Has America taken the good of the individual too far?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by musingsofacac, Dec 22, 2012.

1. musingsofacac

musingsofacac musingsofacac

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    By the title of this post one might think I am a liberal, but I am actually very conservative. While I believe in the rugged individualism of America's history, I believe in the last century we have taken individualism to a level even the founders would probably not agree with.

The main facts I use to site my case are from a recent article in the Weekly Standard called "Single Nation". It stated that 67% of males in America between the ages of 20 and 34 have never been married yet. It also stated that 57% of females in that same age group have never been married. We are also having less children even when we do get married.

We have become a selfish society, afraid of commitment, afraid of loosing ourselves in marriage or having children. Marriage and Family are the foundation of any successful society, when those things crumble, the nation will soon follow.

We are more concerned with with being able to own the big house, two new cars and take luxerious vacations than getting married, settling down and having children. Even when we have children we only want one or two - so we "can afford" to take care of them - that is code for "spoil them".

I believe in individualism where it supports,builds and encourages the growth of healthy marriages and families. I believe the focus of society needs to be on the good the family, as opposed the good of the nation, or the good the individual. Without strong families, the nation perishes, and with that the freedom of the individual.

So what can we do to change this trend? I believe we need to strongly encourage marriage, in fact we need to reverse the marriage penalty and make it the "marriage advantage" in taxes. We need to make it very beneficial to be married and to have children. Child tax credits should be doubled or quadrupled.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    Who needs individualism when you can pop out all the kids you want and have them (and yourself) taken care of by Uncle Sambama.

Change the trend by putting a Republican in the White House. Starve the deadbeats into the job market.

Democrats force poverty. Republicans force poverty-riders into the job market.

3. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    You have the right to believe what you want – and to be wrong, which you are in this case.

Now the question for you and other conservatives: will you accept the changing nature of our society and respect the right of the individual to express himself and live his personal life as he sees fit?

Or will you take the reactionary route typical of many conservatives and attempt to legislate morality, stifle diversity and dissent, and compel everyone to conform?

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    Today's individuals lack morality and flaunt diversity and dissent to the point of anarchy.

All the while demanding conformity to their way of life.

How about a cup of fuck off?

5. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,007
    OMG, is Pat Buchanan lecturing us...? My stomach is getting a little queasy...

6. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,751
    You seem to think marriage is the only defining characteristic of "family". Not so, a family can be any numbers and types of people living together under the same roof or even the same block or town. You do have a point about self-centeredness being a major problem but it is a carefully engineered trait to maximize consumer demand by our fine cash paying sponsors. Now back to the latest crappy reality show that teaches us that being a selfish insane prick is the key to stardom.

7. musingsofacac

musingsofacac musingsofacac

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I completely understand there are different types of "family". For instance my parents adopted my niece and nephew after they got custody from my sister and her husband(both dead beats at the time and multiple issues too many to go into). So my niece and nephew were basically raised by their grand parents, one is 18 and the other is 19 and they both turned out pretty good thanks to my parents.

But my parents would be the first to tell you that what happened with them(adopting my niece and nephew) is not the ideal situation and is not something we should encourage(grandparents raising kids) - parents should be responsible and raise their own kids. Yes single parents sometimes have to raise kids as well, but again it is not the ideal situation. In our society we seem to be so afraid of saying what is best, verses what sometimes happens because of wrong behavior and irresponsible behavior - we should not be ashamed to say that kids need a father and a mother, they need responsible parents who will love and sacrifice for them.

8. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,007
    OMG, it really is Pat...

9. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    According to what authority?

Millions of single parents do an excellent job of raising their children to become happy, well adjusted, productive members of society.

And you’ve not addressed the mechanics of how you’ll compel society to conform to your beliefs.

10. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,751
    Kids do not just need a father and a mother, any retard can procreate, they need guidance. Having two parents in the house is no golden road to anything, I would say that having one parent who creates a stable home environment is far superior to a Mom and Dad who fight and beat each other up periodically. I am of the opinion that the breakdown you are laminating is more due to a household requiring a least two working class paychecks to to be financially stable than some kind of moral decay. In our status symbol obsessed world kids learn very early their place in society is defined by their stuff and their cash on hand and that ruthlessness pays, literally.