Republican Senator wants a 7 day work week

some people are on welfare 7 days a week 365 a year and they arent complaining.

"...Interesting. I guess all the business owners are Republicans and the worker bees are all Democrats. I can name some billionaire business owners that are Democrats, and they didn't get there working a 40 hour week. In fact, the biggest asshole I ever worked for was a New York Democrat!"
I was dealing in stereotypes, and you know that just as well as I do.

Frankly, I think that both Democrats AND Republicans are full of shit clean up to their ears; flip sides of the same, sick special-interests coin, and that neither party is representative of the American mainstream any longer.

It's just that - insofar as the Common Man is concerned - the GOP has been on the outside, looking in, for much longer. The Dems held out longer before they sold out too.

Living in the Chicago area (albeit 25-30 miles beyond the city limits), I can tell you that I've grown up on the legends of the corrupt Chicago Democratic Machine and its long-armed influence reaching all the way down to Springfield - our State capital here in Illinois.

But stereotypical perceptions are important in matters of political power, aren't they?

How a party acquires and sustains a given stereotype is always a matter of concern.

And, once acquired on a broad, national scale, it's damned hard to shake an unfavorable one.

The Dummies are every bit as full of shit and every bit as corrupt and every bit as in-bed with business and special interests as the Pugs are.

It's just that the Pugs have suffered from that perception far longer.

You know the truth of that as well as I do, don't you?
wink_smile.gif

What this law of prohibition does is hurt employees who want to trade days off. Someone who really needs extra time off might (if left alone) make a private agreement with a coworker to work for them in exchange for that person working on a day off. Employees have used this for years as a way to stay home with a sick child, take extra vacation time, or when out of town family arrives.

The state knows what your needs for time off are better than you do.

Actually, he's advocating for choice, i.e., freedom.

Seriously, is that what you believe?

"It's a very hard thing to know whether something is truly voluntary or not," he explained. "If the employer puts pressure on people and lets them know they will be unhappy if workers exercise their right to have a day off, that might be enough so that no worker ever does anything but volunteer to work seven days a week."

"To do the bidding of their corporate donors, is restoration of indentured servitude coming next from the Walker Republicans?"

Grothman has argued in the past that government employees should have to work on MLK Day. He has taken a significant amount of heat from progressives for sponsoring other bills as well, including one repealing the state's Equal Pay Enforcement Act and another that would have considered single parenthood "a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect."

I already work 7 days a week between my two jobs.. If it were for the mandatory Overtime laws, I would be able to work 7 days a week at one job and actually get more sleep and make more money than what I am making now.

You work 7 days a week between your TWO jobs?

Me? I would work 7 days a week (in some cases for up to 3 weeks) while deployed onboard a U.S. Navy vessel at my ONE job.

And yeah...................you can be called up at any moment to come back to the ship, but the military says that you get 30 days off per year in the form of leave. That works out to 1 day off out of every 12 (30 days equals 1 month, there are 12 months in a year).

And......................fwiw..................you CANNOT receive overtime in the military.

Matter of fact, when I went on what is called retirement leave (I'd saved up 72 days and took the last 2 1/2 months of my enlistment off in leave), I was even called back to help out because of something that had occurred at the MEPS (the last classifier we had tried to commit suicide). I told my command that even though I understood they were in a bad situation, so was I, because I'd already sold back 60 days prior to going on leave (you can only sell back 60 days/career in the military), and there was no way I could get paid for the time I'd end up investing.

Well.......................we finally came upon a deal...................I could show up in civilian clothes to classify the applicants, got to show up around 10:00 am, and would leave as soon as the last applicant was classified, and would only show up for the next 3 days, because I already had things planned that I wanted to do.

3 days later, NRD San Antonio sent up a classifier, I wore civilian clothes, didn't have to shave the goatee I was growing, and only had to be there for around 4 hours per day.

No................having to work 7 days per week is a bad idea, and if that GOP idiot thinks it's a good one, then why has Congress and the Senate only worked about 1 out of every 3 days in 2013?

If he wants everyone to be able to work 7 days a week, maybe he should prove his leadership as a politician and start working that much himself.

The military doesn't bitch about it, I never did, so why should politicians be different?

I already work 7 days a week between my two jobs.. If it were for the mandatory Overtime laws, I would be able to work 7 days a week at one job and actually get more sleep and make more money than what I am making now.

Me? I would work 7 days a week (in some cases for up to 3 weeks) while deployed onboard a U.S. Navy vessel at my ONE job.

And yeah...................you can be called up at any moment to come back to the ship, but the military says that you get 30 days off per year in the form of leave. That works out to 1 day off out of every 12 (30 days equals 1 month, there are 12 months in a year).

And......................fwiw..................you CANNOT receive overtime in the military.

Matter of fact, when I went on what is called retirement leave (I'd saved up 72 days and took the last 2 1/2 months of my enlistment off in leave), I was even called back to help out because of something that had occurred at the MEPS (the last classifier we had tried to commit suicide). I told my command that even though I understood they were in a bad situation, so was I, because I'd already sold back 60 days prior to going on leave (you can only sell back 60 days/career in the military), and there was no way I could get paid for the time I'd end up investing.

Well.......................we finally came upon a deal...................I could show up in civilian clothes to classify the applicants, got to show up around 10:00 am, and would leave as soon as the last applicant was classified, and would only show up for the next 3 days, because I already had things planned that I wanted to do.

3 days later, NRD San Antonio sent up a classifier, I wore civilian clothes, didn't have to shave the goatee I was growing, and only had to be there for around 4 hours per day.

No................having to work 7 days per week is a bad idea, and if that GOP idiot thinks it's a good one, then why has Congress and the Senate only worked about 1 out of every 3 days in 2013?

If he wants everyone to be able to work 7 days a week, maybe he should prove his leadership as a politician and start working that much himself.

The military doesn't bitch about it, I never did, so why should politicians be different?

Wow you're so special. All that work and all the free gay sex you'd want.
So you support the move in WI to eliminate mandatory weekend breaks, right?

Nice..................

You've got no reply, so you decide to go with the stereotypes that you think would piss me off.

Sorry.................not gonna bite.

I support a 40 hour week for those in the civilian sector, with the caveat (meaning exception) that if they work more than 40 hours, they should be paid time and a half for their efforts.

I mean....................c'mon you corporate types, it's only 16 hours over what they normally do (and yes, for those who work 60 to 80 plus hours a week, anything over 40 should be paid as time and a half for you as well).

I also believe that the minimum wage should be at least 10.00/hour, if not 15.

Why? Simple.................if you pay someone a bit more than what they budgeted for (i.e. 7.50 versus 10.00 or 15.00 per hour), they have more money to do things with rather than pay rent and groceries.

They may have enough money to go to the movies (which cost around 15.00/person), or even may have enough to check out that new food place that just opened up.

If more people have more money, they can buy more things and help with the economy.

I mean..................if you don't believe that, then check out what Ford paid his workers.

He not only wanted them to live, but he wanted them to have enough money to buy his cars.

The GOP lies quite a bit about minimum wage.

Nice..................

You've got no reply, so you decide to go with the stereotypes that you think would piss me off.

I support a 40 hour week for those in the civilian sector, with the caveat (meaning exception) that if they work more than 40 hours, they should be paid time and a half for their efforts.

I mean....................c'mon you corporate types, it's only 16 hours over what they normally do (and yes, for those who work 60 to 80 plus hours a week, anything over 40 should be paid as time and a half for you as well).

Why? Simple.................if you pay someone a bit more than what they budgeted for (i.e. 7.50 versus 10.00 or 15.00 per hour), they have more money to do things with rather than pay rent and groceries.

They may have enough money to go to the movies (which cost around 15.00/person), or even may have enough to check out that new food place that just opened up.

If more people have more money, they can buy more things and help with the economy.

I mean..................if you don't believe that, then check out what Ford paid his workers.

He not only wanted them to live, but he wanted them to have enough money to buy his cars.

If the minimum wage was raised, those earning it could pay more Social Security, Medicare, Federal and State income taxes since they are all indexed to a percent of wages. There go the movie tickets down the drain and the prices at that new food place where they get the new minimum wage went up and is still out of their price range.

Of course, those elderly trying to get by on a fixed income will see prices go up.

Have you ever heard of unintended consequences?

Last edited:

You would have looked less foolish if you'd simply conceded defeat.

Nice..................

You never answered the question, numbnuts.

Forum List

Back