Report: GM Prepares for 'Surgical' Bankruptcy

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The Treasury Department is directing General Motors to prepare for a bankruptcy filing by June 1, despite GM's assertion that it could still reorganize without such a filing, The New York Times reported unnamed sources as saying on Monday.

Members of President Obama's automotive task force are said to have been in discussion with GM officials and its advisers in Detroit and Washington last week and are expected to continue this week.

The White House-appointed autos task force has given GM 60 days to come up with a restructuring plan and it is trying to determine whether the automaker can be a viable company.

Quoting sources who had been briefed on the GM plans, the Times said the goal was to prepare for a fast "surgical" bankruptcy.

The automaker's strategy for a quick trip through bankruptcy court is likely to spark legal challenges from bondholders worried about getting steamrolled.

Key members of an ad hoc committee representing GM bondholders have begun preparing arguments against the auto maker's bankruptcy plan, according to people familiar with the strategy.

GM's leading bankruptcy plan would break the company into two parts: a good GM made up of strong assets, such as Chevrolet and the auto maker's Chinese operations; and a bad GM of underperforming assets and billions of dollars in obligations that essentially would be wound down in bankruptcy court.

FOXNews.com - Report: GM Prepares for 'Surgical' Bankruptcy - Auto

I've been doing a little observation exercise when I go out. Like just the other day I shopped at Target! In the parking lot only 1 of 15 cars was a GM product. Overwhelmingly the cars in the parking lot were Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsibishu, and a couple of volvo.. I don't think GM can make a comeback.

What do you see when you go out?

all that bailout money went to the Union, fire the CEO, then file bankrupt...very nice leadership from the POTUS /sarcasim.

all that bailout money went to the Union, fire the CEO, then file bankrupt...very nice leadership from the POTUS /sarcasim.

yep! and the people who lent good money (bondholders) to this lousy company are going to take a big big loss.. Figures! Don't count on taxppayers being treated any more fairly by the unions either. BUy Toyota.

I've been doing a little observation exercise when I go out. Like just the other day I shopped at Target! In the parking lot only 1 of 15 cars was a GM product. Overwhelmingly the cars in the parking lot were Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsibishu, and a couple of volvo.. I don't think GM can make a comeback.

Whereabouts do you live Willow? Brand ownership has something to do with living near salt water! If you're on or near the coast, expect to see more imports.

and GM will start a new company under another name...I bet the UNION gets a sweet deal! Now we see why the old CEO was fired by the POTUS for I'm sure he wouldn't go along with what their GRAND PLAN was for the Union and Company. To hell with the little people.

Yeah there is real hope and I've always said with Obama's "Change" motto and that is, he isn't lying...he is giving you change, it's just not the change that most imagined. He proves that the old saying of "Becareful what you wish for" is so fucking true.

Just par for the course these days. What's next?

Sad to say that we bought a Caddy CTS just before Christmas of this year. I like the car but don't like supporting the bad guys.

Last edited:

Whereabouts do you live Willow? Brand ownership has something to do with living near salt water! If you're on or near the coast, expect to see more imports.

if I got any nearer to the coast I'd be wet.

LOL! Well, that'd do it then. There has traditionally been a much higher percentage of imports in coastal areas. In the midwest / "heartland", it skews the other way.

I live about 20 miles north of Detroit, where people who drive imports are considered unpatriotic. I have a Dodge RAM, but my wife drives a Toyota RAV 4. Someone keyed it just before Christmas - probably a patriot who was full of Christmas spirit!

Nice leadership, indeed. Get rid of the deadwood, get some real accounting, then make the neccessary decisions on the basis of that accounting.

LOL! Well, that'd do it then. There has traditionally been a much higher percentage of imports in coastal areas. In the midwest / "heartland", it skews the other way.

I live about 20 miles north of Detroit, where people who drive imports are considered unpatriotic. I have a Dodge RAM, but my wife drives a Toyota RAV 4. Someone keyed it just before Christmas - probably a patriot who was full of Christmas spirit!

More than likely it was a "tolerant" democwat! I'm surprised they have Toyota dealerships up there. :lol:

Nice leadership, indeed. Get rid of the deadwood, get some real accounting, then make the neccessary decisions on the basis of that accounting.
So say you because you're not that CEO, you don't manage anything but your biased post on this board. Here have a nice ice cold glass of the Kool Aide

So say you because you're not that CEO, you don't manage anything but your biased post on this board. Here have a nice ice cold glass of the Kool Aide

I say it because for all to long we have seen CEOs getting enormous pay packages for failure. And in my job, if I am incompetant, I am out on my ear, no parachute of any kind. Should be the same for CEOs. They too, like myself, are hirelings.

I say it because for all to long we have seen CEOs getting enormous pay packages for failure. And in my job, if I am incompetant, I am out on my ear, no parachute of any kind. Should be the same for CEOs. They too, like myself, are hirelings.
If the company makes millions and millions then shouldn't the CEO get paid well? How come the Union boss wasn't fired also? You start approving the large corprations CEO's to work for your wages it's only a matter of time before you wages are too much also!

Don't buy into the class warfare because frankly I'm sure people around you think you make too much and you should be getting less so they can have more. It will be never ending! I can go on and on, but I have errands to run in my CADDY (grrr)

If the company makes millions and millions then shouldn't the CEO get paid well? How come the Union boss wasn't fired also? You start approving the large corprations CEO's to work for your wages it's only a matter of time before you wages are too much also!

Don't buy into the class warfare because frankly I'm sure people around you think you make too much and you should be getting less so they can have more. It will be never ending! I can go on and on, but I have errands to run in my CADDY (grrr)

Don't buy into class warfare? LOL The rich have been winning class warfare since 1980. In real money terms, flat line for the middle class, and less than that for the working poor. In the meantime, the wealthy have seen a major increase in real money income, and recieved a huge tax reduction to boot. So don't give me that "class warfare" bullshit. We are in real class warfare, and will continue to be.

More than likely it was a "tolerant" democwat! I'm surprised they have Toyota dealerships up there. :lol:

They're not as rare as you might think, but still fairly thin on the ground. For example, there are 17 Toyota dealers in Michigan, but 167 Chevy dealers (a 1:10 ratio). Now Michigan isn't really a fair place to compare but it's broadly similar for somewhere else in the midwest, like Indiana (17 Toyota, 130 Chevy, ratio 1 : 7.7)

By way of comparison for the coastal markets

..................................Toyota.....................Chevy...................Ratio
New York.......................50..........................197......................1 : 3.9
California......................125..........................207......................1 : 1.7
Florida...........................48..........................108......................1 : 2.3

Forum List

Back