Republicans apparently pushing to only allow voters

so the town where they reside 3/4's of the year, even if they live off campus, is not considered their residence?

the article is about IN STATE students, citizens of the State, that live in a different town than mom and dad due to going to college there for 4 years minimum.

I personally think they should be allowed to vote, in the town in which they live most of the time and if they register there...since this is where they will need gvt representation, as long as they are wiped off the voter roll in the town that mom and dad live in.

Following your logic, those of us who live outside the US, should not be allowed to vote at all. And that includes our deployed military... since we do not technically require government representation. :eusa_eh:

huh?

so the town where they reside 3/4's of the year, even if they live off campus, is not considered their residence?

the article is about IN STATE students, citizens of the State, that live in a different town than mom and dad due to going to college there for 4 years minimum.

I personally think they should be allowed to vote, in the town in which they live most of the time and if they register there...since this is where they will need gvt representation, as long as they are wiped off the voter roll in the town that mom and dad live in.

Following your logic, those of us who live outside the US, should not be allowed to vote at all. And that includes our deployed military... since we do not technically require government representation. :eusa_eh:

huh?

Well, if you should vote where you CURRENTLY are, then those of us who live outside at the time of the election, shouldn't vote at all. :(

you didn't live there, in your school's town, 9 months of the year and only 3 months at your parent's house, where i presume is where you called 'home'?

Did you commute back and forth from your parent's house?

It just seems to me, that one should be voting in the area that they live most of the year? After all, this IS the area where one would need representation, that affects them, no???
they should vote where their legal residence is

what's the definition of 'legal residence'?

That's set by the individual state. If they want to vote in their college town they can legally change their residency according to the laws of that state. Tuition and tax liabilities are also set by residency with conditions and limitations.

I honestly don't see the problem here.

When college students fill out a census form, they RESIDE where they are currently living...even if it is a dorm. The city benefits by counting the students as residents.

But according to this group of Republicans, college students foolishly vote their feelings and have no life experience.

Something you could probably say about the majority of Republicans, btw.

When college students fill out a census form, they RESIDE where they are currently living...even if it is a dorm. The city benefits by counting the students as residents.

But according to this group of Republicans, college students foolishly vote their feelings and have no life experience.

That's not necessarily true. The Census form my nephews filled out listed their primary residence as their parents' homes. That's where they received their absentee ballots to vote in those precincts also.

That's not necessarily true. The Census form my nephews filled out listed their primary residence as their parents' homes. That's where they received their absentee ballots to vote in those precincts also.
Your nephew apparently didn't read the directions.

You mean not be allowed to vote where they dont have a permenant residence?

Requiring people to vote where they actually live is very offensive to Democrats isn't it?

So, deployed military?

They call em absent ballots. Which is probably how the College kids should be voting as well. You cast your vote where your legal residence is, not just anywhere. So that you are voting on the correct local issues, and not the issues of the area where you happen to go to school temporarily.

Pretty simple concept CM. You get it. I get it. Apparantly its a little over the heads of some on this board.

Jeeze. You vote where you reside. If your in school you use an absentee ballot just like the militay does. Of course that take a little effort so I'm sure most college kids won't go to all that trouble to vote. After all. Its only voting.

ID's should be shown before you vote. Nothing wrong with that at all. Might cut down on that pesky voter fraud.

One bill would permit students to vote in their college towns only if they or their parents had previously established permanent residency there - requiring all others to vote in the states or other New Hampshire towns they come from.

If you are 18 and an adult, what does your parents residency have to do with anything?

If the college kid lives there year round and is not a dependent he should be able to claim the college town as his residence.

One bill would permit students to vote in their college towns only if they or their parents had previously established permanent residency there - requiring all others to vote in the states or other New Hampshire towns they come from.

If you are 18 and an adult, what does your parents residency have to do with anything?

If the college kid lives there year round and is not a dependent he should be able to claim the college town as his residence.

I agree. However, that's not how other aspects of government handle it. Grants, loans, and health insurance all assume that college aged students receive assistance from their parents. There is a separate process to be considered an independent adult.

The strange thing is that Gainesville, FL Democrats wanted similar constraints written into legislation to stop all the "right wing carpetbaggers" from mucking with their good ole' boys club.

that vote for them!

Amazing...here they want to disallow students from voting...jeesh, I remember being proud that I was finally "allowed" to vote.

In states, parties clash over voting laws that call for IDs, limits on where college students can cast ballots

Elsewhere I've seen calls to only allow property owners to vote.... Who should get to vote to raise property tax?

wtf is wrong with Republicans? That's a long list, almost as long as the democrates list.

Most of that seems mundane.
No registration the day you vote. Having a photo ID. That's just what other states do. It's not like they are forcing them to pass a test.

the rant about how college kids vote seems more of a rant than "Lets raise the voting age!!"

Doubt it will go anywhere.

Depends on where they claim residence. To claim you live somewhere you have to be all there all the time, not just renting during the school year then go home to mommy and daddy.

Besides, an absentee vote can be sent in. This is not some kinda hardship.

I agree with your last statement.

If the kid is independent and wants to claim the college town as his residence then I think he should be able register in that town and vote.

I still think the ID is a good idea.

Last edited:
Well, judging from what I read here from some of the enlightened college crowd.. they are pretty dumb.

Personally, I think you should be a gainfully employed taxpayer to vote. And Obama likes to say... have some "skin" in the game. Not just some maggot infested pothead college dweeb.

that vote for them!

Amazing...here they want to disallow students from voting...jeesh, I remember being proud that I was finally "allowed" to vote.

In states, parties clash over voting laws that call for IDs, limits on where college students can cast ballots

Elsewhere I've seen calls to only allow property owners to vote....

wtf is wrong with Republicans?

WTF is wrong with you? How is is this any different than the Democrats total success in eliminating the right to vote in Washington state? Do you really think that rural voters who view going to the polls as a chance to socialize are going to mail in votes for Democrats? What is to prevent the loss of votes from communities that vote Republican?

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/03/04/1570778/wa-senate-passes-statewide-mail.html

By the way, why is it wrong to require that people prove they are who they claim to be when they vote? Can I claim to be you and cash your check without ID? That would be only fair, given your opposition to voter ID.

Last edited:
Why would stupid college kids, who have to produce an ID for just about everything they do, protest having to produce an ID to vote? Do they even understand that they only get to vote one time?

the college kids are not going to be allowed to vote there even WITH an ID. Good reading comprehension there

I have a question for you.

Since this is primarily aimed at college students who attend school in New Hampshire, something I got from reading the article, and you seem to be opposed to it on some grounds, can you explain to me what will stop a student from NY from voting in the election in his home state, and also registering to vote in the election in NH on election day. Did the concept of one person, one vote, get tossed out when the Democrats came to power?

Another thing you might consider, since college towns often have more students than residents, it is actually possible for the students to get together, vote for something that would increase property taxes because it benefits them, and never have to pay for it because they do not own property. Do you think that is right?

Would you like it if I got a bunch of Republicans on a train and shipped them around the country to vote in elections where they did not lived? Would you start insisting that only people that lived in a community should have a right to vote in that community? Because nothing in current law would prevent me from doing that, and nothing in the proposed law would actually prevent those students from voting if they want to. They can always register to vote in the own community, and then mail in the ballots.

the college kids are not going to be allowed to vote there even WITH an ID. Good reading comprehension there

You mean not be allowed to vote where they dont have a permenant residence?

Requiring people to vote where they actually live is very offensive to Democrats isn't it?

So, deployed military?

They usually vote in their home towns. In fact, federal law requires that mail in ballots are shipped out early enough to allow deployed military to vote.

Next question?

Residence determines where one can vote. Unless they want to take up residence in the State they are going to college in then they should have to follow the same rules everyone else follows.

If you are in a given state for more than half the year, is that not moreso your state of residence than the state you live in for only a couple months of the year?

Nope. Most states will charge you oput of state tuition even if you go to school there for 8 years unless you went to high school in that state. I maintained residency in Texas for years, and was never there more than a couple of weeks at a time. Never voted anywhere but Texas that entire time.

I've found that life experience can only affect logical people by making them more liberal

'If you are not a liberal at 20, you have no heart. If you are not Conservative by 40, you have no brain'.

Winston Churchill.

you didn't live there, in your school's town, 9 months of the year and only 3 months at your parent's house, where i presume is where you called 'home'?

Did you commute back and forth from your parent's house?

It just seems to me, that one should be voting in the area that they live most of the year? After all, this IS the area where one would need representation, that affects them, no???
they should vote where their legal residence is

what's the definition of 'legal residence'?

I will give you a hint. You are not a legal resident of a state simply because you go to school there. As a student your legal residency is generally that of your parents.

that vote for them!

Elsewhere I've seen calls to only allow property owners to vote....

wtf is wrong with Republicans?

Did you ask these questions when Republicans and Tea Partiers were denied entrance to DemonRat townhall meetings. No,, I don't think so.

Forum List

Back