Report: Level of poverty growing

I'm sick of door to door salesmen and have often told them "I have no money"....which is true as I don't have money to spend on stupid things sold door to door. How can you know if someone is poor simply by knocking on their door and trying to sell them something?

The truth is there are a lot of poor out there that don't have doors....or windows, or walls, or roofs.

And that still does not put their responsibility onto the shoulders of others

Of course it does. The government is suppose to provide for the welfare of the people. Shipping our jobs overseas and bringing in immigrants to compete with unskilled labor is not in the interests of the welfare of our people.

Spoke to one homeless man yesterday. He ran a business here for more than 30 years. He ended up short selling his house just to get out from under it. Seems that his work went overseas. He's left with nothing but his tools. Of course I'm sure you believe that it's HIS fault that his business went under because our jobs were sent overseas. Now he's stuck wondering if he should sell his tools, or keep them in the hopes that the economy will get better and he will be able to find a job down the road.

Fundamental difference. The government is not supposed to provide for the welfare of the people.

It's up to you to provide for yourself.

The government should make it as easy as possible for jobs to propsper -- they don't.

That said there are those that truely need government assistance, and they should get it. Then there is a gigantic chunk that take advantage of the system and live off other people's hard work.

I bet that there is more to this homeless story. In fact, I also would bet that if I offered him a job doing door to door selling like I have done he would say no. Just guessing...

Seems to me you learned squat...as it is not your fault...it is the CEO's and traders faults.

Yes. It is. Whether you want to admit it or not, they played craps with other people's nest eggs in order to make short term but HUGE profits for themselves. Then the taxpayers were left holding the bag. It is not my fault. I am not a CPA, so I sought out my investment company and followed their advice. Problem is, no one knew how bad it would get, especially not the dumbass "conservatives" that were saying that everything was AOK in the markets while Bear Stearns was going down. It is the CEOs, traders, lenders and the deregulation that caused this mess. Deregulation and greed.

Last edited:
Seems to me you learned squat...as it is not your fault...it is the CEO's and traders faults.

Yes. It is. Whether you want to admit it or not, they played craps with other people's nest eggs in order to make short term but HUGE profits for themselves. Then the taxpayers were left holding the bag. It is not my fault. I am not a CPA, so I sought out my investment company and followed their advice. Problem is, no one knew how bad it would get, especially not the dumbass "conservatives" that were saying that everything was AOK in the markets while Bear Stearns was going down. It is the CEOs, traders, lenders and the deregulation that caused this mess. Deregulation and greed.

They could not play craps with anyones nest egg without permission. You gave them the right to do it. I did not.

I learned a long time ago....if someone charges you to do something, they likely will look to maximize profits and put your best iunterest aside.

Followed the advice of an investment company?" That was your first mistake. Maybe you should have learned about what you were getting into?

Did not see it coming? Where were you?

No matter how hard you try to blame others, you can not do it with facts...only opinion.

You can not be hurt by the system unless you enter the system..

Peepers...why did you invest? So you can break even? Or did you invest so your money can make money for you?

Banks were offering 2% return....not bad for a zero risk investment....but YOU wanted more. Likewise, there are long term bonds and other investments that, again are low to no risk....but you opted to go for the other stuff. Why?
NBecause you wanted more.

It was foolish to play craps with your retirmenrt...>ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU ADMIT TO KNOW LITTLE ABOUT INVESTING.....but you did anyway...

And now you blame everyone but yourself.

QUestion.....did you ever make a lot of money in the market?

Up until 2008, I was making about 11% returns. I did everything I thought was right and asked expert advice, since no, I am not an expert. Barely anyone with a 401K is an investment wizard - give me a break. We just want to save money for retirement and maybe make a little more than they put in. My money is matched by my company, so I would have been a fool not to take part.

I didn't play "craps" with my investment. I did not have the risky stocks, but a mixture of "medium risk". Not that it mattered, almost everyone lost a bunch of their money... even those in low risk stock options. Don't lecture me about investing.

Most Americans still unprepared for retirement - survey - Mar. 9, 2010

Aren't you guys glad the traders and CEO's came away with their millions, bonuses and golden parachutes. Yeah, wealth isn't being funnelled to the top. You cons just keep telling yourselves that.

America's millionaires rebound in 2009 - Mar. 9, 2010

Even if all CEO pay were redistributed to The Poor, it wouldn't make much of a difference - there isn't enough of it.

Instead of the Green-Bug-Eyed Envy which results in wishing to pull everyone down to the level of The Poor (Gawd, am I tired of that Faux Sacred Cow) - it would be better for everyone to unfetter the economy so that it grows and creates jobs. The present Administration's policies are doing just the opposite.

I completely agree.

Other than creating a class warfare issue, it should make no difference to you what CEOs make. It should inspire you that you can make that money too. And yes you can.

If all the CEOS tomorrow lost their jobs and they weren't paid anything, it wouldn't make your situation $1 better.

Up until 2008, I was making about 11% returns. I did everything I thought was right and asked expert advice, since no, I am not an expert. Barely anyone with a 401K is an investment wizard - give me a break. We just want to save money for retirement and maybe make a little more than they put in. My money is matched by my company, so I would have been a fool not to take part.

And exactly what did you do to earn that 11%?
And likewise, what did you do with that 11% of "found money" each year?

Dont you get it Peepers? It was your desire to have your money make money for you that got you in the mess you are in.

And when you were earning that 11%....were you out there saying "this is not right...I should not be making 11% doing absolutlely nothing"?

Dont you see it Peepers...when the system worked in your favor, you were all for it....but the minute it turned on you....it is everyone elses fault.

Maybe one day you will get it.

But you are someone who claims there is no such thing as a conservative :cuckoo:...I just dont get that one....so I dont kow how far gone you are....

But I bet when you were making that 11% you were getting boners everytime you opened the statenment you got in the mail!

Liberalsim is a philosophy of convenience and offers no chance to learn. If it works, it is good....until it doesnt work....then it is bad....and soemone elses fault.

Wake up and smell the coffee peepers.....you blew it but you are young enough to learn from it...

And by the way...the 401(K) thingy....the employer match thing.....so the proimise of FREE MONEY from your employer was the impetus to invest?

Interesting....you sir....are one greedy mother fucker. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I didn't play "craps" with my investment. I did not have the risky stocks, but a mixture of "medium risk". Not that it mattered, almost everyone lost a bunch of their money... even those in low risk stock options. Don't lecture me about investing.
The point stands though. The stock market, no matter how diversified your portfolio is, isn't guaranteed to return anything on your investment, be it a mutual fund or your 401k. By putting money into the market, you're giving someone else your money and asking them to make money on it. If they screw up then certainly you've got some responsibility in paying them to screw up.

It's like if you hired someone to paint your house and they did a horrible job. Yes, it's their fault they did a horrible job, but it's also your fault for hiring a horrible painter. Then after the fact, you can't expect the government or someone else to come paint your house for you just because you AND the painter screwed it up the first time.

I'm probably a lot like you in that i don't know much about the stock market. Luckily for me, two of my uncles (who i'm pretty close with) manage my money. So, they basically treat mine and my families' money as if it were there own, and they're very good at it too. If i didn't have close family handling my investments then i'd probably educate myself much more on the stock market.

Last edited:
The point stands though. The stock market, no matter how diversified your portfolio is, isn't guaranteed to return anything on your investment, be it a mutual fund or your 401k.

I'm probably a lot like you in that i don't know much about the stock market. Luckily for me, two of my uncles (who i'm pretty close with) manage my money. So, they basically treat mine and my families' money as if it were there own., and they're very good at it too. If i didn't have close family handling my investments then i'd probably educate myself much more on the stock market.

It amazes me that people spend more time pricing out TV's than they do finding out about what they should do with their money.

Your last line...THAT is your biggest problem.

You are a jealous asshole Peepers. I did not get hurt by the market downtuirn....but do not lecture you on investing is all you can say......

OK...continue to be a angry peepers. I wont lecture you on where you erred.

You are on that bandwagon of ..."everyone got hurt".,...

No sir...not everyone....just those that do not wish to learn.

I'm sick of door to door salesmen and have often told them "I have no money"....which is true as I don't have money to spend on stupid things sold door to door. How can you know if someone is poor simply by knocking on their door and trying to sell them something?

The truth is there are a lot of poor out there that don't have doors....or windows, or walls, or roofs.

And that still does not put their responsibility onto the shoulders of others

Of course it does. The government is suppose to provide for the welfare of the people. Shipping our jobs overseas and bringing in immigrants to compete with unskilled labor is not in the interests of the welfare of our people.

Spoke to one homeless man yesterday. He ran a business here for more than 30 years. He ended up short selling his house just to get out from under it. Seems that his work went overseas. He's left with nothing but his tools. Of course I'm sure you believe that it's HIS fault that his business went under because our jobs were sent overseas. Now he's stuck wondering if he should sell his tools, or keep them in the hopes that the economy will get better and he will be able to find a job down the road.

No sheila.. it does not.. and that is the err in your belief

And by the way...the 401(K) thingy....the employer match thing.....so the proimise of FREE MONEY from your employer was the impetus to invest?

Well, there's no other way in this god-forsaken corporatist economy to save enough to retire on if you work a regular middle class job... Unless you're born rich or win the lottery.

But I bet when you were making that 11% you were getting boners everytime you opened the statenment you got in the mail!

No, because I know the stock market goes up and down and I was in it for the long haul.

Well, there's no other way in this god-forsaken corporatist economy to save enough to retire on if you work a regular middle class job... Unless you're born rich or win the lottery.

Was in Del Ray florida last week. Saw my mom in law and her husband..in a nice community....individual 2 bedroom homes.....modern...clubhouse...pool.....tennis courts....

About 500 homes in this gated community...all retirees.

Of the 40 or so I met there last week at the pool....seems none of them were rich while working....about 1/3 owned their own businesses...many worked in sales in the garment center.

Talk of the market was commonplace....most had little invested...none had 401 (k)'s......many had bonds and other low risk holdings before retirment.

Seems you wanted to retire better than you lived while working....but you certainly could have arranged a solid comfortable retirment without mid-risk and high risk investing.

You are at fault for not taking it simple....but please...continue to blame those that you trusted to help make your money nake big money for you.

Hint....it will get you nowhere in life with that type of thinking. Look at your life right now....How is that line of thinking doing for ya?

You are a jealous asshole Peepers. I did not get hurt by the market downtuirn....but do not lecture you on investing is all you can say......

Whatever, not that I believe a thing you say. Most people have a 401K and most people are not market analysis geniuses, which is why they go to the seminars and talk to their account representative. I know enough about the market to put my money where it works best for me, based on the packages that they offer. The fact is the stupid traders caused this financial mess with their bundled securities that should have never existed in the first place, not me. Did you know the average 401K account lost more than a quarter of their money in 2008 alone?

Typical U.S. Worker Saw 401(k) Lose 24.3% in 2008 - BusinessWeek

BTW. I am an asshole? Really? I guess when you know you're wrong, you've got nothing left than to insult someone needlessly. Where did I say I was jealous of anyone? God, you guys have no comprehension skils whatsoever. Keep blaming the investors and defending the traders. The corporatist way.

Last edited:
Hint....it will get you nowhere in life with that type of thinking. Look at your life right now....How is that line of thinking doing for ya?

My life is just fine, neocon. Thanks for asking. You know nothing about me. I DID INVEST IN MID-RISK STOCKS. I told you that already.

Seems you wanted to retire better than you lived while working....but you certainly could have arranged a solid comfortable retirment without mid-risk and high risk investing.

You are at fault for not taking it simple....but please...continue to blame those that you trusted to help make your money nake big money for you.

And where did I say I was trying to make big money? Man, the lack of reading comprehension skills is annoying.

Whatever, not that I believe a thing you say. Most people have a 401K and most people are not market analysis geniuses, which is why they go to the seminars and talk to their account representative. I know enough about the market to put my money where it works best for me, based on the packages that they offer. The fact is the stupid traders caused this financial mess with their bundled securities that should have never existed in the first place, not me. Did you know the average 401K account lost more than a quarter of their money in 2008 alone?

Typical U.S. Worker Saw 401(k) Lose 24.3% in 2008 - BusinessWeek

BTW. I am an asshole? Really? I guess when you know you're wrong, you've got nothing left than to insult someone needlessly. Where did I say I was jealous of anyone? God, you guys have no comprehension skils whatsoever. Keep blaming the investors and defending the traders. The corporatist way.

Yeah...the asshole comment was out of line.
I apologize.

Ummm...wrong...

Everyone can live within their means and save money beyond 401Ks if they exert discipline and control their spending.

Cook at home...get books from the library...dry clothes on a line instead of the dryer so they last longer...Pay Into Savings Like It's A Bill...buy a good used car and keep it maintained...have staycations

Very early in my career, a wise person gave me the advice to not increase my life style everytime I received a raise or bonus. Even when I earned very little, I would still put something into savings. I did without things that like a new car and fancy vacations...and it was worth it. Money in the bank is more rewarding than excessive consumption.

Forum List

Back