Republican economic wisdom

I've spent a good deal of time here hammering the Republicans for their incompetence governing, but I'm going to give them a pass on this one, at least all but the last quote in October.

As odd as it may seem, there is some merit in downplaying or even denying an economic contraction until it becomes very clear since the economy is at least partially dependent on confidence. If the leadership were to start talking about how awful things are, they can begin or perpetuate a self-reinforcing spiral. So I would expect leadership to accentuate the positive.

In this respect, Obama hammering the banks and Wall Street does no good, even if he is correct.
That's a good point, except in Bush's case it didn't work. Perhaps it depends on how bad things really are...you get to a point where things can only go up, or maybe it depends on which boogeyman you are blaming things on.

I've spent a good deal of time here hammering the Republicans for their incompetence governing, but I'm going to give them a pass on this one, at least all but the last quote in October.

As odd as it may seem, there is some merit in downplaying or even denying an economic contraction until it becomes very clear since the economy is at least partially dependent on confidence. If the leadership were to start talking about how awful things are, they can begin or perpetuate a self-reinforcing spiral. So I would expect leadership to accentuate the positive.

In this respect, Obama hammering the banks and Wall Street does no good, even if he is correct.
That's a good point, except in Bush's case it didn't work. Perhaps it depends on how bad things really are...you get to a point where things can only go up, or maybe it depends on which boogeyman you are blaming things on.

This is a confusing post. Could you clarify what you meant?

Until the final figures come out four the third quarter in mid November whether or not we are in a recession is a matter of opinion. Until then the necessary 2 quarters are not a done deal. That's why NBER doesn't call a recession untill well after one has started. And it is usual quite late in announcing that they are over as well. It takes time to acquire all the necessary data. And given that there is usually a fairly significant psycological component to an economic recession any incumbent party is going to talk up the economy at every opportunity. In fact I'm suprised it took Obama as long as it did to put on the rose colered glasses.

- “We don’t believe we’re going to have a recession though.” [Vice President Dick Cheney, 1/30/08]
- “I think the experts will tell you we’re not in a recession.” [President Bush, 2/10/08]
- “The answer is, I don’t think we are in a recession right now.” [Council of Economic Advisers Chairman Edward Lazear, 2/11/08]
– “First of all, we’re not in a recession.” [President Bush, 4/22/08]
– “The data are pretty clear that we are not in a recession.” [Council of Economic Advisers Chairman Edward Lazear, 5/7/08]
- “I don’t think we are” in a recession. [Director of the National Economic Council Keith Hennesy, 6/3/08]
– “I think we have avoided a recession.” [White House Budget Director Jim Nussle, 7/31/08]
– “I don’t think anybody could tell you right now if we’re in a recession or not” [Dana Perino, 10/7/08]

Think Progress » For Nearly A Year After Recession Started, Bush White House Insisted That ‘We’re Not In A Recession’

Good post. Neoconservatives should be tried as Traitors of the United States and sentenced to live in North Korea. They are solely to blame for allowing Obama, Biden, Reid and Pelosi to come to power. God help us all.

- “We don’t believe we’re going to have a recession though.” [Vice President Dick Cheney, 1/30/08]
- “I think the experts will tell you we’re not in a recession.” [President Bush, 2/10/08]
- “The answer is, I don’t think we are in a recession right now.” [Council of Economic Advisers Chairman Edward Lazear, 2/11/08]
– “The data are pretty clear that we are not in a recession.” [Council of Economic Advisers Chairman Edward Lazear, 5/7/08]
- “I don’t think we are” in a recession. [Director of the National Economic Council Keith Hennesy, 6/3/08]
– “I think we have avoided a recession.” [White House Budget Director Jim Nussle, 7/31/08]
– “I don’t think anybody could tell you right now if we’re in a recession or not” [Dana Perino, 10/7/08]

Think Progress » For Nearly A Year After Recession Started, Bush White House Insisted That ‘We’re Not In A Recession’

Good post. Neoconservatives should be tried as Traitors of the United States and sentenced to live in North Korea. They are solely to blame for allowing Obama, Biden, Reid and Pelosi to come to power. God help us all.
hey, it started 11 months after the dems took control of congress

:eusa_whistle:

lol...against my better judgment, I like you xhead...but your calling people traitors because they think differently than you do makes me want to reconsider.

There is no doubt that the economic collapse started after the Democrats assumed control of Congress, but the Neocons made it all possible for them to seize power in the first place.

There is no doubt that the economic collapse started after the Democrats assumed control of Congress, but the Neocons made it all possible for them to seize power in the first place.
i dont disagree with you
republicans acting the same as democrats were just as bad

lol...against my better judgment, I like you xhead...but your calling people traitors because they think differently than you do makes me want to reconsider.

I don't require you to like me. If you don't want me to call people like Bush and Cheney traitors, I apologize but I can't do that.

Then you understand nothing. They didn't make it possible. What made it possible was a steady 8 year drum beat of leftist swine masquerading as journalists bad mouthing the Republicans and GW Bush at every turn and the economy when they weren't bad mouthing Bush.

Then you understand nothing. They didn't make it possible. What made it possible was a steady 8 year drum beat of leftist swine masquerading as journalists bad mouthing the Republicans and GW Bush at every turn and the economy when they weren't bad mouthing Bush.
i have to disagree
the only difference was they pandered to a different set of special interest groups
and now the dems are doing the very same shit that got us in the mess but the lib faithful are cheering it

So what did GW Bush do wrong? Anything? And how did Leftists like Pelosi, Reid, Obama and Biden come to power? Was that all the media's doing?

SWEET OUT OF CONTEXT QUOTES DESIGNED TO ADVANCE A FALLACIOUS POINT.

Would Rav, would you point out the two consequitive qrtrs where the economy realized negative growth which preceded these quotes? And sadly, 'adjusted data' is not a valid source as it was not available...

I would finish this farce off, but the sites slowin' down so...

So what did GW Bush do wrong? Anything? And how did Leftists like Pelosi, Reid, Obama and Biden come to power? Was that all the media's doing?

Its the result of Millions of mindless drones entering polling facilities to cast there vote for a "Who has the best smile?" contest.

Its the result of Millions of mindless drones entering polling facilities to cast there vote for a "Who has the best smile?" contest.

:lol:

View attachment $ObamaZombie.bmp

Spent like a drunken sailor on social programs that have and will continue to cost this country far more than the war in Iraq ever will. That's what Bush did wrong but as bad as that was we might have been okay of the left hadn't essentially talked the ecponomy to death over the last 8 years. Especially had the economy continued to grow at the pace it grew in most of 2005.

Spent like a drunken sailor on social programs that have and will continue to cost this country far more than the war in Iraq ever will. That's what Bush did wrong but as bad as that was we might have been okay of the left hadn't essentially talked the ecponomy to death over the last 8 years. Especially had the economy continued to grow at the pace it grew in most of 2005.

I'm with you on the 'spent like a drunken sailor' part. But what really got me was the Iraq war. I just have trouble putting that behind me.

I'm with you on the 'spent like a drunken sailor' part. But what really got me was the Iraq war. I just have trouble putting that behind me.

Yup......huge waste. And now....we're making it worse.

Forum List

Back