Report: Syrian chemical weapons appearing in Hezbollah caches.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Doc91678, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Doc91678

Doc91678 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    By: Moe Lane
    December 22nd, 2012

(H/T: Instapundit) I am back-and-forth on how seriously to take this particular story:

Two days after a mysterious explosion at a Hezbollah weapons depot in southern Lebanon, the Kuwaiti website Al Jarida is reporting that Israel bombed the site because Syria had transferred missiles there that were capable of being equipped with chemical warheads. The missiles had been moved into Lebanon from Syria in the last several months and were being held inside warehouses owned by farmers in the area.

The report also claimed that Hezbollah has many additional warehouses across Lebanon that are used for the same purpose. In October another weapons storage facility in the town of Baalbek was destroyed after an explosion. The AFP said that four Syrians were killed in the blast.

…given that I’m not familiar with either the website in question, or the site that it’s drawing its story from. On the other hand, reports that Syria is using Hezbollah as a storage facility for its weapons of mass destruction have been circulating for years. Haaretz reported something similar happening in 2009; the Washington Post, of course, had a column on the subject a couple of days ago. On the gripping hand, if I was running the Syrian regime right now I’d want to have my WMD stockpiles under the control of somebody reliable… and when you’re dealing with a civil war, ‘somebody reliable’ often means ‘somebody you’re paying.’ So it’s not really surprising that the Assad regime would move its nasty stuff to someone who’d hold onto until it was needed – and maybe supply a little WMD blackmail against the West on the side, if that was needed.

And all of this leads to the next question: what are we going to do when the Syrian civil war reaches a tipping point? With reports coming in that the Assad regime is making cruise missile strikes against rebels – a pretty good indicator that the regime is worried; those things aren’t exactly recyclable – it may hit a point soon where we decide to intervene. If past history is any indication, if/when that happens it’d be done without reference to the War Powers Act… and if the (Democratic-controlled) Senate chooses to ignore that again then we might as well admit that the WPA is dead, dead, dead. Which is fine by me, but I was under the impression that various and sundry members of the antiwar movement had different opinions.

Report: Syrian chemical weapons appearing in Hezbollah caches. | RedState

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    Granny says it's like the right hand don't know what the left hand's doin'...
    :eusa_eh:
    U.S.: Syria didn't use chemical weapons in Homs incident
    January 16th, 2013 - The Syrian government did not use chemical weapons against residents of Homs in a December attack, a U.S. State Department investigation shows, but did apparently misuse a riot-control gas in the incident, according to senior U.S. officials.
    See also:

Chemical weapons used in Syria, diplomatic cable concludes
    January 16, 2013 - A secret State Department cable has concluded that the Syrian military likely used chemical weapons against its own people in a deadly attack last month, The Cable has learned.

3. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    Iran, Hezbollah's hand seen in terror attacks...
    :eek:
    Report: Iran, Hezbollah terror threat rising
    Jan 30,`13 WASHINGTON (AP) -- Iran's elite Quds Force and Hezbollah militants are learning from a series of botched terror attacks over the past two years and pose a growing threat to the U.S. and other Western targets as well as Israel, a prominent counterterrorism expert says.

4. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,217
    Good, I hope they wipe each other out.

I hate fucking muslims.

5. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    Evidence found Syria crossed the red-line...
    Envoy claims evidence of Syrian chemical weapons
    Sat, Apr 13, 2013 - Western nations have “hard evidence” that chemical weapons have been used at least once in the Syrian war, but a UN investigation is now unlikely to get into the country, diplomats said on Thursday.

6. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    Granny says Hezbollah wants to be the power behind the throne...
    Fierce Fighting Reveals Deeper Hezbollah Involvement in Syrian Civil War
    May 20, 2013 – After months of half-denials and doublespeak, Hezbollah appears now to be openly intervening in Syria’s civil war, fighting alongside regime forces amid new signals of defiance from President Bashar Assad.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. skye

skye Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,847
    Backed by Iran, Hezbollah is fighting now openly in Syria, the world is watching and fears of a regional full scale confrontation ...which will affect the whole world, will be the next chapter in this bloody war.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    if Syria is perceived as winning, watch Israel ramp up pressure.

I am of the mind, there is NO good outcome here.....

9. Trajan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    the Iranian presidential election is set for june 14....this will be interesting.

We have done and said squat and probably won't...we have left such a vacuum, this is all set up to become very very ugly.

10. Trajan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    Jordan is now the new place to watch, very closely. We have to sppt. them, if they tip, the consequences will be dramatic and horrible, most especially for israel.