Republican Morality

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Why do republicans hate the poor but love the rich?

"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." Proverbs 21:13

What can one make of the statements below?

"If you're low-income...in many states you can qualify for Medicaid, you can qualify for food stamps, you can qualify for housing assistance, [even] if you're in poverty...That is not a healthy thing for children, it's not a healthy thing for society...Suffering, if you're a Christian, suffering is a part of life. And it's not a bad thing, it is an essential thing in life...There are all different ways to suffer. One way to suffer is through lack of food and shelter and there's another way to suffer which is lack of dignity and hope." Rick

"Really poor children in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works. So they literally have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day. They have no habit of 'I do this and you give me cash,' unless it's illegal." ¶ "You have a very poor neighborhood. You have kids who are required under law to go to school. They have no money. They have no habit of work. What if you paid them part-time in the afternoon to sit at the clerical office and greet people when they came in? What if you paid them to work as the assistant librarian? And I'd pay them as early as is reasonable and practical. ¶ "I am prepared to find something that works, that breaks us out of the cycles we're involved in right now, and finding a way for poor children to learn how to work and learning how to have money that they've earned honestly is an integral part of that." Newt

Note to Rick and Newt's mom, Mrs Mom you raised an awful child.

Who was it that said the past is never past. They missed Newt.

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Matthew 6:24

LOL, what a dishonest twist.

Is it better to give someone a job and skills to make it on there own? Let them hold their own destiny in there hands?

Or is it better to keep a person in a cycle of minimum handouts that amounts to scraps off the table and encourage them not to break the cycles!

Dimocrats want to keep the poor and minorities on welfare programs and punish them if they leave. Keep them in a state of accepting crumble off the table and then they rely on it. It becomes such a crutch that the dependency leads to control.

It's a system that will eventually break. See what is happening in Europe with the welfare state!

"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." Proverbs 21:13

"If you're low-income...in many states you can qualify for Medicaid, you can qualify for food stamps, you can qualify for housing assistance, [even] if you're in poverty...That is not a healthy thing for children, it's not a healthy thing for society...Suffering, if you're a Christian, suffering is a part of life. And it's not a bad thing, it is an essential thing in life...There are all different ways to suffer. One way to suffer is through lack of food and shelter and there's another way to suffer which is lack of dignity and hope." Rick

"Really poor children in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works. So they literally have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day. They have no habit of 'I do this and you give me cash,' unless it's illegal." ¶ "You have a very poor neighborhood. You have kids who are required under law to go to school. They have no money. They have no habit of work. What if you paid them part-time in the afternoon to sit at the clerical office and greet people when they came in? What if you paid them to work as the assistant librarian? And I'd pay them as early as is reasonable and practical. ¶ "I am prepared to find something that works, that breaks us out of the cycles we're involved in right now, and finding a way for poor children to learn how to work and learning how to have money that they've earned honestly is an integral part of that." Newt

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Matthew 6:24

What would happen to this society if there were no rich people ?

Why do you stereotype republicans as not caring about the poor ?

Why do we put so much faith in politicians ?

wow... where do I begin?

How do you presume to speak concerning the morals of a largue hetrogeneous group that doesn't have a shared morality while whitewashing them all as the same. Seems very dishonest to me.

Second, both of those statements are statements of compassion toward the poor. How on earth do you reach the conclusion that they hate the poor because they want them to have dignity and be able to obtain work and provide for themselves like everyone else? Since when is it a sign of hatred when you want people to succeed?

I am no supporter of Rick Santorum, but I do agree with the problem of developing lack of hope in impoverished communities. Once you lose hope of a better life, of improving yourself or even just in the case of surviving, then the end for you is near. There just no such thing as Help for the Hopeless..

For Newt, I agree with the concept of breaking the cycle of poverty and the anti-social behavior it instills in people. But how he describes the poor and impoverished as "not having a habit of work" sounds a bit --out of touch to me. Considering that Newt is a fellow Georgian makes it even more troublesome to me.

When someone, anyone, can show me something republicans have done for America that is good for America, I'll stop picking on them. Preaching and engaging in stereotypes and just plain stupid talk doesn't count.

As an addendum I could add why do other republicans (above) apologize for statements that are mean spirited, wrong, and code for the neanderthals among us?

This is about the working poor, it is about real people who work everyday, it is not about the image in the right wing mind of the Cadillac mom - a made up myth by the way. People born into privilege lead lives that today exist in a place the working poor can only dream about. http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...h-should-not-be-taxed-more-7.html#post4391251

Our nation would be fine without the rich. The assumption that the rich create jobs is easily disputed today as we have more rich than ever and less jobs. Sometimes money and wealth are created, not through positive acts for the society that supports their endeavors, but by acts such as outsourcing and tax loopholes that are not positive.

The Empathy Ceiling: The Rich Are Different

What Should a Billionaire Give – and What Should You?, by Peter Singer

“We have now done 12 separate studies measuring empathy in every way imaginable, social behavior in every way, and some work on compassion and it’s the same story,” he said. “Lower class people just show more empathy, more prosocial behavior, more compassion, no matter how you look at it.”

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/08/10-7

Because the rich gloss over the ways family connections, money and education helped, they come to denigrate the role of government and vigorously oppose taxes to fund it.

“I will quote from the Tea Party hero Ayn Rand: “‘It is the morality of altruism that men have to reject,’” he said.

In one test, for example, Keltner and other colleagues had 115 people play the “dictator game,” a standard trial of economic behavior. “Dictators” were paired with an unseen partner, given ten “points” that represented money, and told they could share as many or as few of the points with the partner as they desired. Lower-class participants gave more even after controlling for gender, age or ethnicity.

Keltner has also studied vagus nerve activation. The vagus nerve helps the brain record and respond to emotional inputs. When subjects are exposed to pictures of starving children, for example, their vagus nerve typically becomes more active as measured by electrodes on their chests and a sensor band around their waists. In recent tests, yet to be published, Keltner has found that those from lower-class backgrounds have more intense activation.

When someone, anyone, can show me something republicans have done for America that is good for America, I'll stop picking on them. Preaching and engaging in stereotypes and just plain stupid talk doesn't count.

So we should just ignore your entire original post?

Looking to the wealthy as your paragon of virtue has been crushed by sceince

When someone, anyone, can show me something republicans have done for America that is good for America, I'll stop picking on them.

Oh so i assume you think blacks should still be slaves, huh?

If his position is internally consistant, then clearly he does. He must also believe in segregation and hate civil rights.

But my guess is the position is not internally consistant.

Your party coddles the wealthy and worships them.

They are morally lacking and this has been proven by study after study.

Could you point to any services where we worship the wealthy?

Or even coddle them? If you mean we don't want to burden them obessively like you do and rob them blind, then thats correct, but we dont want to burden ANYONE or rob ANYONE.

And I highly doubt you have study after study supporting your position.

the Job creators.

Tell me one thing the right has fought for that doesnt weigh heavily in the wealthys direction?

Hmmmmm.......

"We liberals are personally stingy.

Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times
Nicholas D. Kristof

Liberals show tremendous compassion in pushing for generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad. Yet when it comes to individual contributions to charitable causes, liberals are cheapskates.

Arthur Brooks, the author of a book on donors to charity, “Who Really Cares,” cites data that households headed by conservatives give 30 percent more to charity than households headed by liberals. A study by Google found an even greater disproportion: average annual contributions reported by conservatives were almost double those of liberals.

Other research has reached similar conclusions. The “generosity index” from the Catalogue for Philanthropy typically finds that red states are the most likely to give to nonprofits, while Northeastern states are least likely to do so.

The upshot is that Democrats, who speak passionately about the hungry and homeless, personally fork over less money to charity than Republicans...
"

"Conservatives also appear to be more generous than liberals in nonfinancial ways. People in red states are considerably more likely to volunteer for good causes, and conservatives give blood more often. If liberals and moderates gave blood as often as conservatives, Mr. Brooks said, the American blood supply would increase by 45 percent."

Op-Ed Columnist - Bleeding Heart Tightwads - NYTimes.com

Charity's Political Divide, Republicans give a bigger share to charity (Democrats Don't)

Dataset of the Day: Who is more Generous? Republicans or Democrats? | GeoIQ Blog

Forum List

Back