Republican economic wisdom

That and playing word games so that they can frame the debate.

What's a SMALL BUSINESS?

The meaning of that phrase is designed to obfucate reality.

they've spent almost 30 years perfecting the art of framing the debate. democrats were always very stupid in allowing that.

it's a total misrepresentation in any event. few small business owners are going to show $250,000 in personal income. there are too many ways to structure accounting practices to avoid that.

personally, i would define small business as one with less than 50 employees since that's how it's defined by FMLA, IIRC.

What's a SMALL BUSINESS?

They've spent almost 30 years perfecting the art of framing the debate. democrats were always very stupid in allowing that.

it's a total misrepresentation in any event. few small business owners are going to show $250,000 in personal income. there are too many ways to structure accounting practices to avoid that.

personally, i would define small business as one with less than 50 employees since that's how it's defined by FMLA, IIRC.

The US Small Business Association defines "small business" based on what industry that business is in.

They use different formulas for different industries.

Corporations in some cases with thousands of employees doing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of business can be defined as "Samll Business" according to the SBA.

And when you read, as we often do, that Small buseiness bla bla bla, they are not talking about your single owner operators.

But they want you to think they ARE so they can appear to be looking out for the little guy,

Obfuscating the truth by semantics is the Orwellian nightmare.

Welcome to the future.

Last edited:
Clinton didn't do squat. His Republican congress ,which was actually acting like Republicans rather than Democrats, did. Congress holds the Purse strings not the President.

The Democrats took back the Senate after Jumpin' Jim Jeffords went independent to break a fifty-fifty tie in 2001. In the 2002 elections the Republicans narrowly regained control of the Senate but the Margin was pretty much meaningless As the Yankee Republicans voted with Dems as much as with the Republicans and on social issues more so.

:lol: you guys crack me up.

"OMGZ! We didn't have the two straight quarters of economic loss so it's not a recession! Mauahhahaaha"

Well jeez, while this country went to hell in a handbasket; you can tell me how everything was just roses and peaches. :eusa_eh:

so say it's going to hell in a handbasket. don't say it's a recession.

its almost as dumb as saying bush didn't inherit a recession from clinton...or clinton gave busha surplus

actually, what's absurd is saying Bush did inherit a recession:

The Clinton/Gore Administration: Largest Surplus in History on Track

President Clinton announces another record budget surplus - September 27, 2000

The right wing has spent eight years trying to revise history. They seem to have a really ugly habit of doing that.

and the left NEVER does that. Clinton saying he was against Iraq, anyone?

What's a SMALL BUSINESS?

They've spent almost 30 years perfecting the art of framing the debate. democrats were always very stupid in allowing that.

The US Small Business Association defines "small business" based on what industry that business is in.

They use different formulas for different industries.

Corporations in some cases with thousands of employees doing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of business can be defined as "Samll Business" according to the SBA.

And when you read, as we often do, that Small buseiness bla bla bla, they are not talking about your single owner operators.

But they want you to think they ARE so they can appear to be looking out for the little guy,

Obfuscating the truth by semantics is the Orwellian nightmare.

Welcome to the future.
Welcome to the now.

its almost as dumb as saying bush didn't inherit a recession from clinton...or clinton gave busha surplus

The right wing has spent eight years trying to revise history. They seem to have a really ugly habit of doing that.
except that is all a LIE
there never was a surplus, the national debt continued to increase in EVERY year

Clinton didn't do squat. His Republican congress ,which was actually acting like Republicans rather than Democrats, did. Congress holds the Purse strings not the President.

The Democrats took back the Senate after Jumpin' Jim Jeffords went independent to break a fifty-fifty tie in 2001. In the 2002 elections the Republicans narrowly regained control of the Senate but the Margin was pretty much meaningless As the Yankee Republicans voted with Dems as much as with the Republicans and on social issues more so.
even still, there was no surplus, it was all playing with the books
hell, if a business tried to do what the government does, they would be thrown in jail for fraud

except that is all a LIE
there never was a surplus, the national debt continued to increase in EVERY year

Where is Houdini when you need to make stuff disappear?

I've spent a good deal of time here hammering the Republicans for their incompetence governing, but I'm going to give them a pass on this one, at least all but the last quote in October.

As odd as it may seem, there is some merit in downplaying or even denying an economic contraction until it becomes very clear since the economy is at least partially dependent on confidence. If the leadership were to start talking about how awful things are, they can begin or perpetuate a self-reinforcing spiral. So I would expect leadership to accentuate the positive.

In this respect, Obama hammering the banks and Wall Street does no good, even if he is correct.

I've spent a good deal of time here hammering the Republicans for their incompetence governing, but I'm going to give them a pass on this one, at least all but the last quote in October.

As odd as it may seem, there is some merit in downplaying or even denying an economic contraction until it becomes very clear since the economy is at least partially dependent on confidence. If the leadership were to start talking about how awful things are, they can begin or perpetuate a self-reinforcing spiral. So I would expect leadership to accentuate the positive.

In this respect, Obama hammering the banks and Wall Street does no good, even if he is correct.

Seems the MSM was hammering doom and gloom for about the last 9 months of 2008. Do you think that had an effect also?

Seems the MSM was hammering doom and gloom for about the last 9 months of 2008. Do you think that had an effect also?

It doesn't help. But that's not the reason why we are in a crisis. Even if the media didn't say a word about it, we'd still be in a terrible mess.
yup
the media hyping how bad everything is will change the way people spend
it is a self fulfilling prophecy

It doesn't help. But that's not the reason why we are in a crisis. Even if the media didn't say a word about it, we'd still be in a terrible mess.
yup

Yeah, maybe, but that's not how it has worked in the past.

Usually, the media is reporting bad news while the economy is turning. And it only becomes evident that the economy has turned many months later. For example, unemployment continues to rise at the beginning of an expansion, which has the press reporting bad things, even though economic activity has already picked up. I would be surprised if the coming recovery was any different.

yup

Usually, the media is reporting bad news while the economy is turning. And it only becomes evident that the economy has turned many months later. For example, unemployment continues to rise at the beginning of an expansion, which has the press reporting bad things, even though economic activity has already picked up. I would be surprised if the coming recovery was any different.
yes, but the media kept on it night after night for MONTHS

they never have done that before either

actually, there were those calling it the worst economy since the great depression for over 2 years

Last edited:
yup

actually, there were those calling it the worst economy since the great depression for over 2 years

They forgot about 1977 to 1981.

no kidding

no kidding

All the media has to do is quote our Obama. He gives a speech with the word crisis in it 25 times. Tell me he ain't playing on the fears of America?

Forum List

Back