Republican officials in some states to cancel presidential primary elections

Do any of you trump supporters have a problem with this?

Republican 2020 primary: State parties move to nix contests in show of support for Trump - CNNPolitics

"Republican officials in multiple states are on the verge of canceling their 2020 presidential primary elections in a show of support for President Donald Trump, even as some GOP candidates plan to challenge him.

Party leaders in South Carolina, Nevada and Arizona have all expressed support for nixing their presidential primaries, and are expected to make it official over the coming weeks."
/—-/No, because democRATs did the same thing when Obozo ran for re-election. It’s a smart thing for both parties.

Did the Democrats hold primaries in 2012 so that other Democrats could challenge the President?

Of course they did. But Republicans are not Democrats and can't be held to that standard. They can choose their candidate in what ever way they want.

Did they? According to this CNN article, in at least South Carolina, they did not. Republican 2020 primary: State parties move to nix contests in show of support for Trump - CNNPolitics

From that article:
"In South Carolina, a key early primary state, Republicans decided to nix their presidential primaries in 1984 and 2004, when Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush were up for their second terms; while state Democrats skipped their contests in 1996 and 2012, with Bill Clinton and Barack Obama running for reelection, respectively."

:dunno:

The difference is that there weren't any challengers those years.

When there's a challenger there's a primary.

Why are the republicans so scared to have a primary in those states?
why does it matter?

Nobama an bush did it too. Research it.
ummm, no, but thanks for playing
2012 Democratic Party presidential primaries - Wikipedia

Based on that Wiki, 4 states cancelled their primaries in 2012: Virginia, Connecticut, New York, and Delaware. Look at the vote counts in each state and the # footnote.
yah, cause Obama was the only candidate who qualified for the four primaries. LOL

Just stop. You are just embarrassing yourself with this stupid comparison that is actually a "contrast." Both parties have engaged in nominations and delegate contests with sitting presidents.

That still means that those 4 states did not hold primaries. In addition, as I posted earlier, CNN had an article about this which stated that South Carolina did not hold primaries for Republicans for Reagan and Bush's second terms, and for Democrats for Clinton's and Obama's second terms.

To give another link regarding that Obama primary in 2012: South Carolina Results - Primaries - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

According to that "The South Carolina Democratic Party canceled the primary contest scheduled for January 28, 2012, and instead held "precinct reorganization meetings" where President Obama won all the delegates." I don't know what a precinct reorganization meeting is about or why it was changed to that.

Now, Obama and Bush didn't stop the primaries, but they apparently were cancelled during both of their re-election campaigns, for whatever reasons.

I never claimed that neither party engaged in primaries during re-election campaigns. I didn't even claim cancelling primaries was a common occurrence. I merely pointed out that both parties have cancelled primaries in certain states during re-election campaigns, which is true. I'd like to see Trump in a debate with Weld; I thought Weld would have been better as the top of the Libertarian ticket last presidential election rather than Johnson. It seems exceedingly unlikely to me that Weld would have any chance of taking the Republican nomination, however. That's just not the way party politics generally work in the US. I don't think it's happened that a sitting president lost his party's primary since the 19th century.

Forum List

Back