits overseas. That’s a problem that Democrats now aim to fix with the No Tax Breaks for Outsourcing Act.

The American people want their jobs, and their money back. And we're going to take it back.

Daily Kooks, trying to re-write history...

spam_score_animated_gif.gif

It's been a few years and we've been through one crisis after another, so I wouldn't be surprised if many folks—not Daily Kos readers of course, I mean other folks—have long forgotten the nonsense that was the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, colloquially referred to as the 2017 GOP (or Trump) tax scam.

The process of writing and passing that bill was a disaster from beginning to end because Republicans are bad at governing, even when they have all the power. People who actually care about this country were able to stall it for months—an incredible achievement considering we were living in a Republican hellscape at the time—but then, after adding some handwritten notes in the margin of a bill most of Congress hadn't even read, it was hastily passed in December 2017. And boy, have we been paying for it ever since.

Rather than jolting the economy as former House Speaker Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell/the Trump administration promised, the tax scam hurt American jobs. Harley-Davidson shut down a Missouri plant, leaving 800 employees out of work, and an Oklahoma energy company laid off 400 employees due to tax law changes. Declining tax revenues from the legislation precipitated a brutal 35-day government shutdown as Democrats attempted to negotiate with Republicans. From conception to implementation, the GOP tax scam was an absolute disaster for the United States.

Paul Ryan promised a tax cut for everybody, at all income levels, while also paying down the debt. I'm no economist, but I did survive Reaganomics (so far, anyway) and the math wasn't mathing. Don't take my very astute analysis for it: The Washington Post wrote the claim was "worthy of Four Pinocchios." And the Congressional Budget Office, the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Tax Policy Center, and many other actual economists agreed.

The 2017 GOP tax scam was a 10-year, $1.5 trillion windfall for the wealthy that, among other things, created huge incentives for corporations to export jobs and profits overseas. That’s a problem that Democrats now aim to fix with the No Tax Breaks for Outsourcing Act.

The American people want their jobs, and their money back. And we're going to take it back.

Rather than jolting the economy as former House Speaker Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell/the Trump administration promised, the tax scam hurt American jobs. Harley-Davidson shut down a Missouri plant, leaving 800 employees out of work, and an Oklahoma energy company laid off 400 employees due to tax law changes.

Why does cutting the corporate rate from 35% to 21% incentivize corporations to ship jobs overseas?

Rather than jolting the economy as former House Speaker Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell/the Trump administration promised, the tax scam hurt American jobs. Harley-Davidson shut down a Missouri plant, leaving 800 employees out of work, and an Oklahoma energy company laid off 400 employees due to tax law changes.

Why does cutting the corporate rate from 35% to 21% incentivize corporations to ship jobs overseas?
REASONS! :laugh:

Here is the incentive from Democrats they don’t talk about. The US has higher taxes, regulations, and legal liability for domestic companies vs. foreign competitors. By shipping jobs overseas, US Companies are able to stay competitive and profitable. That’s an analysis not a justification. Anyone who knows anything about fundamental Breakeven Analysis and the impact Taxes, Regulations, and Liability has on Fixed Costs and Variable Costs can see that. I haven’t even mention arbitrary minimum wage mandates. NOTE: this is not an argument for ELIMINATING taxes, Regulations, and Liability but perhaps an argument for easement.

So Biden had total control for 2 years, and made it worse? Is that what you're stating?

How about coal jobs? You aren’t crying about those being lost.

now we know why the chinese have given the bidens so much money

Pushing eighty, I've noticed the economy better under Democrat rule. What's more is that Democrats have programs to help the poor and working class. Republicans work strictly for the very wealthy and corporations. I never hear about a republican pushing bills to help the workers and those in need. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Pushing eighty, I've noticed the economy better under Democrat rule. What's more is that Democrats have programs to help the poor and working class. Republicans work strictly for the very wealthy and corporations. I never hear about a republican pushing bills to help the workers and those in need. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Yep, Biden has done wonders, next time you go get gas or groceries, you can wonder how you're going to pay for it.

This was a reason given…

When Harley-Davidson first made the announcement, they blamed the need to close the plant on President Trump’s trade policies and soft sales. A tariff increase on motorcycles that Harley-Davidson sold in the European Union meant that Harley’s motorcycles would cost over $2,000 more per motorcycle in Europe, on every motorcycle made in America and sold in the Europe. This created a need to move production overseas

When is the last time dems cut middle class taxes?

This was a reason given…

When Harley-Davidson first made the announcement, they blamed the need to close the plant on President Trump’s trade policies and soft sales. A tariff increase on motorcycles that Harley-Davidson sold in the European Union meant that Harley’s motorcycles would cost over $2,000 more per motorcycle in Europe, on every motorcycle made in America and sold in the Europe. This created a need to move production overseas

Thanks, I knew the claim in the OP was beyond moronic.

Forum List

Back