Repeal the 17th Amendment!

Why split hairs?

We don't need militias any more. Let's repeal the second amendment

Sure....let's leave everything up to the government to decide, let them decide what's best for us.

Gun rights should be determined at the state level

Nation defense is provided by our armed services, militias are not needed
Well... guess you've already just made up your mind to bend over and grab your ankles and let the government just ram it to ya, no matter if it's tyranny or not, hell ya, we should never fight back or have anything to fight back with. We should just TAKE IT!

No, we shouldn't. Glad your fucked up opinion is the minority.

. . . . Repealing the 17th is the ONLY sure way to get the electorate engaged in local and state politics and clean up that FREAKIN' MESS in Washington. It HAS to start at the local level!. . . .
Well, well, well . . . a call for an inverse populism to revert control of the Senators from We the People to the controlled interests in the state leges.

Your argumentation fails.
Ok...let me get this straight. You actually believe that YOU and the voters of your state...IF you are actually in America...have control over your Senator? LMFAOff!!!!!!! THAT is the most nonsensical, rose tent view of the world that I've heard in YEARS! Let's see, I'm not sure WHERE "in the mainstream" that you list as your location is, but I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that your "mainstream" Senators are at LEAST a million dollars richer than they were before they took office. And likely SEVERAL millions richer if they serve more than one term. And I'll bet a MILLION that it didn't come from YOU! You as a voter do NOT control them. Hell, you don't even elect them. Their IMAGE is elected and THAT has only just started to change over the last couple years with the involvement of the TEA Party. They don't fear ya, they don't respect ya, they are not looking out for your interest and they DAMN sure ain't looking out for the interest of your state! In short...YOU FAIL!
You fail to grasp the complexity of the problem, fail to grasp the concept the founders intended and fail to grasp the depths to which the system has sank since the passage of the 17th Amendment. That...or you know and are just a willing shill for progressive movement. Either way...FAIL!

You do not grasp the problem at all, friend. You have made no case to change the system. Your path would merely have the The state parties will control the Senate, not the will of the people.

Well, well, well . . . a call for an inverse populism to revert control of the Senators from We the People to the controlled interests in the state leges.

Your argumentation fails.
Ok...let me get this straight. You actually believe that YOU and the voters of your state...IF you are actually in America...have control over your Senator? LMFAOff!!!!!!! THAT is the most nonsensical, rose tent view of the world that I've heard in YEARS! Let's see, I'm not sure WHERE "in the mainstream" that you list as your location is, but I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that your "mainstream" Senators are at LEAST a million dollars richer than they were before they took office. And likely SEVERAL millions richer if they serve more than one term. And I'll bet a MILLION that it didn't come from YOU! You as a voter do NOT control them. Hell, you don't even elect them. Their IMAGE is elected and THAT has only just started to change over the last couple years with the involvement of the TEA Party. They don't fear ya, they don't respect ya, they are not looking out for your interest and they DAMN sure ain't looking out for the interest of your state! In short...YOU FAIL!
You fail to grasp the complexity of the problem, fail to grasp the concept the founders intended and fail to grasp the depths to which the system has sank since the passage of the 17th Amendment. That...or you know and are just a willing shill for progressive movement. Either way...FAIL!

You do not grasp the problem at all, friend. You have made no case to change the system. Your path would merely have the The state parties will control the Senate, not the will of the people.

How is the Senate acting on the will of the people now?

How will your system rectify the "problem" now? Give it back to state political parties? I think not.

How will your system rectify the "problem" now? Give it back to state political parties? I think not.

Senators are supposed to represent the interests of each state, so giving state parties control is exactly the point, dipshit.

Senators are supposed to represent the interests of each state, so giving state parties control is exactly the point, [I admit I am a] dipshit.

So the corruption, according to you, will be done at the state party level.

John C. Calhoun would have loved your support in 1850.

See...this is EXACTLY what you don't seem to grasp. Repealing the 17th Amendment would NOT be CHANGING the system. It is RESTORING the system. It was changed in a DAMAGING manner in 1918 with passage of the 17th!

The case for changing it was based on a faulty assertion back then and the case for keeping it is based on THE SAME STINKIN' THINKIN'!!!

Senators are supposed to represent the interests of each state, so giving state parties control is exactly the point, [I admit I am a] dipshit.

Since corruption is a FACT OF LIFE in politics...I prefer to have is at the LOCAL level where we the people can MAKE THEM PAY and a bunch of liberal LOONS can't INFLICT their insanity on the entire nation.

So YES...I prefer my corruption at the local level!!!

Since corruption is a FACT OF LIFE in politics...I prefer to have is at the LOCAL level where we the people can MAKE THEM PAY and a bunch of liberal LOONS can't INFLICT their insanity on the entire nation.

Exactly right! Down where we can do something about it and rely on our local media to expose it so that we can.

Exactly right! Down where we can do something about it and rely on our local media to expose it so that we can.

Like they did not before the 17th was ratified.

Guys, please give us one compelling reason, which has not been done yet.

Now the problem is the national media not corruption in politics at the national and the state levels?

Now the problem is the national media not corruption in politics at the national and the state levels?

The citizenry will only object to corruption problems they are aware of. National media covers corruption selectively. Local media has much less an option of treating corruption that way, and even without their doing that responsibly, people find out and take appropriate action. In the case of US senators, when the state legislature changes, then the option is renewed to throw out one of them.

Were the local media failing before the 17th? Or was the national media?

And there is not verifiable evidence for your assertion, American Horse.

The 17th amendment gives power back to the people of the state, why this is still debated is absurd to me given important issues that are never discussed. When the do nothing congress does something we can then take them serious. I can just picture some of the loonies state houses would select - you gotta be kidding or lost in mental guerrilla warfare with the federal government if you think repeal makes any sense.

Were the local media failing before the 17th? Or was the national media?

And there is not verifiable evidence for your assertion, American Horse.

To all but those with bias as filters it is obvious

Sigh. AH, your assertion is not evidence. Please give us verifiable evidence, or your assertion is simply that, nothing more, and certainly no reason to change the 17th.

I've said it before, but apparently I was too subtle in my statement of it.

THE INTERNET!!!!

Is that clear enough for ya? The difference between today and 1918 is the INTERNET!

Politicians and the drive by media are getting their ASSES handed to them by the internet, talk radio, 24 hour news outlets...the INFORMATION AGE. They can't get away with squat and THEY DON'T LIKE IT!

Why...over the last 6 years since democrats took over Congress, do you think that this "fairness" doctrine over internet content has come up more than a dozen times. Hell...Obama asked for a freakin' OFF switch for the internet!

Just do a google search for Acorn fraud. Over 5 MILLION hits. Do one for 90 thousand dollars in the freezer and see what you get. Nearly 6 MILLION hits. Did you hear about William Jefferson's cold hard cash from the main stream media? Bet NOT!

Dude, you are not grasping the true genius behind the way the founders set the system up, the HELL that the 17th amendment has inflicted on our system OR the impact that the repeal of the amendment, combined with the information age would have on cleaning up politics in this country.

Apparently, some of you guys WANT this country to become Greece, Spain, France or one of those shinning examples of political process, where bribery and payola is not only acceptable...but EXPECTED!

I, for one, do NOT!!!

I've said it before, but apparently I was too subtle in my statement of it.

THE INTERNET!!!!

Is that clear enough for ya? The difference between today and 1918 is the INTERNET!

Politicians and the drive by media are getting their ASSES handed to them by the internet, talk radio, 24 hour news outlets...the INFORMATION AGE. They can't get away with squat and THEY DON'T LIKE IT!

Why...over the last 6 years since democrats took over Congress, do you think that this "fairness" doctrine over internet content has come up more than a dozen times. Hell...Obama asked for a freakin' OFF switch for the internet!

Just do a google search for Acorn fraud. Over 5 MILLION hits. Do one for 90 thousand dollars in the freezer and see what you get. Nearly 6 MILLION hits. Did you hear about William Jefferson's cold hard cash from the main stream media? Bet NOT!

Dude, you are not grasping the true genius behind the way the founders set the system up, the HELL that the 17th amendment has inflicted on our system OR the impact that the repeal of the amendment, combined with the information age would have on cleaning up politics in this country.

Apparently, some of you guys WANT this country to become Greece, Spain, France or one of those shinning examples of political process, where bribery and payola is not only acceptable...but EXPECTED!

I, for one, do NOT!!!

That's your opinion, it is garbled and confused in your reasoning, and makes absolutely no compelling argument for change.

End of story.

Forum List

Back