Republicans Have A New Candidate This Morning

Juan de Fuca

Gold Member
May 24, 2016
This will likely go nowhere, yet there has to be a number of Republicans who would like to see an alternate besides Trump and the siphoning of those votes will hurt Trump's scampaign.

"Evan McMullin, a former CIA counterterrorism officer, will run for president as a third-party conservative alternative to Donald Trump, GOP operatives working to back the candidate told ABC News today.

The operatives working on McMullin's bid resigned from Better for America in order to work on his candidacy. The operatives from the group, a 501(c)(4) organization that cannot officially endorse or back McMullin's bid, has been working for months on trying to select a candidate and get on ballots throughout the country. In some states, like Texas, they will likely have to sue to get on the ballot. A 501(c)(4) is an issue-based nonprofit that can raise unlimited funds and does not have to disclose its donors.

It's an extreme uphill climb, but they are confident McMullin, 40, can act as a disruptor who they hope can peel off some red states in a race where some Republicans are still resistant to Donald Trump.

McMullin’s candidacy, backed by some Republicans, shows how the “Never Trump” movement is still working to upend Trump even with less than three months left until the general election. McMullin may be a long shot, but will have a legitimate organization behind him.

McMullin, who resigned this morning as chief policy director of the House Republican Conference, will file today and in a statement told ABC News exclusively:

“In a year where Americans have lost faith in the candidates of both major parties, it’s time for a generation of new leadership to step up. It’s never too late to do the right thing, and America deserves much better than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton can offer us. I humbly offer myself as a leader who can give millions of disaffected Americans a conservative choice for President.” Former CIA Officer to Launch Independent Presidential Bid

This will likely go nowhere, yet there has to be a number of Republicans who would like to see an alternate besides Trump and the siphoning of those votes will hurt Trump's scampaign.

"Evan McMullin, a former CIA counterterrorism officer, will run for president as a third-party conservative alternative to Donald Trump, GOP operatives working to back the candidate told ABC News today.

The operatives working on McMullin's bid resigned from Better for America in order to work on his candidacy. The operatives from the group, a 501(c)(4) organization that cannot officially endorse or back McMullin's bid, has been working for months on trying to select a candidate and get on ballots throughout the country. In some states, like Texas, they will likely have to sue to get on the ballot. A 501(c)(4) is an issue-based nonprofit that can raise unlimited funds and does not have to disclose its donors.

It's an extreme uphill climb, but they are confident McMullin, 40, can act as a disruptor who they hope can peel off some red states in a race where some Republicans are still resistant to Donald Trump.

McMullin’s candidacy, backed by some Republicans, shows how the “Never Trump” movement is still working to upend Trump even with less than three months left until the general election. McMullin may be a long shot, but will have a legitimate organization behind him.

McMullin, who resigned this morning as chief policy director of the House Republican Conference, will file today and in a statement told ABC News exclusively:

“In a year where Americans have lost faith in the candidates of both major parties, it’s time for a generation of new leadership to step up. It’s never too late to do the right thing, and America deserves much better than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton can offer us. I humbly offer myself as a leader who can give millions of disaffected Americans a conservative choice for President.” Former CIA Officer to Launch Independent Presidential Bid

Republicans against Trump should endorse Johnson and hope for the best...

Silly idea.

I’m not sure why the “never donald” losers didn’t just draft Cruz to run for them and run in Texas alone. If Drumpf doesn’t get Texas; he doesn’t win. Game over. Hillary doesn’t need it but he does.

He never endorsed Trump, spoke against him at the Convention, beat him in Texas by 1/2 million votes.

He would get the satisfaction of thwarting Trump. It’s clear the Party will never embrace him so what the hell; he’s not going to get the nomination next time anyway. He writes his name into the record books as (possibly) winning 38 EVs.

Just goes to show how desperate the Garbage white trash party is when they try to throw this skinhead/goon in the race who nobody knows:clap2:.

This weird looking freak looks like Putin's cousin..

He won't get on all the necessary Ballots, :deal:, and what little support he get's will screw the Orangutan:laugh:

Break out the :party:, it's been a blast so far watching the Goper TRAIN WRECK:laugh:

Latest polls out have Clinton leading in Georgia, North Carolina, and Arizona!!!, ahhhh can't wait for 11-8!!

Crazy things are happening in the GOP circus. A "Never Trump" candidate you cite, and I read a Vanity Fair article that says Paul Ryan's opponent in tomorrows election is sort of goofy, but Coulter and Malkin are campaigning for him. Who in heck is a cleaner candidate than Paul Ryan? Is this their crusade to punish him for his reluctance to endorse Trump?

Crazy things are happening in the GOP circus. A "Never Trump" candidate you cite, and I read a Vanity Fair article that says Paul Ryan's opponent in tomorrows election is sort of goofy, but Coulter and Malkin are campaigning for him. Who in heck is a cleaner candidate than Paul Ryan? Is this their crusade to punish him for his reluctance to endorse Trump?
Ryan is a ruling class water boy. There's nothing clean about that.

Ryan is a ruling class water boy. There's nothing clean about that.
If I lived in Wisconsin I think would vote for Ryan. Sure he wants to keep the party together, because it is stronger that way, just like collective bargaining works where the individual hasn't a chance. And he has to do some compromising to get the job done, but is in no way a 'water boy'. He's way more conservative than I like, especially as I favor unions, but he is also practical. Not that it matters, since I live out of his district.

So far I'm liking what I've seen. I just listened his TED and he clearly understands what's going on in foreign policy, he understands how to use the parties against each other to get things done. He opposes authoritarianism. And advocates for our rights. I'd have to see some more policy viewpoints and his views on the constitution and judges before any final decisions but the fact that he doesn't look evil and has never been bribed or paid a bribe makes him superior to most of the candidates so far.

And btw he doesn't have to get on the ballot in every state. He just needs enough ev to stop one of the others from winning outright and send the election to the House

After months and months of primaries etc.. We now just pull any Schub off the street to be president ?

Yeah, that will work .

The frantic publication of these stories indicate that the Democrats are very worried about Hillary's prospects in November.

After months and months of primaries etc.. We now just pull any Schub off the street to be president ?

Yeah, that will work .

I'd hardly call him a schlub but can anyone serious contend that a guy at random off the street wouldn't be a superior choice yo trump and Clinton?

So far I'm liking what I've seen. I just listened his TED and he clearly understands what's going on in foreign policy, he understands how to use the parties against each other to get things done. He opposes authoritarianism. And advocates for our rights. I'd have to see some more policy viewpoints and his views on the constitution and judges before any final decisions but the fact that he doesn't look evil and has never been bribed or paid a bribe makes him superior to most of the candidates so far.
Avatar, if you are talking Trump, I am your polar opposite. Foreign policy? If they say nice things about him, he will be their puppy. If they say unkind things about him, hide the nukes. As for using parties against each other...he sure does. His conquering strategy is to divide to get his way. Opposes authoritarianism? Are you kidding? Wouldn't that depend on who the authority is, as in himself? Advocates for our rights? Like unions at his businesses, or paying contractors, or eminent domain? Never been bribed? I don't know about bribed with money. But say he's great and you get your wish, a cheap bribe. Ask Putin. Never paid a bribe? Ask Bondi, or her accusers that are holding Trump Foundation check copies.

If I lived in Wisconsin I think would vote for Ryan. Sure he wants to keep the party together, because it is stronger that way, just like collective bargaining works where the individual hasn't a chance. And he has to do some compromising to get the job done, but is in no way a 'water boy'. He's way more conservative than I like, especially as I favor unions, but he is also practical. Not that it matters, since I live out of his district.
If I lived in Wisconsin, I'd be tempted to move to Janesville or Racine and help run that smarmy little twirp out of office.

He's Boehner without the tears.

Forum List

Back